PDA

View Full Version : Crazy night

44man
09-29-2016, 01:43 PM
RAIN, had 6" in a bucket this morning, then wind and fallen branches all over the yard.
Then the grandson woke me up, told me the alarm was going off in the basement. Sump pump, let me explain, no outside water to it, just laundry, tub and water softener. It has a box over it to keep moisture down and my dehumidifier sits on top to drain in the hole.
There is a hole for the float rod to poke out and if the box gets shifted it will not turn on.
I made a float system with a micro switch so if water gets high a 10" bell will ring but I can't hear it from my bedroom. Lee went down and unplugged the bell and left the water softener keep going.
Much water on the old carpet and floor. All it took was to shift the box so the switch rod came up.
My mistake not showing him and he can't tie his shoes without instruction.
I did not make the box or it would be higher, Looks like I need to buy wood.

ghh3rd
09-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Sorry you're going through that. Water damage sucks.

44man
09-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Worst it did was a cardboard box with a juicer in it, just the box and her clothes hamper got wet clothes so she had to wash ahead of time. Rug is junk anyway and is drying. Might be the cleanest it ever has been.
This is not the first time this has happened and there is never money loss but Carol goes nuts if her socks get wet! :violin:

bedbugbilly
09-29-2016, 06:24 PM
I sympathize with you. I used to have similar issues at my mother's house at times due to sump pump. It was never bad and there wasn't carpet to contend with, but still a pain in the kester. The first time it happened, I went out and bought a good shop/wet vac to have on hand. It was a lot simpler than using sponge mops, etc Glad things didn't end up too bad and it was fairly easy to get cleaned up.

MrWolf
09-29-2016, 09:13 PM
One of my pumps has a backup on it with the float set a bit higher than the main. Works off a deep cycle marine battery backup. Actually need to work on that unit now that I think about it.

44man
09-30-2016, 10:14 AM
It is always the happy home owner. Best thing I ever did was the warning system. Just some plastic water line with a foam float to hit a micro switch but the bell is 12 volts so I needed a transformer to get the 12 volts to the bell with rectifiers to get DC.
Last pump failure was a rotted line at the pump base, it just pumped water back into the hole so it did not go out. I replaced with a stainless pump. More HP and it works. Bell went crazy but saved me.