PDA

View Full Version : the lee 360 grain 50 caliber mini bullet mold

johnson1942
09-30-2016, 02:28 PM
i just got one from midway and cast up 100 bullets with it. the bullets were for the most part pure lead with a tiny amount of tin mixed in,very very little. that was yesterday. to day i sized them to .494 and to day i tested them in a 1/32 twist, a 1/28 twist and a 1/23 twist rifle. i paperpatched them with single wrap 18 pound freezer wrap paper over a 60 thousands thick poly wad. used 80 grain of black horn 209 powder. just put enough rounds though these three guns to see they printed as tight as you could with any load at its best. the range was 50 yards and the groups are very very tight. i posted this to encourage those shooters with 1/48 twist 50/s down to 1/20 twist 50/s to try this easy reliable way to shoot their rifles at paper and also hunt with this load. the mold works well and cost almost nothing as does a roll of freezer wrap paper. the only thing that will cost about 40 dollars is a push through reduceing die and a .493 would be best, from lee. you can buy bulk wads from track of the wolf or buffalo arms. i bought the press mounted wad cutter from buffalo arms and cut my own. that simple 360 grain mini ball round reduced in size and paperpatched is a good one to shoot paper or hunt with. have fun.

koger
09-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Hey Roger! I sent you a PM! What size sizing die do I need, to size down 300gr .458, to paper patch in the .45 TC barrel, uses a .440 RB with 15thousandths patch, would .440 do it?

Nobade
09-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Good to know it shot well using poly wads and hollowbase bullets. I was wondering if they would stick in the bases.

-Nobade

johnson1942
10-01-2016, 12:10 AM
i didnt get the pm but i use a .440 resizeing die to resize 45 cal bullets for either double wrap with number nine paper or single wrap with 18 pound paper. i find the 45 cal. bullets are not as fussy about the double or single wrap system. for me either one works well. how ever i find the 50 cal bullets work better for me with the single wrap system. also i have never ever had a wad stick in a hollow of a hollow base bullet as 90 percent of my bullets are hollow based, even the 45/70 pp bullets. the purpose of the hollow base with a wad behind it is to assist the bump up. the wad pushes very hard on the base and the base being hollow shortens up easier and bumps up easier this way. ive been told but have no idea if true is the hollow base bullet when going at blackpowder ft. per second will drag a air bubble behind it easier than a flat based bullet. this bubble acts like a feather on a arrow so may give better accuracy. sounds good but i could never verify it as true. i also shoot hollow based swaged bullet in my 45 long colt.i have a good wad behind those also but they are not paperpatched. i use no lube and they dont lead. sam i will check my pm/s and see if they are full. ive shot 250 grain .440 pp bullets in that barrel you have and it drove tacks at 100 yards. this 360 grain mini ball round has got me shooting again as i got tired of the heavier bullets.

Good Cheer
10-01-2016, 08:08 AM
The hollow base gives a weight forward condition while lube grooves towards the rear provide drag, both working to keep a boolit from turning.