PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot sights for Bullseye

hp246
09-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Came across a Walther OSP for a decent price. Sold my Pardini a couple of years ago, but have been thinking about getting back into the world of .22 Bullseye. Went to Midway USA to check prices. I see everything from $50 up to a grand. I don't want to spend more on a sight than the gun. Any thoughts on what is a good way to go for a red dot? Like to stay under 2 bills if possible. The gun already has a Weaver rail on it.

country gent
09-30-2016, 10:34 PM
I have an ultra dot on a 38 wadcutter 1911 and it does very well for me. I had several tell me it could "ride" the slide on a 45 and not be damaged. Im happy with it. Its on a frame mount bolted to the front of the frame and holds zero very well also.

hp246
09-30-2016, 11:12 PM
I have an ultra dot on a 38 wadcutter 1911 and it does very well for me. I had several tell me it could "ride" the slide on a 45 and not be damaged. Im happy with it. Its on a frame mount bolted to the front of the frame and holds zero very well also.
Thank you for the reply. Good to know about the toughness. How is the optic? Which model are you using? Got out of bullseye because of my eyes. Got to be a real pita keeping up wth the changes in my prescription.

M-Tecs
09-30-2016, 11:15 PM
http://www.ultradotusa.com/ seem to be the most common at Camp Perry.

GhostHawk
10-01-2016, 09:59 AM
I have 60$ Truglo's on my pair of Ruger Mk III's 22/45. My wife shoots the all black one and I have the SS and black. At 20 feet both will put 10 rounds into a group you can cover with a pop bottle cap.

But the Mk III's have an internal bolt so the Red Dots don't catch as much abuse.

Ithaca Gunner
10-01-2016, 10:55 AM
I too have an Ultra Dot and it is good. I also have a cheap BSA that seems to work as well, (maybe I just got a good one?)

country gent
10-01-2016, 01:38 PM
I think the slide or bolts jarring on the stops forward and back is whats hard on the scope and more so the mounts rather than recoil actually is. Recoil is one direction and normally somewhat cushioned by the shooter. The Semi autos are diffrent in that not only is there a recoil impulse but the slide / bolts impact and harmonics also. Set a rifle scope on a spring air cocker airgun and they dont last long do to the piston impulses. On a .22 this isnt as much of an issue as it is on a bigger centerfire pistol.

Artful
10-01-2016, 04:30 PM
I'm using a cheap BSA on my Ruger but I'm not into competative shooting but this one has lasted about 7,000 rounds without issue or shifting of dot in the tube. I'd look at the UltraDot as they seem to have a very good reputation.

On thing I notice is that I shoot smaller groups when I turn the red dot intensity down to the lowest position in which I can clearly see to use it.

Ithaca Gunner
10-01-2016, 05:42 PM
I should mention I'm using a grip mount, no slide motion to disturb the red dot.

hp246
10-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Is three moa the appropriate dot for indoor 50 ft?

GhostHawk
10-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Artful I do the same, nice to have more for outside but at my indoor range lowest setting = smallest most precise dot.

popper
10-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Might look at the SeeAll sight. Works good on my mark III.

wv109323
10-02-2016, 10:23 PM
The most common Ultra-dot is the 1". I think the dot is 4 moa instead of 3. It should be alright for 50 ft.

Lloyd Smale
10-03-2016, 05:56 AM
my choice for a reddot if price is no concern is an aimpoint micro. Strong as a hammer. Second choise would be a vortex sparc. Doesn't have the battery life but for a comp gun that's not a concern. Ive yet to have one fail. I wouldn't guess it would hold up to being smashed on the floor like an aimpoint but with a GOOD mount (not the one that comes with it) there plenty tough.

22cf45
10-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Ultra Dot red dots dominate the bullseye firing line. I have shot them since they very first came out, sometime in the 80's if memory serves. Most of us mount them on the slides of our 1911 45's and I have never had one fail although I'm sure some do fail from time to time. I shoot the 4 dot model so I have a choice in the size of dot I use. Although I use a big dot, I think most shooters use 2 or 4 minute dots. You can get by with a lesser brand on .22's since recoil is negligible.
Phil

mtnman31
10-03-2016, 03:40 PM
My personal experience has been with Ultra Dots and Aimpoint Micro. I like both. The Aimpoint is clearly smaller and more compact. When the micro was first mounted on the 1911, the lens was getting sprayed with powder residue and gun lube as the slide recoiled. A short sunshade was installed on the front and that cut down drastically on the amount of crud getting flung up onto the lens. It was a nice optic and worked well. The adjustments are designed for a rifle, so when used for a pistol they allow for very fine adjustment. As I said, the Micro is nice and small but costs more.

UltraDot is a good sight as well. It was mounted on a Hammerli 208. It worked well and the only issue that I had was with the mount and not the sight. For a bullseye dedicated gun, the UltraDots are a great value in my opinion. Given their proven track record, it's hard to find any cons in buying/using one.

Currently, I have a Hammerli 280 with a UltraDot MatchDot II. I am using the MatchDot II because it is what I had readily available when I got the gun. It works well and has multiple reticles to choose from. Granted, I only use the basic dot and the other reticles are just fluff that aren't used. I am interested to hear how well UltraDot's new HD-Micro sights work.

hp246
10-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Came across an Ultra dot locally. Think I'm gonna go with that.

ole 5 hole group
10-08-2016, 06:57 AM
Nothing wrong with the ultra-dot, many competitive shooters use them. If you haven't already purchased a red-dot - might look at the Leupold deltapoint - using the very tip of the delta as your aiming point makes it equal to about 1/2 MOA dot. I had the slide milled and the red-dot sits right on top of the slide. 45ACP target and full-on hunting loads haven't bother that sight in several years now - battery change every 8 to 10 months is a PITA compared to others but I much prefer the Leupold to the ultra dot tube type, but I see where they also make a heads-up display as well.

I use the Aimpoint Macro with 2MOA on my AR and I think that's as good as it gets - today anyway.

I have 2 delta points red dots and have run them on 45ACP, 454, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt and 500 S&W - solid as a rock, but optics on a revolver just look ugly.;)

white eagle
10-08-2016, 09:38 AM
but optics on a revolver just look ugly.:wink:
I totally agree
also have used the ultra dots for years now and never let me down

Dave C.
10-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Ultra dot and you will never be sorry.