PDA

View Full Version : Estate auction in Oklahoma - many guns sold

Bookworm
09-29-2016, 08:19 AM
I went to an estate auction last week. The fellow collected many firearms, mostly common things, none of it "museum" quality. Alot of it was with box/papers. Many of the firearms were barely fired, or factory fired only.

Also in the sale were about 15 .30Cal carbines, I didn't stay to see what they went for.

Keep in mind - this is in rural Oklahoma - 3 miles of dirt road from the town of 675 souls to get to the site.

It was a feeding frenzy. I wanted to report on the prices. I will let you comment.

Ruger BH Stainless 357, 6.5", convertible, with 9mm cylinder, in box as new - $700
Ruger SBH 44mag, 7.5" blued, in box barely fired - $700
Ruger SBH .30 Carbine, 7.5", in box barely fired - $475
Ruger BH 45 Colt/ACP convertible with both cylinders,5.5", Blued, in box - $700

There were 4 older 3-screw single-sixes, 2 flat-gates. Most had the blueing worn, some completely off. They went for between $375-$500 each.

Ruger Old Army Stainless, no box, looked unfired, $500 (sorry I missed that one - wasn't paying attention...)

S&W Mdl 17, .22 cal, 6" (?) barrel, in box, barely fired, very nice - $850

Several older Colt .38 Police, blueing mostly gone, nice lock-up, shooters- $350-375 each.

Walther PP in box, looked as new, barely fired - $400

Ruger #1 - there were 2 of them,very nice - barely fired, both with a nothing-special scope, a .22-250 and a .243 - they went for $1050 each.

Browning Low-wall in .22-250, no scope, nice shape, looked barely fired - $950

Marlin 1894 rifle, 44Mag - older, pre-safety,nice wood, JM stamped Micro-groove barrel - 80-85% condition - barely fired, had dime-size rust spots on barrel and receiver top and safe wear - $750

Marlin (Remlin) - .357 1894C- barely fired, cross-bolt safety, $800

At this point I left. It was apparent I wasn't going to buy anything.

Those firearms probably got more wear on them in 2 hours that afternoon - from people looking them over - then they had gotten since the owner purchased them. There was about 300 folks at the table.

Sweetpea
09-29-2016, 08:39 AM
Sounds like folks wanted to pay more than anybody else.

reddog81
09-29-2016, 10:55 AM
I was at a local estate auction here in central Iowa recently. It was crazy, people were paying $1200+ for basic Colt 6920's. The gun shop 2 miles way had the exact same thing NIB for $979. Everything I was interested in went for at $200 to $300 more than I was willing to pay. The only other thing I remember the exact price was a S&W 39-2 that went for $550. I picked up one a couple of months ago in better condition for $400.

dragon813gt
09-29-2016, 11:08 AM
The #1s went for what they're worth if not slightly below. They are usually priced at $1100 minimum around here. The JM Marlin was about right due to condition. They sell for about $900 w/ normal wear and no rust. The Remington 1894C was high IMO. I have one and paid something like $575 new for it. But there aren't many of them since they shut production down very quickly. I can't comment on the others because I don't collect them. I know everyone wants a deal. But it wasn't like people were really over paying.

WILCO
09-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Sounds like folks wanted to pay more than anybody else.

When was the last time you seen a lull in the firearms market?
Folks aren't stupid and the things aren't getting cheaper.

http://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/32/60/1581396888-f4c8030b28f96e626c795390dbbb5665.jpg

s mac
09-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Some of the prices may be neighbors helping neighbors.

Skunk1
09-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Can't go to a auction around here, even with reloading items. They bring more than new on everything. Guns go for $100-$300 more than actual worth.

bubba.50
09-29-2016, 02:24 PM
a good auctioneer can start a feedin' frenzy that'll amaze you at what normally sane people will pay for junk guns.

Calamity Jake
09-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Gun actions are crazy!!!! been to many bought nothing!!!!!
There's one in Elk City Saturday put on by Grant's auction.
First one I've seen him put on with a 5% buyers premium attached.
I won't be going, have a milsurp bench rest match to go to.

country gent
09-29-2016, 04:08 PM
One thing at an auction I always hear is I won it, Not, I got it. To alot now once the Auctioneer Item gets them to bid its a contest to "win" the item. The other is some will pay a premium for firearms that dont have paperwork filled out on them, even the lowly form 4473. ALot of the auctioneers here now call in for the back ground check of firearms sales but a few dont do a 4473 yet. To some this is a big reason for the premium firearms bring at an auction or estate sale.

