PDA

View Full Version : Longshot...

BCB
09-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Anyone using that powder with the 45 Colt and boolits 250 grains or a bit heavier?...

I will be shooting them from a New Model Blackhawk...

Thanks...BCB

BK7saum
09-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Not much help for your application, but I use Longshot in heavy 10mm loads, 200, 220, 225 grain. So, it should be applicable to any other straight wall case with the use of heavy for caliber boolits. It does a great job in the 10mm, getting max velocity with the heavy boolits. If you are wanting to load light to medium strength loads, I'd say there are probably better powders. Brad

BK7saum
09-30-2016, 09:34 AM
But if you have Longshot on hand and want to use it, it will/should work with medium loads. Brad

quail4jake
09-30-2016, 10:49 AM
I switched to longshot from Lilgun for medium heavy .45 Colt with a 250 gr XTP due to recoil. I'm shooting a Ruger New Vaquero which is very original SAA like and has no recoil mitigation or ergonomics to accommodate a big dog load, so the 24 gr Lilgun @ 1320 fps with its bright white ball of fire was PAINFUL on the hand and I wore a glove to shoot it. No ballistic performance is worth that, even with its 2" group @ 25 yds. Sooo...back to the Hodgon load center we go and tried 13 gr Longshot @ 1190 fps, same great grouping but much nicer recoil...no more glove, life is good. Both of these loads are great for modern firearms but I do much better shooting the Longshot load. Notice that these are inelastic powders and have a narrow range of charge weights, pick the middle and voila! I wouldn't reduce charges lower than the recommended minimum, change to a faster powder instead, these type of powders do funky things in reduced loads.
BTW, my right carpal fractures are healing well and I've recovered most of my dental work from the pistol range firing point, thanks for your concern!