PDA

View Full Version : What don't you like?

rintinglen
10-01-2016, 10:02 AM
What particular model or style of weapon don't you Like? Which guns leave you going "meh" when you see them in the gun case? Remembering that one man's meat is another man's poison, pick your poison.
I'll start by saying that I have never caught "Glockitis." To my taste, they are too blocky, and too large for me to comfortably shoot well, especially their big boy models in the 45 and 10 MM chamberings. Their compact models are like two bricks shortened and joined. Coupled with aesthetics that only a mother could love, and a near sighted one at that, the Glock just never made my bell ring.
Which guns or styles left you underwhelmed?

scattershot
10-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Chiappa Rhino. That's the ugliest gun to ever fall off the truck, imo.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-01-2016, 10:15 AM
If this is just about handguns only, then I would say anything stamped H&R or IJ.

snowwolfe
10-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Even though I own 2 AR's they are not my cup of tea. I bought the first one for home defense and second to replace my bolt action varmint rifle. The one that replaced my varmint rifle will easily shoot 1/2 MOA or better.
I am slowly growing to dislike most semi auto revolvers. The only ones I would buy are rimfires and any that look like a government .45 ACP

Skunk1
10-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Bought one of them ARs years ago. Put one 30rd clip through it and it's been in the safe since. I don't look at them in the stores or at shows. I like firearms with some nice wood on them.

Lead Fred
10-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Dont own any weapons, only firearms. When I was in the military they had weapons.
The worse one there was the M203. Heavy, bulky, and both the M16 & M79 did a better job before they put them on the same platform.

I love everything in the three lock box. Even the 1965 SKS.

376Steyr
10-01-2016, 10:58 AM
S&W revolvers with the "Hillary-hole" lock. When I see that I instantly dismiss said handgun from consideration of purchase.

dverna
10-01-2016, 11:02 AM
In handguns, the snubbies without a hammer. In semi-autos, the little pocket .25's

The Governor
10-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Amen on the S&W's with lock holes.

375supermag
10-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Hi...

Not a fan of Glocks, either. In point of fact, I am not a big fan of polymer pistols in general. I own exactly one, an M&P S&W 40. Got it a couple of years ago...needed a new caliber to work with and decided to check out the polymer-framed pistols at the same time. It is an OK cartridge and platform but I have no particular affection for it. I shoot it pretty regularly but not as much as other handguns.

I am more of a revolver and 1911-type guy.
The last four handguns I have bought have all been SA revolvers. I bought a practically new BlackHawk in .41Mag a few weeks ago and a NIB Cimmaron Cattleman Cody (nickel) in .45Colt last week.
Still awaiting delivery of two old-model SAA-clones from Cimmaron in .44Special.

I also know where there are two SA .45Colts on sale for under $400 each. One is a BlackHawk, the other is a Virginian Dragoon. I am still trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger both literally and figuratively on those. I would like to have another BlackHawk in .45Colt but that Dragoon is pulling hard on my wallet.

No polymer handguns on the horizon for me. FWIW, I do not care for the .410 chambered Taurus ans S&W handguns, either. And those Chiappa guns are just plain ugly...zero interest.

As far as rifles go...I have been looking for a good deal on something like a used older M70 Winchester or M700 Remington in a medium caliber from .243 up to .308. I had a line on a Sako in .243 at a local shop but the owner put it on an auction site and won't sell it...I dislike auctions so I probably won't get that rifle although I am monitoring the site, just in case. I am in no hurry to buy a rifle so I can wait until the right deal comes around, since I have more than enough hunting rifles and any new rifle I buy is going to be used for target shooting and load experimentation almost exclusively. I like wood stocked bolt action rifles and blued steel over stainless.

Earlwb
10-01-2016, 11:46 AM
I had a Glock years ago, but they always felt a little too slippery to me. Maybe just me, but I felt it would slip out of my hand, or I would miss it when drawing it out of the holster. I wound up selling it eventually.

mozeppa
10-01-2016, 12:00 PM
contenders ...or bolt action pistols.

look aweful.

imashooter2
10-01-2016, 12:12 PM
9mm semi autos. I have a couple 1911s in .45, but never had a 9 anything really appeal to me. That said, I'm really a revolver guy...

bouncer50
10-01-2016, 12:18 PM
I am old school no plastic guns. Rifle all steel and wood stock. Pistol all steel when i can stag grips. I love the looks of stag grips on guns and knifes. I do admit to having AR and Fn fal with plastic stocks but that the way they come. The days of wood and steel guns are like cars getting to be mostly plastic.

JWT
10-01-2016, 12:19 PM
I'll start by saying that I have never caught "Glockitis." To my taste, they are too blocky, and too large for me to comfortably shoot well, especially their big boy models in the 45 and 10 MM chamberings.

Never liked the Glocks or any of the plastic handguns inspired by the Glock.

Rifles... AR-15 does nothing for me. I'm also not a fan of the Savage 99 shape.

