PDA

View Full Version : Solo 1000 in 32 S&W short vs bullseye

Tackleberry41
09-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Not a whole lot of data out there for the short vs the long. But bullseye seems to be good to use. I do not have any, dotn really want yet another powder on the shelf. I have quite a bit of S1000, but no data. its really close to bullseye in burn rate. How would I go about coming up with a safe load for an old pistol?

rintinglen
09-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Bearing in mind that there are two versions of Solo 1000 reportedly floating around and given that the recommended starting charges for a 32 S&W run the gamut from 1.0 grains of Bullseye up to 1.5 grains of Unique, I'm not sure that I would want to go there. Especially if the gun in question is a hundred year old top break. A quick glance at Accurate data for the 9mm makes me think that the new Solo 1000 is actually hotter than Bullseye, and should be down near the very bottom of the burn charts.

However, if go there you must, I would use the Bullseye starting load of 1.0 grains with a 75-84 grain boolit. Remember that in these light charges a tenth of a grain means something, so you are going to have to weigh the charges much more frequently than usual--every charge for the first 10 every five if they are consistent after that, if they are not, then every charge will have to be weighed. I would strenuously avoid the urge to hot rod this cartridge. "you can't get there from here," applies to this endeavor more so than most.

Wayne Smith
10-03-2016, 03:41 PM
I shoot mine with a piece of buckshot that I ran through a sizer - they are not uniform. 1 gr Bullseye and it's fun shooting. You might try buckshot, it reduces your bullet weight significantly.

Earlwb
10-03-2016, 10:03 PM
I would personally not risk a old vintage handgun to working up a new load with a unreferenced propellant. Now if one has a newer design revolver they could use instead, then it would work OK. But one is at risk of blowing out one of the chambers in the old revolver.