PDA

View Full Version : Glock 29 (Sub-Compact 10mm)

9.3X62AL
09-29-2016, 12:28 AM
After 3 years of selling off a significant number of my war toys, this year I have added 2 members to the gun safe. The more recent addition is the title item listed above, the Glock 29. Buckshot thought I was nuts, and made vague references to my thumb ending up in the crook of my elbow and similar comments. Not so at all--with the Winchester Silvertips (175 grain JHP @ 1275 FPS from a 5" barrel) or a reload that mimicked their performance, the recoil was noticeable but tractable. Not much different than Glock 30s or 36s I've fired in 45 ACP. I went through 100 of these loads on Saturday, plus 100 more of a gentler load (Federal 10mm Lite). These latter were kitty cats--40 S&W dynamics in all respects.

Most of my prior experience with the 10mm has been with the "Norma-Level Loads"--the 200 grainers that churn up 1200-1225 FPS from a 5" barrel. They give about 90% of a 4" 41 Magnum's power per shot, but beat the daylights out of 1911A1/Delta frames that fire them. Most 10mm ammo these days runs a 170-180 grain bullet between 1175-1275 FPS to keep the Colt Deltas assembled and uninjured, so there is a 10%-20% back-off in ferocity in the interest of mechanical integrity. The Colts seem to thrive on these loads, and they offer a 10%-20% power uptick from the 40 S&W for those sorts that enjoy such things. Like me, for example. The FBI 10mm Lite is still loaded by Federal, with a 180 Grain JHP running at 1030 FPS per their catalog. The 40 S&W, for all practical purposes.

200 rounds ran through the new pistol without a bobble of any kind. All fired brass landed in a neat 5'-wide pile 20 feet from the firing point at 4-o'clock. I won't likely try any Norma-level loads in any Glock, that might be a bit TOO MUCH of a good thing. The pistol showed excellent combat accuracy at 7--10--15 yards and raised hell with a convenient 10"-wide rock 35 yards off the muzzle.

I did get the Pearce magazine baseplates for the pistol's 3 mags. These did improve tactile feel a bit, giving my little finger something to do at the start of a firing string. But in rapid-fire/double-tap/failure drill sequences, the little finger was often hanging in the air after recoil--the Pearce finger notch wasn't quite up to the task of working 100% with my big paws. That said, the middle and ring finger on the grip controlled the pistol just fine. First-World problem.

I really like this little monster. I'll give it 250-300 more shots before carrying it in The Real World, but the first test drive bodes well for the future.

Bigslug
09-29-2016, 09:22 AM
That Silvertip would be my carry load of choice. They will punch three milk jugs and dent the fourth. The reason they don't penetrate the fourth is because they invert into a perfectly flat tabletop of .75" caliber mushroom. I wouldn't hunt anything large with it because of that lack of deep-diving, but if you're into energy transfer, it's your huckleberry.

9.3X62AL
09-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Good to know, Erik. 3-7/8" barrels aren't for hunting. :-) I will clock a few of these rounds over the chronograph next time I play with it in the desert, just for drill. From two 5" S&W barrels, these STs gave 1265-1280 FPS very consistently.

Tim357
09-30-2016, 12:56 AM
You made a good choice there. Couple of my workmates have both Glock 20/29. I cannot think of a better platform for this outstanding cartridge.

Boolit_Head
09-30-2016, 01:03 AM
I carried a model 20 full of Silvertips for many years. They can be a handful when the mag gets empty. Back in the day I found a Harts recoil reducer took some of the snap out of it so it's been residing there ever since.

9.3X62AL
09-30-2016, 01:34 AM
The Glock 29 is an SF variant, and it has what I believe to be a 4th Generation recoil spring/guide rod assembly. It is a 2-spring affair with stalwart tension and a metal sub-guide on one end. The whole thing is captive on the rod, thankfully--and fits like the recoil spring assemblies do on all Glock pistols. This assembly is a little different-looking, but other than that poses no new cleaning or maintenance questions AFAIK.

Lefty Red
10-01-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm scared to shoot a 10mm in a G20 or G29. Worried I might like it too much! :)
Same reason I won't get back into 1911s, my favorite caliber is the 38 Super.
Must fight the urge!

osteodoc08
10-02-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm scared to shoot a 10mm in a G20 or G29. Worried I might like it too much! :)
Same reason I won't get back into 1911s, my favorite caliber is the 38 Super.
Must fight the urge!

Ah. You know you want one. The Glock 20 is a fantastic pistol. I love it for woods carry. Mine are loaded with 200gr XTP with a full dose of Longshot powder. Excellent velocity and accuracy for me (although a bit loud without muffs)

Lefty Red
10-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Ah. You know you want one. The Glock 20 is a fantastic pistol. I love it for woods carry. Mine are loaded with 200gr XTP with a full dose of Longshot powder. Excellent velocity and accuracy for me (although a bit loud without muffs)

They are! Cousin wears one daily when working the cattle and fence checking. We set him up with a nice load with the XTP as well. Several hogs and deer have fallen to it with the extended Lone Wolf barrel.