PDA

View Full Version : Comparison C.Sharps/Shiloh Sharps

218bee
06-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Don't want to start a hornets nest but here goes. Would like to hear from folks that have experience with BOTH. Its easy to spout opinions but looking for objective opinions from those with experience. Looking for good/bad points of each in categories of quality/fit/finish/accuracy/price and whatever else comes to mind. I know some of you have been lucky enough to try them both. What say ye
:coffee:

Don McDowell
06-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Outside the slightly different shape and style of forearms, its really hard to tell them apart at a distance.
Shooting wise is a wash also.
Price difference isn't enough to get excited about.(both are a better value all the way around than anything shipped out of Italy at current currency exchange rates)
Either one is a fine investment that will hold its value for a couple of generations without any problem.
Shiloh takes a bit longer to get, but that don't count as either a plus or a minus its just the way it is.

NickSS
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
I own both and to me the Shiloh has a slight edge on fit and finish but not that big. As far as everything else about them they are the same. A really good buy is the C. Sharps 1875 model. I have three at the moment and have had several others in the past. They are strong, very accurate and a bargan at the price compared to any import rifle. C Sharps also makes a first class copy of the Winchester High Wall. Just comparing the 1874 modles they both make a first quality rifle with the best of materials. The only negative thing I can say about the C. Sharps rifles is that their idea of wood quality above straight grain Walnut is lower than Shiloh similar grade.

montana_charlie
06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
and whatever else comes to mind.
If technical differences interest you...
I think C. Sharps mills their receivers while Shiloh uses investment castings. There may also be different methods employed in cutting the barrels, but I haven't brushed up on that.

Considering the serviceability of both finished products, the technical differences probably don't matter to any but the most anal.
CM

218bee
06-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I appreciate the input gents

06-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Can't add much to what has been posted. I own both and shoot both in 45 cal.
Regarding the two I own....

I think the fit and finish on the Shiloh is a little better than on the CSA. But the Shiloh was ordered at a little fancier grade and the CSA at a more utility grade. The muzzle crown on the Shiloh has a flat face and the CSA is very rounded. The function of both is excellent and the triggers are exellent. The Shiloh's hammer down, rest position is a little different from the CSA. The bores on both are excellent and mic'd bore and groove diameters are almost identical. Basic accuracy from both is tops.