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-29-2016, 04:14 PM
In my experience, at estate sales firearms almost always bring more than what you can find them elsewhere with a little diligent searching.

jonp
09-30-2016, 02:19 PM
Some of the prices may be neighbors helping neighbors.

That happens at home.

376Steyr
09-30-2016, 02:34 PM
I got a great deal on a rifle at an estate sale one time. It happened after the small crowd had exhausted itself bidding up a re-finished Colt New Service and a couple of vintage Winchester .22 pumps. The rifle was a 6mm PPC, which nobody else in the crowd recognized. Sometimes its worth sticking around when the first guns go for crazy prices.

country gent
09-30-2016, 02:36 PM
The other thing Ive seen at estate auctions is items that couldnt be "split up" or divided going thru the estate auction and the actual family only pays the auctioneers commision and the others share.

sharpshooter3040
10-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Same around here. The Amish go to all of the estate auctions and especially gun auctions and bid the prices up to sometimes 30-50% more than the retail plus 10 big box stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardcast416taylor
10-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Here in the `Thumb` an old 4 generations hardware store had an absolute auction of the store and 3 old locked barns that served as warehouses for the store back in the early 1990`s. There already is an Amish community in the area. At the auction held in June the crowd looked like a straw hat salesman had sold off his entire stock due to all the Amish present, it also looked alot like a `horse and buggy` meet on the side streets. The old barns held old tools and parts from the turn of 1900 till when the store closed in the early `70`s. The firearms and ammunition was a collectors dream come true with all the pre-64 Winchesters and other makers. I bought a sealed wood case of Winchester low brass `skeet` shells that were in the wood crate with the shipping manifest on it from 1953. Didn`t see any amish bidding on firearms or ammunition, but they went nuts on the old tools.Robert

beechbum444
10-01-2016, 09:49 PM
I'm curious, what caliber was the 1894 Marlin "Older Rifle" , JM..????

Bookworm
10-02-2016, 09:44 AM
I'm curious, what caliber was the 1894 Marlin "Older Rifle" , JM..????

It was 44Mag. Edited to show.

OP here - thought I would comment on the prices.

I know where there is a Ruger SBH 7.5" 44Mag, blued, sitting in a gunshop right now. It looks to be barely fired, and the price tag is under $520. That's a long way from $700, and I'm certain I could get that price down some.

The BH .357 stainless convertible that went for $700 at auction, can be purchased from Bd's gunshop for ~$610 new, delivered.
Add the FFL fee ($30 for me, it varies...), and I have a never-fired duplicate for less. And, there is one sitting in the above-mentioned Funshop for $650, new, never fired. I bet I could make one heck of a package deal on both the .357 and the .44Mag.

It was crazy - the prices were consistently 15-25% above going rates.

As for "not filling out a 4733" (or whatever that number is) - I am here to tell you, .Gov KNOWS you. If you have EVER filled out a 4733, they have you on a database.
If you ever frequent sites such as this- well, we all know about the surveillance of phones, ISP's, etc.
Midsouth Shooters, Natchez, Powder Valley, etc etc etc - you leave a trail.

Pay for it with a credit card ? We already know that Big Brother has the records - it's been in the news that the CC companies are "sharing" info with the feds.

If you have EVER been to a gunshow - Big Brother is using car-plate surveillance and recording techniques - we know that, it's been in the news.

You are not hiding by not filling out a 4733.

And, let me tell you, when the time comes, they aren't going to come in force to get you firearms. You will voluntarily give them up.
Because if you don't, Big Brother will seize your bank accounts, lock your credit cards, shut off the power and water to your house, rescind any professional licenses (including driver) that you possess, and generally make your life miserable.

And the time is coming.

kbstenberg
10-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Yesterday I was at a firearms auction (local show about 3 times a year) There were only about 75 long guns. They went for either very high or medium low priced. Naturally everything I was interested in went on the high side.

Deep Six
10-02-2016, 11:16 PM
I quit going to firearm auctions. My experience is that a huge crowd of old geezers or the tinfoil hat brigade (common feature being neither buys guns via the internet) shows up thinking this is their chance to get a deal on some guns. By the time the bidding wars end, stuff is selling for 20% more than it does in the local store. It's a giant waste of time.