PDA

View Full Version : Need threaded sleeve for Lyman 45 Lube Sizer

Duffy
09-29-2016, 06:03 PM
On my Lyman 45 I need the hollow threaded sleeve that has the knurled end. It threads in and out of the lower section of the lube sizer and allows adjusting the depth of travel of the cast boolit. There is a metal knockout rod that slides through it to eject the boolit on the upstroke. Does anyone know of a source or part number? I tried the WTB too, but no luck.

Duffy

Walter Laich
09-29-2016, 08:07 PM
check this http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_4500.pdf

think you're looking for #10

beagle
09-29-2016, 09:24 PM
If that doesn't work, go to Ace Hardware and look in the repair parts for table lamps. As I recall, I have used the part that screws into the socket for this application. Has a hollow for the cord to pass through. I believe the thread is 5/16 X 24 TPI fine thread. Cut to length./beagle

Duffy
09-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the idea Beagle, but my machinist friend tells me its 30TPI for the 45, which he was unable to cut as his lathe only has settings for 28 and 32. Anybody have a broken 45 laying around that wants to sell this part?

Duffy

John Boy
09-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Anybody have a broken 45 laying around that wants to sell this part?Any reason why a call to Lyman to order the part won't work for you? :groner:

beagle
09-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Try one of those anyway. As I recall, it fit and I may have been wrong about the thread size. I know if a fine thread and 5/16 stock comes normally in 18 and 24. I'm sure there are other threads but that's what I have normally encountered. You must have an old junker lamp around. I know that I salvage all the parts off one when and if my wife ever discards on./beagle

Thanks for the idea Beagle, but my machinist friend tells me its 30TPI for the 45, which he was unable to cut as his lathe only has settings for 28 and 32. Anybody have a broken 45 laying around that wants to sell this part?

Duffy

eagle27
09-30-2016, 05:22 PM
The Lyman 450 threaded sleeve is 3/8" x 16 tpi and 1&3/8" long. I dropped my 450 when stripping down to remove rust and gunk after a friend had it on loan for several years and (fortunately) it landed on the exposed sleeve damaging it. I just cut the head off a 3/8" bolt and bored it through the centre to take the bullet ejector rod. Just left the short section of unthreaded bolt shank on the sleeve as you never need all the thread.

I would have thought the 45 used the same sized threaded sleeve but if your machinist friend has measure it as 30tpi then so be it. That is a fine thread though.

BigEyeBob
10-02-2016, 08:16 AM
I know the thread on the spindle that the pressure piston moves up and down on is British Standard Fine Thread I made a new piston for mine and was amazed it had a 3/8 " x 20 BSF thread and not a 3/8 x 24 UNF thread.

Duffy
10-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Okay, thank you all for the help so far. Lyman is out, no parts (and quite difficult to get a real person on the phone, by the way). I will try the lamp parts and see what happens.