Mtnfolk75
10-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Basically, I'm in the NO AR's or Plastic Gun group. I bought a used Glock 19 in January 1990, it was built in November 1989. Since then I have owned at least 10 of the critters, now only 2 & they are SWMBO's guns ( The G19 from 1990 & her EDC G26 ). I've owned pretty much all types of Semi-Auto's and tons of Revolvers, now I'm at the point of Revolvers only. On the AR's, I got my fill of that years ago & have never personally owned one ..... [smilie=s:

dubber123
10-01-2016, 01:33 PM
S&W's with locks put me off, even though I do own a 625 4" bought to beat on in plates shooting, and it has been a good gun. Never cared for the look of a Glock, and would only consider one for a car or house gun if I could get it cheap. Finally bought a polymer gun this year, a Shield in .40, and I actually have grown to like it. Primarily for dependability and being basically rust proof for daily carry.

Hardcast416taylor
10-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Plastic guns, doesn`t matter if it is a pistol - rifle - or shotgun.Robert

NoAngel
10-01-2016, 03:31 PM
1911's of all kinds.
Antiquated boat anchors. They are heavy, clumsy, and despite what the worshippers scream, they are nothing like reliable compared to modern sidearm alternatives. Ask most any professional trainer. Beautiful when well built but nothing more. If JMB were alive today with all our manufacturing tools and materials at his disposal, he would never build another 1911 again. Evident by his true brainchild and finest work, The Browning Hi-Power. He was an innovator and on the cutting edge of everything. Today, he would be working with injection molding and 5 axis machining centers.
I have had a fair few and shot several high dollar examples. I have never held another pistol that made me want to quit shooting....except the 1911. If given the choice, I would rather buy a HI-Point and be quite happy.

ktw
10-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Don't Like: TC Contender handguns
Do like: TC Contender carbines

Don't like: AR platform
Do Like: old military rifles in wood & steel

Don't like: auto-loaders
Do Like: single shots and manually operated repeaters

Don't like: Stainless Steel
Do like: Blued Steel

Don't Like: modern, inline muzzleloaders
Do Like: traditional flintlock/caplock muzzleloaders

Don't like: magazines
Do like: revolver cylinders

Don't like: any handgun caliber outside of .357/.452
Do like: 38 Special and 45 ACP.

-ktw

NoAngel
10-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Ohh, and I really hate finely crafted flint lock rifles.

I want one so bad, they are not guns, they are deadly pieces of art. I hate them because I know me and I know I am too hard headed to learn the art. Too impatient to load and to carry all the needed accoutrements. Too much a trifling lazy SOB to clean and care for them the way the need and deserve.

45workhorse
10-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Any in line muzzle loader.

And any gun that misses the target I am shooting at:mrgreen:

Tom W.
10-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Those ugly revolvers that shoot .45 Colt and .410 shotgun shells.

koehlerrk
10-01-2016, 05:35 PM
I don't like the AK platform. Any variety. Even the shotguns.

Yes, they're reliable, but they're clunky, heavy, and just don't feel good in my hands.

After that, any AK or AR based pistol. I think those things are ugly beyond belief and are just plain useless.

JMHO, YMMV

hp246
10-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Anything with black plastic furniture. I get it. I understand how indestructible it is. Call me old school. I just like a set of walnut or goncalvo alve grips. even if they are beat up. in fact, even better if they are beat up and show some character.

bedbugbilly
10-01-2016, 06:31 PM
I agree with the OP - I've never caught "Glockitus" - but to be fair, I've never shot one either.

I'm more of a revolver guy. My comment will probably leave some scratching their head - but I had always wanted to see what the "Python fever" was all about. I bought a 4" blued at a VERY good price once - shot it twice and hated it. I just don't like all that extra iron on a wheelgun. Give me a good 'ol vintage Smith M & P anyway. Fact is, most of my wheel guns are "vintage". Just something special about 'em as well as SAA. But, as the OP says, one man's meat is another man's poison. If we all liked the same thing, life would be pretty boring.

brtelec
10-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Although I own Glocks and Government Models and a few other semi autos I find them about as interesting as a hammer. I own 2 ARs, and I find them just as interesting. They are tools, they have their purposes but I do not even notice them other than that.

tygar
10-01-2016, 08:15 PM
What particular model or style of weapon don't you Like? Which guns leave you going "meh" when you see them in the gun case? Remembering that one man's meat is another man's poison, pick your poison.
I'll start by saying that I have never caught "Glockitis." To my taste, they are too blocky, and too large for me to comfortably shoot well, especially their big boy models in the 45 and 10 MM chamberings. Their compact models are like two bricks shortened and joined. Coupled with aesthetics that only a mother could love, and a near sighted one at that, the Glock just never made my bell ring.
Which guns or styles left you underwhelmed?

