PDA

View Full Version : Gonna try throat reaming my 45 acp myself

AbitNutz
09-30-2016, 07:10 AM
I ordered PT&G Uni-throat reamer kit. It has a removable pilot and spiral flutes...any advice? I have a barrel I can practice on.

Moleman-
09-30-2016, 09:10 AM
Get actual cutting oil (you can usually find it in the plumbing section of the hardware store) and go slow/light pressure. You're not removing much metal.

AbitNutz
09-30-2016, 10:40 AM
One thing I've been told is that a little too much feebore on a 45 acp doesn't affect the accuracy. It will affect the velocity though..

AbitNutz
09-30-2016, 01:53 PM
Totally chickened out and sent it to DougGuy. Left on the mail truck a just a few ago... He has a pretty powerful argument for letting him do it. The big one is his hands likely don't shake when just thinking about tearing up a Kart Custom 6" barrel that has been Magnaported.

DougGuy
09-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Funny :bigsmyl2:

Is there such a thing as too much freebore? I'm not sure. If you consider the .45 ACP cylinder in a Ruger Blackhawk has nearly a whole inch of freebore in front of the case mouth in the cylinder itself, and then the forcing cone, and those shoot VERY well once the throats are corrected for the boolit size used.

My 500A Mossberg slug barrel will cloverleaf a playing card at 100yds with plain old Walmart Winchester Foster Slugs, and it has maybe 16" of freebore before it reaches the rifled portion of the barrel.

There are other shotguns that have a smooth bore and only use a rifled choke to give the spin to the projectiles and they work too so how would you determine if x.xx" of freebore is detrimental to either velocity or accuracy?

In a 1911 or other autoloader where there is no barrel cylinder gap, anything you do that lowers resistance against boolit movement will lower pressures, doesn't matter what it is, this is just laws of physics at work here. Since pressure makes velocity, less pressure can cause a slight loss of velocity which can then be compensated for by adjusting powder charge to achieve the same pressure that the cartridge developed before the resistance of the boolit moving in the barrel was lessened by increasing the throat length or diameter.

Taylor Throating was popular a while back, and it had a lot of positive attributes about it that the longer throats like I do share these. The boolit can pull crimp with less resistance, it is supported and centered in the bore by the freebore, and it is then presented to the leade in to the rifling already sealed in the bore (from the freebore in the throat being tapered) and the leade in to the rifling is cut with a very shallow angle so this transition from case mouth to rifling is stretched out over a distance nearly equal to 1x the caliber of the boolit and it makes a noticeable difference in the amuont of leading, or NO leading, and these longer throats shoot VERY accurately so back to the initial question, how much freebore is too much? I don't have that answer. Haven't yet throated a barrel that went south afterwards, not sure it can even be done.