PDA

View Full Version : New 6.5 Creedmoor

osteodoc08
09-27-2016, 07:18 PM
So I've been fed up with the accuracy of one of my rifles. I've contemplated purchasing a dedicated target gun. Well..........I finally put one in jail. It's a Masterpiece Arms BA seen here:

http://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-6-5ba-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle/

It's the tungsten color seen on the first picture.

Guaranteed 3/8 MOA and this one has a 1 pound 6 ounce trigger that is really sweet.

Best of all, it's built in my home state and it was so easy for me to call the company and speak to the president with a few questions about the barrel.

So now I need suggestions for scopes, brass, bullets and powder. Time to stock up now while I can.

Bohica793
09-27-2016, 08:25 PM
So far my favorite load is 38.7 grains of IMR-4064 under a Sierra 123 grain HPBT, Hornady brass, Winchester Large Rifle primers, 2.820 OAL. This is the result of two passes on an OCW ladder resulting in one hole (.075 group size) at 100 yards and sub 1" at 200 yards. I am working on a load with H4350 and Hornady 140 grain ELDs and have it down to .214 at 100 yards on the first pass.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 Varmiter 28" barrel.

Dryball
09-28-2016, 12:16 AM
That is one sweet outfit. As long as you're letting us spend your money... Leupold Prw rings and bases can't be beat, but I'm also partial to DNZ's or any base/ring combo that are one piece. As far as optics, sky's the limit. The "rule of thumb" though is spend about as much on glass as the rifle. Nightforce and Vortex and a scope from Premier Reticles would be at the top of my list.

warboar_21
09-28-2016, 07:53 PM
NightForce is one of most commonly used scopes in long range shooting competition. Once you look through it you will understand why. Vortex updated their Razor HD scope and it does appear to be much nicer than their previous model. Schmidt & Binder is another top tier scope and is going to set you back more than the previous two will. They are also widely used in long range shooting comps. Vortex seems to be about the best bang for the buck though.

osteodoc08
09-28-2016, 09:29 PM
There are several NF target scopes available for around $1250. There is also the Burris XTR and Leupold as well as the Vortex line. Definitely want a Mil Dot with 24x minimum and FFP. Suggestions?

Earlwb
09-28-2016, 09:52 PM
That is a really nice rifle. I envy you.Congratulations. Yeah a nice scope is the way to go for it. Nothing cheap for a good rifle.

LIMPINGJ
09-28-2016, 11:12 PM
IOR Valdada has some nice glass.

Dryball
09-29-2016, 12:10 AM
I would got with a FFP scope as you can use it to range at all magnifications, also, got with the 1/4 moa's and not the milrands. This, of course, is dependant on what you are used to or have experience with. Also external adjustable turrets are quite handy. As far as reticles themselves...the less clutter the better and unless you constantly train/use them they will take too long to use to be of any use. Range your distance and dial in your dope...

Dryball
09-29-2016, 01:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1MMq2cxzw8&index=3&list=WL

this explains the difference between FFP and SFP

warpspeed
09-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Just a suggestion -

Try some of the factory ammo first.

The price of factory is so reasonable and shoots so well that many guys don't bother with reloading.

Ask the guys at MPA what they recommend.

osteodoc08
09-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Just a suggestion -

Try some of the factory ammo first.

The price of factory is so reasonable and shoots so well that many guys don't bother with reloading.

Ask the guys at MPA what they recommend.

That was one of the things I discussed with them. The barrel was set up for Hornady factory using 140gr Hdy AMax. The load data is provided on the box. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my paws on H4350. I have several pounds of IMR 4350 (Canadian).

tygar
09-29-2016, 09:05 PM
NIGHTFORCE! period, for BR or hunting. Best I've ever had or used & I have or had Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B etc, all the top end stuff.

Have several 6.5s but no Creedmore, so no info.

osteodoc08
09-29-2016, 09:15 PM
NIGHTFORCE! period, for BR or hunting. Best I've ever had or used & I have or had Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B etc, all the top end stuff.

Have several 6.5s but no Creedmore, so no info.

The NightForce I wanted was just not within the budget. Perhaps next go around. I did pull the trigger on a Burris XTR 2 5-25 x 50 illuminated reticle with FFP.

I had looked at a few NightForce SFP target scopes, but really preferred the FFP scope set up. Perhaps I shouldn't worry so much on a target gun and just get the NF target scope?

dk17hmr
09-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Nightforce are good, not the end all be all for long range though.

The Burris XTR II has great reviews and everyone I talk to with them loves them, for around $1000 I would go that way.

I have a Vortex Razor HD gen 1 mil/mil and really really like it I bought it through Euro Optics for around $1400 when Vortex said they were coming out with the gen 2.

S&B makes excellent scopes.

Tangent Theta is pretty impressive also.

The precision rifle blog did a scope review about a year ago, of about 20 of the top scopes on the market for LR, Google it it's worth a read.

B. Lumpkin
09-30-2016, 04:33 PM
S&B...go big or go home, lol.

If mainly shooting from a static bench at known distance, I would get a SFP scope. If planned use is fast adjustment, and unknown distance shooting, then go with a FFP.

A really good scope if you can find one is one of the Steiner Military 4-16 scopes. They can be had for decent prices and are outstanding. You can get a lot of scope for your money in the $1,300-$2,000 range. Especially if you consider used as long as it is a brand that warrants the scope regardless of whether you are the original owner or not.

First thing I would figure out is how you are going to use the rifle. Then I would branch out from there.

tygar
10-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Burris & Vortex can't compare with NF, Swarovski, S&B, on any level(I do have some Burris but not for any BR/LR). Burris is getting there & has some real nice scopes.

With NF you get the best in glass, clarity, options, etc. & can get the exact scope for whatever you need.

Of course, that's my judgment, yours may differ.

bigbear
10-06-2016, 10:27 AM
I have 2 Nightforce scopes, one on my M1A (Norinco variant) . The other was on my Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5Creedmoor, now sitting in a box waiting for (Godot perhaps). It was replaced by a Kahles 624i scope. The Kahles is way better than my old NF which are away better than all my Leupolds. So keep an open mind and save your pennies, quality glass ain't cheap!

snowwolfe
10-08-2016, 10:23 AM
A friend of mine bought a pair of Night Force scopes for a Marco Polo sheep hunt. One was mounted on his rifle the other was carried as a spare. Both ended up fogging. To say he was p'eod was an under statement.