+1, +2, +3, +4, +5, etc etc etc ad nausem

Highway41
10-02-2016, 10:32 AM
AR rifles do absolutely nothing for me. I built one just before the panic, took it to the range once and then stuck it in the safe. A co worker offered me a premium for it during the panic and I didn't have to think twice. I've sold guns in the past I still kick myself for selling but the AR isn't one of them.

Taurus Judge and S&W Governor and their kind... I do not see the use or logic.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ballistics in Scotland
10-02-2016, 11:38 AM
If this is just about handguns only, then I would say anything stamped H&R or IJ.

While the break-open Iver Johnson could fairly be described as at the top of the bottom-of-the-market range, it had quite a lot going for it. It has a double-action hammer lifter, copied from the French M1873, so that the delicate part of the hammer which contacts the single-action sear doesn't have to roll over a doubl-action pawl. This lifter and the hand are controlled by a single spring, which doesn't scrape up and down against any part of the frame. It was H&R's idea to extend their "safety lifter" upward to act as a transfer bar, which is a cheap and less quality-dependent method than most of producing a rebounding and blocked hammer.

FergusonTO35
10-02-2016, 08:55 PM
I absolutely can't stand Picatinny rails and hanging gadgets off of a gun. No better way to instantly make a gun ugly. Sig Sauer went from having some of the best looking pistols in the world to just functional by carving an ugly strip of railroad track on to the bottom of their pistols. I think the original M16 and AR-15 are handsome rifles. The tacticool variants with collapsible stocks, no carry handle rear sight, and 40 pounds of junk hanging off the forend are just hideous.

NoAngel
10-02-2016, 09:01 PM
I will agree with the gadgets and attachments with the exception of a low profile light. My bedside pistol is a G19 with a small light underneath. A small light on the handguard of an AR is very nice too when things are making noise outside and one needs to go see what it is....at 3am.

Light technology has advanced so much that the need for a big gaudy contraption is a thing of the past. Thank god.

pcmacd
10-02-2016, 09:02 PM
I agree with the OP - I've never caught "Glockitus" - but to be fair, I've never shot one either.

I'm more of a revolver guy. My comment will probably leave some scratching their head - but I had always wanted to see what the "Python fever" was all about. I bought a 4" blued at a VERY good price once - shot it twice and hated it. I just don't like all that extra iron on a wheelgun. Give me a good 'ol vintage Smith M & P anyway. Fact is, most of my wheel guns are "vintage". Just something special about 'em as well as SAA. But, as the OP says, one man's meat is another man's poison. If we all liked the same thing, life would be pretty boring.

The G19 gen 2 was the first weapon I ever bought, and likely the last I would ever give up. They are dependable. On two different occasions mine fell into the sand out in the desert. Both times I picked it up, blew the junk off barrel/ejection port, and emptied 15 rounds into the berm w/o a burp. Only time it ever failed was a trigger reset spring at about 10,000 rounds. I'm probably past 16K and should change it again ($2 part, takes just a few minutes.) It still looks brand new. It is almost small enough to conceal in a back jeans pocket. I could shoot somebody in the head with it at 25 yards, every time. Not the most accurate weapon I've shot, but good enough for self defense considering the reliability it brings to the table. Are they for everybody? Clearly not, but I'd take that G19 over any other semi auto I've ever seen, owned, or shot. I like my G22 gen2 almost as much....

I'm a small time dealer. Two weeks back a guy wanted some form of M&P from me. I located one, and asked him why not a G19? I gave him a pitch pretty much as above; he said get one. Couldn't find one. Told him I'd rather he bought a Glock from the competition than an M&P from me, that's how much I prefer the Glock.

All that being said, the girlfriend is getting a revolver, as they are just so much simpler to operate.

I guess we are really lucky to have so many choices, and as such, so many opinions.

Bzcraig
10-02-2016, 09:46 PM
Cold AND wind, boiled spinach, aparagus, Glocks, Chiappa Rhino and getting old!

Idaho45guy
10-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Berretta 92 pistols... Carried a 1911 when I started in the military, then we switched to the M9. Don't like the looks, the feeling, the performance...

shoot-n-lead
10-02-2016, 10:28 PM
I don't like fools that expound on proven guns...and have, obviously, no experience with or idea what in hell they are talking about...and want to try to pass themselves off as a knowledgeable "gun" guy.

I don't Glocks, Beretta's or Sig's...poor ergonomics.

rking22
10-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Well, tactical anything tops my "don't like"list, along with plastic. Don't care if it's black, pink or camo I'm not interested. Inline muzzle loaders, ARs and Glocks because I am sick of hearing how wonderful they are. ARs, and for that matter anything with the vertical pistol grip, do not handle well for me, and that's before they hang all the junk on them! Glocks don't fit my hand, and the triggers too short and light for SD FOR ME. I get that they are real reliable but so are many other firearms that work better for me, so stop trying to make me like something that doesn't interest me. Slings on shotguns are a puzzle to me, tried it once, ???. Anything sold on velocity, Weatherby, Short magnums, 1000fps spring guns.
DA revolvers, blued steel and walnut anything, and flintguns get my attention. I've owned an AR and shot lots of them but sold mine before I even finished the build. WW2 era military rifles are fully functional in my world and work better for me. Presently own 2 plastic pistols (Kahr45 and a TCP380), both functional but nothing special. The all metal CZ75, Beretta 84/86, and 1911s are interesting. Had an inline before White thought of it, it was boaring and I traded it off. I presently carry a M36 bobbed hammer, hunt with 50+ year old pump shotguns, a 41Special revolver, and lever guns. Just old school and like it that way. I'm glad we have all the options now a days, gets folk to trade in the "old useless" stuff I like :)

