PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Revolver loads

mcdaniel.mac
10-01-2016, 04:37 AM
I was looking at a Ruger Speed Six 9mm and when contemplating purchase, I had to wonder if anyone has loaded special just for their 9mm revolvers, since you don't need to worry about cycling the slide. Anyone gone with something less common, longer loads, etc?

tazman
10-01-2016, 08:09 AM
I don't own Ruger Speed Six but I have the S&W 929 in 9mm. I often use light loads to practice with since, as you say, there is no worry about cycling the gun. Given the cylinder length, you could vary the OAL a lot and still have it fit in the cylinder.
As in most revolvers, having light loads to practice with is a good thing on several levels. My particular revolver likes light loads but isn't any more accurate with them than with heavy loads. It is just a little easier to handle is all.

GWM
10-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Well I do longer OAL and heavier boolits for my S&W 940...
The Ruger should be able to handle somewhat hotter loads as well.

gunarea
10-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Hey mac
My Ruger 9mm revolver is in the Blackhawk configuration and as such has a separate cylinder specifically for the 9. There are a few advantages but some differences that need attention. The cylinder throat is considerably longer than that of its sister 357 mag cylinder reducing jump almost to direct contact. Increased throat length allows for full length projectile support. Being a revolver opens up the projectile options dramatically. Target/plinking type loading realize efficiency gains through lower propellant charge for identical velocity. Example; 160 gr devastator in 38 special case, 3.4 gr Promo 810 fps 8.5 SD. 160 gr devastator in 9mm case, 3.0 gr Promo 814 fps 7.7 SD. Same revolver, same projectile, different cylinders.
Another great efficiency difference is cost of brass. 38 special once fired runs $10 to $20 a hundred depending on source. R-P 357 mag, $Damm!!, per thousand new. 9mm once fired, $bend over and pick it up(my most favorite price).
Accommodating the slight difference of diameter by SAMMI definition was less of a hurdle than first imagined by myself. While I cannot give empirical insight for your particular handgun choice, here is my personal thumbs up for the 9mm as an effective, efficient revolver caliber choice. Best of skill to you.
Roy

mcdaniel.mac
10-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Appreciate it, that 160gr load seems like it might be the ticket...if this guy ever decides to call back! Some people just seem to not want my money.

shooting on a shoestring
10-03-2016, 10:39 PM
As most revolver cartridges were either designed for black powder or are based on cartridges that were, for many applications there is an excess amount of airspace inside. Lowering the case volume to that of the auto-loader cartridges does improve combustion and hence efficiency. It's often the case the auto-loader cylinders of "convertible" Blackhawks shoot better than the magnum or Colt cylinders.

With smokeless powders, the 9 mm makes pretty good sense for a revolver round.

GWM
10-05-2016, 02:43 PM

S&W 940 with 200 grainers in trimmed .38 S&W cases and 160 grainers in 9mm full moon clip.

Virginia John
10-09-2016, 09:00 AM
I have the Ruger Police Service Six with a 4" barrel and it will shoot everything the semi autos shoot and it loves lead. The same is also true for the Blackhawk.