PDA

View Full Version : Game cameras

richhodg66
09-27-2016, 08:49 PM
I know virtually nothing about them. I have no desire to use them for my hunting, but they have always seemed like a neat hobby just by themselves.

I live way out in the sticks and know I have various critters that come around the house at night. I'd kind of like to get a good idea of what and when.

I'm not real tech saavy, but I know some will actually send pictures right to your computer and such which would be nice if I'm away.

What are some decent ones that won't break the bank and are fairly simple to use?

white eagle
09-27-2016, 09:15 PM
I have a couple of cameras
the ones you are referring to are more expensive than
the just camera type (pictures)infrared night vision is nice
as well better night pics
most are not very pricey in the scheme of things but like
most everything you can get very expensive
mine are made by Bushnell and work real well
I tend to go inexpensive cause ya never know when a
slobbering trespasser will steal the camera
if you can program a alarm clock you can set up a trail camera

jcren
09-27-2016, 09:37 PM
I have a few different brands and like my Moultries the best so far. The ones that email pics are several hundred dollars and require a cellular service and signal to work. If you want to get techy, the "black box" game cams use a small, local Wi-Fi box to receive and store from cams up to 100 feet away, then you can download to your phone etc when you are also within 100 feet or so of the black box.

richhodg66
09-27-2016, 09:43 PM
I was in Wal Mart today and they have several in the $45-$65 range. Might just pick up a couple. I do most of my deer hunting on public land and I see a lot of them other guys put up (I trip them now and then accidentally, I hope they like pics of my ugly mug, LOL). I never have had the desire to use them for deer hunting, but I like watching wildlife, not to mention it would tell me if anybody had been trespassing.

NSB
09-27-2016, 10:04 PM
I've been doing game cameras for about fifteen years now. I've owned dozens of them and they range in quality from mostly poor to a few brands I'd rate good. Back when I started using them I thought they'd be nice for hunting...and they are. However, I found out that they're a lot more fun just to use to see what's moving around on your property. I've gotten many thousands of pictures over the years and used to save a lot of them. Anymore, I just save the unusual ones. This year I've gotten several hundred bear pics (probably eight or nine bears total on my property but they hang around and aren't camera shy), a bobcat and later on the same cat with kittens, a fisher which is supposed to be fairly uncommon here in this part of NY, and a lot of deer. Until I started using them I had no idea how many bucks I have on my 165 acres. So far this year I have pics of over two dozen different bucks. If I ever quit hunting (I won't) I'd keep doing cameras....they're a lot of fun. I've got nine out right now. For the money I've found Cuddeback E series to be the best. Fantastic trigger speed so you capture every shot. Nothing "wakes it up" and then gets out of the way before the pic is taken. It has a quarter second trigger speed and the batteries last about four months. Also, the warranty is two full years and then three more years at a very reduced rate for a new one. No one else offers that good of a warranty. They run around a hundred forty-nine bucks. I think they're the best in that price range. To get a better camera you'll spend around five hundred for a Reconyx and it's not all that much better. Less pixels but they do fix them for just about forever if you have a problem. Good luck with what ever you get. One last thing....the cheap ones don't last because they don't have any corrosion proof cladding on the connections. You'll get about a year out of them at best. Sometimes you'll get two. Most of the brands I ever got failed within a year. They also have very slow trigger speeds so you get a lot of blank pics. The Cuddebacks will take pics and videos with sound. You can get both or just one depending on how you set them up.

1988-4551
09-30-2016, 10:22 PM
Hi Rich,

I like them. Figure its about my third year using them. Started out with a wildgame innovations cheapest deal at the time at dick's sporting goods while doing a trapping job. I think you'll do just fine with those from Wal-mart. My only recommendation would be to drop the extra five or ten bucks and get one that shoots video. You'd be amazed at some of the stuff those things will catch. I use them for animal damage control work and usually try and have at least one in the woods, which turns into an excuse for me and the kids to go into the woods when there isn't a hunting season open to get the memory card or replace batteries. Those that will send you pictures usually run off cell towers and you need cell service for whatever network the cameras towers connect to and pay about ten bucks a month for the service. The regular you go out and get the memory card cameras are about fifty bucks, the send pictures to your phone/computer are about a few hundred.

barrabruce
10-02-2016, 07:44 AM
177967 177968177969
See the culprit who picked my pineapple before me.
Ha caught you.
And some dodgy looking characters as well.
and night life.
Happy with my bushnell black led camera.
Haven't caught the person I want YET but I believe it has been a good deterrent and no things have happened to my 'ol girl since I got a camera and let it be known that when I caught them on camera the police better get them before I do.

barrabruce
10-02-2016, 07:49 AM
Ghee's I starting to sound like a grumpy 'ol fart!