OOps forgot.. 410/45 anything. Shot skeet once with a 410 revolver, was fun, but I can't think of anything else to do with it.

OptimusPanda
10-02-2016, 11:59 PM
As a general rule I dislike lever actions. Also revolvers with a full length under lug. Lastly, being left handed, any Sig with a decocker.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-03-2016, 04:30 AM
I absolutely can't stand Picatinny rails and hanging gadgets off of a gun. No better way to instantly make a gun ugly. Sig Sauer went from having some of the best looking pistols in the world to just functional by carving an ugly strip of railroad track on to the bottom of their pistols. I think the original M16 and AR-15 are handsome rifles. The tacticool variants with collapsible stocks, no carry handle rear sight, and 40 pounds of junk hanging off the forend are just hideous.

I'd second that on the Picatinny rails, and anything designed to mount on them. The only thing in their favour is that they are bulbous enough to be made in aluminium. I also detest aluminium on a gun, particularly when black anodized. It takes so little to make it look scabious, and there isn't much the user can touch it up with except paint.

Greg S
10-03-2016, 04:56 AM
Tarus, h&r revolvers, hi point. I like blued steel and wood but have an equal collection of tools adorned with plastic and anodized aluminum since I used them for so many years. Hate autos with bad ergonomics ie G1-3 Glocks, Beretta 92F with the big humps at the bottom of the grips. Revolvers are nice but I mostly shoot 1911s because I was trained on them and they feel like an old pair of slippers.

Nothing wrong with a smooth operating lever either. I've come to the realization that I have found my likes and dislikes and occassiinally try something new. If it's a shooter but doesn't point of feels uncomfortable, I'll change the ergonomics. There is no collector value yet and in 100 years what is a g3 glock going to be worth that points well. Who cares, I won't be around.

Idaho45guy
10-03-2016, 06:22 AM
As a general rule I dislike lever actions. Also revolvers with a full length under lug.

dragon813gt
10-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Pocket 380s and any similar tiny gun like a Derringer. They don't appeal to me in anyway. I don't like when European manufacturer's discontinue the paddle mag release to satisfy Americans who want everything to be like a 1911. Once you learn to use the paddle you realize how it's in exactly the place it should be. I'm also not a fan of hammer less revolvers. Never know when you might need to shoot in single action. As w/ everything it's all about personal preference. I for one would not shed a tear if 1911s stopped being produced.

NoAngel
10-03-2016, 09:53 AM
I don't like fools that expound on proven guns...and have, obviously, no experience with or idea what in hell they are talking about...and want to try to pass themselves off as a knowledgeable "gun" guy.

I don't Glocks, Beretta's or Sig's...poor ergonomics.

That could potentially be almost anyone in this thread thus far. Glock has about the best track record for a proven reliable and accurate design as any handgun ever made. Yet...most here do not care for them. LOL!

Idaho45guy
10-03-2016, 10:04 AM
I don't like when European manufacturer's discontinue the paddle mag release to satisfy Americans who want everything to be like a 1911. Once you learn to use the paddle you realize how it's in exactly the place it should be.

My Walther P99 had one and manipulation of it was no big deal for me... Loved that gun and hated to sell it years ago when I fell on hard times. Would love to find another olive drab P99 in .40 S&W...

shoot-n-lead
10-03-2016, 10:08 AM
That could potentially be almost anyone in this thread thus far. Glock has about the best track record for a proven reliable and accurate design as any handgun ever made. Yet...most here do not care for them. LOL!

But, most aren't fools that rail against them and make ridiculous statements about their reliability...they just don't like them...that is big difference.

zubrato
10-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Huh. Well here's an unpopular opinion.

I don't really care for 1911's. Nothing wrong with them, either.

I guess it's the massive customization aftermarket and high price tag for something that never really sparked my interest.

Edit: and to really get on nerves, the 10/22.
loading magazines, no last shot hold open, the bolt release is ridiculous, sights and trigger are atrocious and require a serious investment in volquartsen parts to make it what it should have been in the first place in terms of accuracy and ergos. I'm going to get the takedown just so I can have a decent compact suppressor host, but I'm not thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballistics in Scotland
10-03-2016, 12:32 PM
I like blued steel and wood but have an equal collection of tools adorned with plastic and anodized aluminum since I used them for so many years.

Tools, yes, but like the Mafia say, tools aren't personal, just business.

