PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Carry Pro BP II

W.R.Buchanan
09-27-2016, 11:04 PM
I acquired my first 1911 in a long time a few days ago. It is a Kimber Carry Pro BP II.

I did not even know they made a thing like this. Apparently they made these up until about 2005 and they didn't sell that well so they were dropped from the line.

It is a Commander length 1911 in .45 ACP that has a Steel Slide, and a Polymer/Aluminum frame. The slide ways are hard anodized aluminum and everything below that is polymer including the Grip, Beavertail, Mag well. Everything else internal is regular 1911 except for one minor point.

It is a Double Stack and whereas it came with 5 10rnd mags, it could use 14 round mags.(If I didn't live in CA.) like or from a Para 14/45. It also came with tritium night sights.

The reason I didn't have a 1911 is because I have never gotten behind only 8 rounds on board, and I really like the fatter grip on the double stacks. (I had a Para 16/40 LDA but got rid of it as the LDA part is a PITB) I haven't seen a Para 14/45 for sale used ever, and I can't really afford a STI 2011.

Believe me this was a screamin' deal or I wouldn't have bought it either. Way less than half price, and it is nice!

I really like the way it handles and it points great. I shot Hildegard 50 times last night during the debate! It will be going to Front Sight next month for a good break in.

Anyway that's my gun o the month. Probably will stop buying guns soon. Have plenty for Gavin to take when he confiscates all of them next year.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
09-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Here's some pics of the gun, as you can see it is Black.

I like the feel of the Polymer Grip and the Beavertail is poly also and closes down onto the grip perfectly insuring that you have it depressed as long as you are holding the gun.

The gun needs an extended mag release and slide release to facilitate operation with the larger grip but these are things I end up doing to all my pistols in the first few days after acquiring them. I also deburr and smooth out all the sharp edges found during Dry Firing and Handling so that they don't become an issue on long range days. This gun has fairly prominent Checkering on the front and rear of the grip and the edges of those patches were very sharp. They aren't now :mrgreen: and the gun feels very good in the hand. It only took about 1 hour to find all the high or sharp places and deal with them with an emeryboard.

Sights are Novaks and excellent. I got 5 10 rnd mags with it so I am good to go and all that is needed is a belt and mag holders for this gun.

I really don't understand why these guns didn't sell well? I guess it was just the double stack grip and the polymer which is different than the run of the mill 1911. At the end of the day it is still a Kimber and as such it is about as nice as any generic 1911 can get. Got it from a Cop who couldn't use it as a duty gun in his jurisdiction. Too bad because it is definitely superior to a Sig.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
10-06-2016, 07:48 PM
I guess nobody cares about my Gun o the Month. :violin:

Randy

Hamish
10-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Im still studying on it,,,,,

pjames32
10-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Wish I owned it! I have a Para P-14. Too heavy to carry loaded all day, but is my go to for a bad situation and it has been used by many to qualify for CCW (weight makes it EZ to shoot)
Enjoy it Randy!
PJ

ole 5 hole group
10-07-2016, 10:14 AM
When I saw the opinion that the Kimber was superior to the Sig P220 - I just thought maybe you forgot to take your meds that morning.;)

You have a fine pistol in that Kimber and the price was right, hope it keeps you happy until you test drive a Baer.;)

Tackleberry41
10-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I would imagine that tupperware drove off alot of traditionalists and why they did not sell well. 1911 people expect certain things in a 1911, a plastic frame is not one of them. But to me an interesting idea, a lighter 1911, and a double stack. But being a kimber, something I will never own due to the cost. Well unless I walked into a deal like you got.

I have never been impressed with Kimber, only person I know who has owned one, hated it. Went back to the factory several times. Seems like for what they charge they should run perfect every time.

I have been thinking of another 45 ACP semi auto, but would just buy a modern polymer gun.

Lloyd Smale
10-08-2016, 05:22 AM
didn't know they made such a thing myself

Dan Cash
10-08-2016, 07:43 AM
I have never been impressed with Kimber, only person I know who has owned one, hated it. Went back to the factory several times. Seems like for what they charge they should run perfect every time.

I bought a Kimber from a fellow about 15 years ago. He hated it and could not get it to function for beans. I inserted a Wilson magazine and the gun went to town. Have never had a malfunction that was not attributed to a bad magazine. His loss, my gain.

Tackleberry41
10-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Kimber my friend had, or still has. It wasnt a magazine issue. At one point it liked to put the brass right in your face. If I remember right, his dad had bought it, but never used it, gave it to the son. He found the issues. It went back 2x, dont know if it was ever fixed or if he gave up and went with his glocks.

clum553946
10-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Nice gun grab! I have a Kimber 9mm 1911 & have had no troubles with it. Now you're ready for Steel Challenge with those spare magazines!

W.R.Buchanan
10-12-2016, 06:00 PM
I just about have this gun where I want it. It has gone thru several trips to the shop after finding all the little sharp edges while shooting at Hildebeast on TV. I installed a Wilson Extended Slide Stop and that works great, but Brownell's sent me the wrong Mag Release. The correct one should be here next week and I can really start drilling with the gun.

I am going to Front Sight this month and I want to be very sharp before I get there. As such I've been doing Dry Practice in the Shop with my G21, G36, and the Kimber several nights a week.

My goal is the "Distinguished Graduate" this 4 day class which has eluded me for along time. In order to do that you must shoot 12 or less on the test.

Last Year I shot 13 and was bummed. :violin:

I really want to do it with both a Glock and the 1911.

Anyway the gun feels really good in my hands after I've knocked off all the sharp spots, and will be a great shooter.

Randy

BNE
10-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Those are the guns that turned me on to Kimber. That being said I ended up getting a TLEII in stainless. I wrestled with which one I should get. I have a long way to go before I can afford a gun a month !!

let us know how it shoots. Every Kimber I have shot points and handles the same. I love them.