PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Sporter Question

Postalpaul
09-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Afternoon ladies and gents

I have been working off and on for about 3.5 years on a VZ24 action . Rebarreled it with a Shilen 25-06 stainless barrel . I dropped it off yesterday to have it cerakoted (action flat black and barrel titanium gray ) . My question is can I legally mark-cerakote the caliber (in black over the gray ) on the new barrel or does it have to be stamped ? I apologize is this has been answered before and I dug through NFA PDF for a bit last night and did not see my answer .

Thanks For Looking
Paul

Scorpion8
09-29-2016, 11:44 AM
IIRC the caliber has to be "indelibly" marked, meaning permanently marked, engraved, stamped or such. But they change these rules as often as most folks change underwear....

pietro
09-29-2016, 02:11 PM

I'm a little confused...........

Why are you checking NFA rules, which govern restricted firearms like short-barreled rifles & shotguns ? Did you install a barrel shorter than 16" on your VZ-24?

AFAIK, (generally) "sporterizing" an existing rifle;/action is not the same as actually making/manufacturing one, and there's no requirement for a caliber marking - witness untold thousands (if not millions) of firearms made/sold/converted w/o a caliber stamping.

Of course, I know that converting a non-NFA firearm into an NFA firearm is another story.

Sur-shot
09-29-2016, 02:50 PM
The cambering can be marked on the barrel but does not have to be marked. In your situation it would be best to stamp the barrel or laser engrave the barrel before it is Cerakoted because most lasers used for carbon steel engraving, will not cut through the Cerakote finish. However the numbers and letters will easily show through the Cerakote's thin coating.
Ed

Postalpaul
09-29-2016, 08:44 PM
Pietro --that's the only place I could find any written federal gun laws

update -- spoke with a laser engraver today and he stated he engraves coated stuff all the time. 40$ OTD

thanksfor the replies