Sur-shot
10-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Glock matches for only Glocks..... odd isn't it, or is it......
Ed

9.3X62AL
10-03-2016, 01:57 PM
I do like the O/P's point, that one man's meat is another man's poison--lotta truth there. That said, I am pretty fond of just about anything that turns money into noise, so it takes some real DOING to make a firearm that I dislike. But, such things do or did exist.

Intense and profound distaste for the cheap pot-metal "Ring Of Fire" 22 rimfire and 25 ACP pocket pistols that were made until recent times fairly close to where I live--the Raven, the Jennings, the Lorcin, and a few others of that ilk. Not for me, at all.

Not to say that I dislike small pocket pistols out of hand--au contraire. The Baby Browning and Colt derivative of same were finely-made handguns, as was my Walther TPH in 22 LR. This is aside from the fact that in my big paws they almost disappear and I am none too dexterous with them, but that is no fault of the arms.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have never craved any of the UberMagnum revolvers like the 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, or their larger/stronger brethren. These calibers strike me as being much better rifle rounds than handgun chamberings, a concept I align with concerning the 44 Magnum once it exceeds the Elmer Keith standard of 240 grain SWC @ 1200 FPS. I am dealing now with onset of Depuytren's Contracture, and there is some evidence in the literature that hand-hammering like that of the 44 Magnum loaded full-bore might trigger its onset in people predisposed to the ailment, so younger shooters need to be cognizant of these potentials. No prejudice for folks choosing to herd such beasts, but I'll just pick one of several rifles available to me once the power of a 44 Magnum/Keith-level becomes deficient for the task at hand.

I had some aesthetic dissonance with the AR-15 series rifles for quite some time, and a similar feeling about Glocks when they first came out. Mattel Toy Syndrome. Over time and with extensive exposure, I have become fairly comfortable with the Stoner self-loader, though I still think is is too delicate and dirt-sensitive to be a down-and-dirty service rifle. Glocks I have come to trust completely, since ugly is as ugly does.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Huh. Well here's an unpopular opinion.

I don't really care for 1911's. Nothing wrong with them, either.

I guess it's the massive customization aftermarket and high price tag for something that never really sparked my interest.

Edit: and to really get on nerves, the 10/22.
loading magazines, no last shot hold open, the bolt release is ridiculous, sights and trigger are atrocious and require a serious investment in volquartsen parts to make it what it should have been in the first place in terms of accuracy and ergos. I'm going to get the takedown just so I can have a decent compact suppressor host, but I'm not thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far be it from me to comment on the 1911, although my sole shooting trophy was won with a friend's Luger at 300 yards, and I think... Oh well, I think it about the Luger, which Jeff Cooper said was particularly good to handle if you handled it the wrong way, not about the 1911.

I agree about the 10-22. Not that it is bad, but I can think of a few semiauto .22s, if you like that sort of thing, which were pretty good before it. I think it is a lesson in product placement - maybe not for the sake of Bill Ruger's advertising budget, which didn't look any bigger than plenty of others, but in keeping on the right side of the print media.

I designed a suppressor for a Saudi friend's 10-22, and he had one of his lathe operators make it in the engineering workshop he ran as a sideline to his government job, or vice versa. (He freely admitted he wasn't a machinist, but claimed he drove the forklift better than any of them, and got a kick out of customers coming in and asking him where the boss was.) He claimed the suppressor only worked really well pointed straight up, but that was because he couldn't get subsonic ammo, and the sonic crack bounced back from the ground.

Scorpion8
10-03-2016, 02:14 PM
What particular model or style of weapon don't you Like? Which guns leave you going "meh" when you see them in the gun case?

We all have our preferences, but mine disdain anything:

Glock, in fact almost all springer-types. I do own an SD9VE and it's as close as I'll come. Walther PPQ is a better version.
1911's. A boring, past dated design. Every manufacturer touts "the latest thing" by smoothing the edges on the beavertail or adding a rail, or by calling it "tactical".
Most Smith & Wesson revolvers, especially including those with the tiny rounded butts like the Chiefs Specials. Most os us can get two fingers around that lil' butt grip.

Gimme the old all-steel hammer-fired military styles like a Star M30, Browning HP, or Astra A-70.

