PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 in 45/70

samari46
09-30-2016, 11:33 PM
Have a Ruger #1 in 45/70 with the very short throat. Has anyone done a rethroating job with a reamer that does only the throat and how did it turn out and where did you get the reamer?. Thanks,Frank

country gent
10-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Dave manson will grind you the reamer to just what you want size wise. There is an adjusable stop to set depth. My 45-70, 45-90, 40-65 and 38-55 chambers all have the lead cut right off the case mouth and work very well for me that way. I dont get any lead rings or paper rings in the front of the chamber. Accuracy is exceptional with cast bullets, and less air space in the case. I have seen it done to rifles in 45-70 to "increase" powder capacity. I find it as easy to simply work up the load to accuracy and performance required. With Black powder loads it might be helpfull but I get to the velocity I need with the chambers I have. In my rifles about half the driving band showing is touching the riflilgs or very close to it.

EDG
10-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Many years ago a smith chambered a barrel in .45-70 for me and it had a very rough leade so I had it rethroated with a throating reamer. I think the reamer came from Brownell's.
That rifle was very accurate with 400 gr Speers but it never shot light bullets well. It may have had a 14" twist 458 barrel. I was too unsophisticated to know the difference 45 years ago.

Have a Ruger #1 in 45/70 with the very short throat. Has anyone done a rethroating job with a reamer that does only the throat and how did it turn out and where did you get the reamer?. Thanks,Frank

samari46
10-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Thank you all. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Frank