FergusonTO35
10-03-2016, 03:17 PM
I neither like or dislike 1911's, however it seems that most of the purchase price of a Kimber goes towards paying their mortgage on the back page of American Rifleman.[smilie=s:

Harter66
10-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Hand guns ...... I've had a few . Colts , S&W , Ruger ... All made before 1980 some a very long time before 1980 . The lines of the 1860 Colts are fluid they point well ,as made without tuning , I'll take a Remington 58 . There is no doubt that craftsmen built S&W is a wonderful tool the 1917 side by side with the Colts is barely comparable. I place a Colts 38 ( the model escapes me ) on par with a Ruger Security 6 , I like the Ruger lines better . I had an SAA repro for a while it also just wasn't for me . Perhaps the wonder and idols that used them for so long just didn't meet the expectations . I like the BlackHawk a lot .
The 1st poly pistol I shot was a Smith in 9mm . Nasty whippy ,force it back to target , 2 fisted , stiff triggered , generally uncivilized nothing to like about it , disgrace to its name sake .
I only had Stars and a High Power clone to compare it to. The Hungarian HP is nice and the 1 I had was very pleasant , there was something about the grips , not so much wrong as not right for me , I shot it a lot so it must not have bothered me very much .
I did shoot a couple of 1911s . They all feel right and point well but as a bone stock GI model goes it was slow but in a Cadillac Sedan DeVille road car way . The race gun in 38 super auto was like a Callaway STS ......neither make me NEED a 1911 .
I wanted a 40 and an XD came along at a very good price . The aesthetics leave something to be desired but it has nothing in common save materials with that 1st Smith. It comes back to POA every time or very close . The action is balanced whether it just functions the slide or is running full out . It feels like it has what's not right on the HP right and it's smoother than the 1911 with all of the things we like about it .
The Bryco was horrible so I guess it tops the list of autos I dislike .
Autos don't have eye candy appeal , until they are to advanced to shoot.

As far as rifles go a nice piece of wood and deep bluing with a polished bolt and very few bolt guns are not nice to look at , the Styre R1 comes to mind .
Lever guns the Savage 99 has the lines but the 92 and 96 get my money . I don't find the cross bolt safeties half as unpleasant as that round bolt that looks like it should trap every grime bit for miles in the Marlin and Henry's.

Shotguns
M500 good gravy what a rattle trap.
The M12 is what a shotgun should be and sets my standards as such . The BPS is the refined M37 and gets the nod ...... If there were a BPS and M12 side by side for the same price similar wood and finish with cash in hand I wouldn't be able to choose. Don't make me make that choice . I'm debating on a ribbed M12 I saw last weekend and I hope it's gone along with the 16 GA next to it........

contender1
10-03-2016, 09:32 PM
I dislike cheaply made firearms of any brand. And overall, I prefer American made over foreign made.

Bent Ramrod
10-04-2016, 07:26 PM
This is aesthetics only; nothing to do with validity, utility, reliability or even accuracy. I run up and down the aisles at Gun Shows looking for what interests me. The tables I run past are those containing:

Wondernines

Wonderforties

Gigantic caliber revolvers

Anything with an "upper" and a "lower."

Anything "tactical-schmactical"

Muzzleloading rifles that have a piece of brass between the buttstock and forestock; also inlines

Contender pistols, and all the barrels that go on them

Cheap bureau-drawer revolvers and chrome-plated ladies' purse pistols

Lever action rifles that are actually badly disguised bolt actions, also leverguns with button safeties

That's generally 80% of the average Show anymore; alas.

Well--you asked:-?.

Blackwater
10-06-2016, 12:07 PM
When it comes to guns, I'm a knuckle-dragging traditionalist, basically. Yeah, I've got some SS barrels, and synthetic stocks, but essentially, I like blued steel and walnut. One of the things that really turns me off is guns that go "clack clack" in a tinny timber rather than "chunk chunk," which I find pleasing, reassuring and satisfying. So color me purple, or whatever, but guns without grace of line and form, that may be manufacturing marvels but don't balance and handle well, just really disappoint me. As they say in the beginning of the Hobbit movie "some things that should not have been forgotten, were lost." The Wal Mart mentality seems to rule everything today, and as gov't constraints get heavier and heavier on businesses, it's harder and harder just to stay in business, and product quality just goes by the wayside as something that seems to be "unaffordable" now. Instead of skilled craftsmen working for a living wage, we now have the "gimme" types who wouldn't work in a pie factory! This ain't headed anywhere good, and it's not classic sentiments causing that!

peachhead
10-06-2016, 12:22 PM
This is aesthetics only; nothing to do with validity, utility, reliability or even accuracy. I run up and down the aisles at Gun Shows looking for what interests me. The tables I run past are those containing:

Well--you asked:-?.

For the most part, what he said. :???: I'm not a fan of Taurus, Hi Point, Savage or Mossberg (old habits die hard). But what I REALLY don't like are old model Blackhawks that don't belong to me.

ole 5 hole group
10-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Ya All might be great people, but I seriously doubt I could be friends with a man who disliked 1911's.;)

Mk42gunner
10-06-2016, 03:54 PM
I don't like striker fired guns, the trigger always reminds me of a MK 5 flare pistol. I'm pretty sure I had cap guns as a kid with better triggers.

Beretta M9/92 pistols. I saw way too many broken locking blocks to ever want to willingly trust my life to one.

Not real wild about an AR 15, but good proven magazines will fix my biggest gripe with that platform. I also don't like hanging twice the base weight of the gun from it in superfluous items just to be tacticool.

Robert

brtelec
10-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Oh yeah, I have no use for any firearm too pimped up or rare to be fired. Rare firearms belong in museums not gun safes. Pimped up collectibles are paper weights and have no use.

farmerjim
10-06-2016, 04:24 PM
None. I like all guns. Some more than others.

GhostHawk
10-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Not a big fan of revolvers although I have a Heritage Single Six I like well enough. I would like one of the big ruger hawks if I could afford to.

What I really like is good walnut and that reddish gold glow that comes from a good gun stock. Like say 50's through early 70's Remington 870's. Not express or police models, Wingmaster.

What I am not liking a whole lot are black rifles although I have a couple.

I don't like Magnum rifles, although pistol magnums like .357mag and .44mag can be just peachy.

Petrol & Powder
10-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Wow,.....OK, the original post sets up an interesting question.

I'll start by saying I don't care for gimmicks. Guns that have modifications that appeal to the less informed shooters annoy me. I'm not talking about useful additions but rather the pure marketing ploys that appeal to 15 year olds at gun shows.

I'm not going to bash Glocks because they have their place and have proven their worth. However, I will bash ALL of the Glock imitators!
Yes, Glocks are ugly. Yes, they are blocky. No, they are not tack driving target pistols (although they will shoot far better than the Glock haters will admit). It's the Glock knock-offs that I don't care for. A plastic framed, striker fired, high capacity pistol that tries to get around all of the Glock patents is just a Glock incognito. Get over it and buy a Glock !

Super Cheap, Poorly made handguns turn me off. I'm not talking about inexpensive guns but rather cheap guns.

Over accessorized black rifles. I've never understood why someone would take a 7.5 pound rifle and turn it into a 19 pound Swiss Army knife.

OK, that's enough whining. On a positive note:
I have tremendous admiration for good engineering and well tested designs. An old S&W K-frame with decades of honest wear that still shoots like new, an old military Mauser bolt action rifle that's over 100 years old and still functions despite years of abuse, the ubiquitous but incredibly reliable and affordable Remington 870.
The awesome combination of reliability, durability and function of a Ruger Service-Six.
The engineering and outstanding execution of design in a H&K P7. The simplicity of a Sig P225 (P6)
The external and internal art of a Beretta shotgun.

There are things I don't like but those they only serve to contrast the things I do like.

44man
10-08-2016, 09:17 AM
I have held back but anything but a good 1911 has no interest. My love is real wood, checkering done by hand and good revolvers. I still can't reach plastic fantastic. I do love to shoot anything but they are brought here.
A gun should be steel and wood.
Guns I hate most are military rifles with stupid sporting conversions by hacking a military stock. Done right they are fine but most are yucker changes.
My true love is a SA revolver.

warf73
10-08-2016, 05:08 PM

Well with that being said, everyone should buy Glocks, 12ga. shotguns since there are more models available and more variety of loadings for it. But I don't own a glock never owned one have shot all there models and dislike them all.

I dislike glocks, plastic rifles (do own one) plastic shotguns, plastic handguns(ugg own 2).
Do like metal framed handguns may it be revolver or semi. Love shotguns with wood on them and a nice deep blueing.

But this thread does show why there are so many models of firearms so that everyone's fancy is tickled.

Garyshome
10-08-2016, 05:23 PM
10.8.16 8" of rain in my yard today.

Garyshome
10-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Acquiring a new caliber. I have too many to reload for already

Harter66
10-08-2016, 07:28 PM
I don't like the phrase " I went hand guns hunting with a 30-30 super 14 " , I dislike pistol recovers passed of as hunting pistols that are really SBRs without a butt stock . The 460&500 Smith's don't even get a pass here .

If you gonna us a hand gun use 1 don't try to sell me on an 1100 with a pistol grip 5+1 as a 6 shooter .

tazman
10-08-2016, 07:33 PM
I dislike a gun that I simply cannot shoot even reasonably well regardless of how much I like the design and feel of it. There are both rifles and handguns in this category. Mostly the handguns that I like the design but cannot shoot are SA revolvers and 1911 style autos. I have owned very good guns in both these designs and simply cannot shoot them. When I hand the gun to someone else it shoots perfectly fine.
I have owned a couple of rifles like that but they were large magnum calibers that just simply hurt to shoot. I like how my shoulders work, I don't want to ruin them from abuse.
The same pretty much goes for handgun calibers larger than 357 mag. My wrists just won't take it any more regardless of how much I like the gun. I dislike the pain associated with them.

17nut
10-09-2016, 06:26 PM
I dislike that every AR 15 clone offered today has to be a chu-chu gun.
I hate the telescopic butt and all those damn rails out front.

dragon813gt
10-09-2016, 06:53 PM
You can buy a fixed stock and handguards w/ no rails ;)

chuckbuster
10-09-2016, 07:27 PM
ANYTHING!!!! Semi-Auto for a simple reason

I am too lazy to scratch around picking up Brass, and TOO CHEAP! not to.
Kevin

FergusonTO35
10-09-2016, 09:34 PM
I don't like the phrase " I went hand guns hunting with a 30-30 super 14 " , I dislike pistol recovers passed of as hunting pistols that are really SBRs without a butt stock . The 460&500 Smith's don't even get a pass here .

If you gonna us a hand gun use 1 don't try to sell me on an 1100 with a pistol grip 5+1 as a 6 shooter .

I don't hate these sort of guns but I have no use for them. I'm still scratching my head at how AR and AK pistols are legal, as my reading of the NFA would suggest that these are rifles which have been redesigned into pistols. I'm not wanting them to be reclassified but that is what makes sense to me.

i

adcoch1
10-10-2016, 02:30 PM
I dislike almost all of the glock wannabes, like the clock the same way I like a hammer, it does the job. I dislike guns I can't use. Weather it's because they are so rare or nice that you're afraid to scratch them, or stuff too fragile to be reliable. I really dislike noisy plastic stocks. Polymer or laminates are fine, but if a branch slaps my hunting rifle and it sounds like I dropped one of my kids toys I am unhappy. I also dislike over marketed cheap junk. I also dislike guns that are uber expensive for no real reason. 1911 and high end ar15 come to mind. I love a GI model 1911, but if the high end one can't shoot better I'm not dropping my cash on it. Give me quality and a reasonable price and I'll be happy, especially if it has nice figured wood and well finished steel...

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Yodogsandman
10-10-2016, 03:12 PM
I will not own any pistol or revolver without a hammer! No DAO's at all! I started shooting with a single action revolver and a 1911. I want to pull back a hammer for at least the first shot when target shooting. I don't mind a DA first shot but prefer to pull back the hammer to get that single action accuracy from a pistol. No, I don't go for shooting the first shot into the dirt either, DA when in a hurry.

NoAngel
10-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Funny how different people are. Yodog hates no hammers, I hate everything WITH a hammer. I prefer striker fired pistols.

I give a pass on the 'no hammers' to my H&R Handi Rifles though. I love those!

Texantothecore
10-11-2016, 11:05 AM
I will not own any pistol or revolver without a hammer! No DAO's at all! I started shooting with a single action revolver and a 1911. I want to pull back a hammer for at least the first shot when target shooting. I don't mind a DA first shot but prefer to pull back the hammer to get that single action accuracy from a pistol. No, I don't go for shooting the first shot into the dirt either, DA when in a hurry.

I have no interest in semautos, rifle or pistols..
Hate dao. Sa is wonderful.

I like wood, steel, brass, hammers, switch barrel firearms and they must be able to work well with black powder.

Basically, I like cowboy guns.

Ar15? Meh...it's a medium speed .22.
Actually, ars look like airsoft guns to me.

Harter66
10-11-2016, 12:25 PM
I have no interest in semautos, rifle or pistols..
Hate dao. Sa is wonderful.

I like wood, steel, brass, hammers, switch barrel firearms and they must be able to work well with black powder.

Basically, I like cowboy guns.

Ar15? Meh...it's a medium speed .22.
Actually, ars look like airsoft guns to me.

Shhh , someone with a super 45 or 50 cal AR will get their feelers hurt . :)

Multigunner
10-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Cheap cast metal small caliber "Saturday Night Specials", at least any of those made in the last 80 years or so.
I rather like the old school pocket revolvers, not for shooting but simply because of the various designs much alike but still often very different in detail.
The junk .25 and .22 autoloaders and revolvers imported before the 1968 laws dictating safety testing and such were often complete trash. On the other hand the most accurate .38 snubnose and two of the most accurate .22 LR revolvers I've ever fired were dirt cheap West German built imports. The .38 had a tough heavy milled steel frame, the .22s had well made cast aluminum alloy frames.

Others of unknown origin have flown apart after a few rounds or spit lead particles in my face. One .22 derringer had a caved in breechface. A .357 derringer developed jugged chambers making it nearly impossible to punch out empties with a dowel rod and mallet.
A friend died after his .22 Deringer slipped from his pocket and impacted the bottom of his boat smack on the hammer spur.
Cheap dangerous junk gives fuel to the anti gunner screeds.

A few of the more recent domestic products are little if any better that the cheap imported junk of the 50's and 60's.

Golfswithwolves
10-11-2016, 06:00 PM
I don't have any interest in owning an AR of any sort, as I had to carry one around for a long time and don't care to do it anymore. But it's a pretty good rifle. Also most brand-new guns of the most modern design are of less interest to me, although they are of course fine pieces. Actually, guns which require cartridges may be just a passing fad and muzzleloaders will probably take over soon.

flint45
10-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Anything with a polymer frame and those little plastic triggers also so called hanguns made from a bolt action rifle with giant scopes in rifle cals.

ejcrist
10-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Chiappa Rhino. That's the ugliest gun to ever fall off the truck, imo.

X2 and amen to that. There's not many handguns I don't like in one way or another but I can safely say I'd rather have a good slingshot than a Chiappa Rhino.