PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong with brush+chore boy?

302w
09-27-2016, 06:24 PM
I've done lots of research on the copper pad+bore brush trick.

It isn't cutting it for me. I can't seem to get all of the lead out of the grooves in my 9mm Shield.

Is too much a bad thing? I have it loaded with copper strands. I have a good 20 passes in and there's still a lot in the grooves.

DerekP Houston
09-27-2016, 06:28 PM
I'd appreciate a video demonstration if possible ;). I've ruined a few choreboys cutting them up and wrapping around bore brushes with no success either. I found soaking the barrel in atf and a standard oversized bore brush worked well for me though.

fredj338
09-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Are you brushing dry? I use Kroil, seems to help a lot, but regular bore solvent also works. The brush needs to be tight fit too.

shoot-n-lead
09-27-2016, 06:52 PM
I have never used oil and always had great success with choreboy and have cleaned some pretty bad bores, years ago. However, oil is sure to help with "chore".

RoadBike
09-27-2016, 06:58 PM
I use an old worn-out bore brush as a base and then wrap a good chunk of ChoreBoy around said brush. I brush dry, and it works.

302w
09-27-2016, 07:05 PM
I've been brushing with Hoppes. New bronze brushes, stainless steel brushes, chore boy.. all no dice.

I am going to try the vinegar/peroxide soak. Will use safety precautions.

In another thread... I need to figure out why the thing is leading in the first place!

bstone5
09-27-2016, 07:06 PM
A regular copper bore brush with a cloth patch wrapped over the bore brush with steel wool or chore boy on top of the cloth patch will remove the lead with some oil on the cloth patch.
Have removed lead when other people could not get the lead from the barrel.
The bore brush with the oily patch will keep the steel wool or chore boy material very close to the bore of the barrel which AIDS in removing the lead. Some times two patches is required to get the cleaning metal fibers into the groves. The assembled cleaning arrangement needs to fit tight in the barrel to work.

bilco
09-27-2016, 07:21 PM
9mm barrels are a PITA to delead. To get my m&p9L barrel clean took countless passes and over an hour to finally get clean....

Was running bore brushes, patch jigs covered with a patch with chore boy on top, you name it. I couldn't figure out an easy way to deal with it. Guessing I'm doing it wrong too.

Newboy
09-27-2016, 07:30 PM
If your barrel is hard, order some stainless steel bore brushes from Brownell's. They remove everything. Quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-27-2016, 08:51 PM
I use a properly sized brass jag, cotton patch soaked in Ed's Red, 0000 steel wool (about 20 or 30 strands)...never fails.

JCherry
09-27-2016, 08:54 PM
I have always used a jag with a patch of cloth or paper towel covered with chore boy. I first run a snug patch covered jag through the barrel without the chore boy with Kroil / Ed's Red etc. Then I wrap the patched jag with chore boy and run it through the barrel several times. The tighter the better.

Have Fun,
JCherry

Scharfschuetze
09-27-2016, 09:40 PM
For heavy leading in a handgun's bore, it's really hard to beat the Lewis Lead Remover. While "old school," it has been available for decades as it really works well.

https://youtu.be/bP69SZDwbjw

ghh3rd
09-27-2016, 11:05 PM
This stuff works wonders... much better than chore boy, etc. A few strands on your brush, and a few passes and lead is gone! I have used just this without solvent and it still works.

http://www.big45.com/

tward
09-28-2016, 07:22 AM
If you have a marine or boating store nearby get some bronze wool, it's easy to wrap around the bore brush and a little harder than pure copper. Tim:bigsmyl2:

44man
09-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Not something I want. First is to stop leading at the start. I go 3 to 5 years without a bore cleaning. Actually never need it. I clean cylinders to get fresh STP on pins and the ratchet. I never need to touch the bore.
Your alloy or lube is failing.

reddog81
09-28-2016, 10:15 AM
for a barrel with bad leading 20 passes is nothing.

ghh3rd
09-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Interesting that your .44 stays that clean. I know that mine stays clean, but I've been cleaning it after each session, probably unnecessarily.

My PPQ .45 has a polygonal barrel and after a couple hundred rounds has a trace of lead at the beginning of the rifling. The only bad leading I have ever had in a firearm was from about 30 rounds of .22 Thunderbolt through my Ruger SR22. I could barely see through the barrel and the lead had stalactites sticking out ... couldn't even get a brush through it. I must have been squirting bullets through the mess before the gun stopped.

gpidaho
09-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Get a Birchwood Casey Lead remover& Polishing cloth. Cut it into patches and using a smaller than nine jag clean the barrel. I've even cleaned up Nagant barrels that I believe hadn't been cleaned ever. Give it a try, only five bucks. Gp

mdi
09-28-2016, 12:00 PM
I too use Kroil (not really oil, but a "light penetrating" oil) and often squirt/soak the barrel with it. It seems to "seep under" lead and removing it is easier. I've read of "antimony wash" that appears to be leading but is much harder to remove. I may have experienced that with one of my 9mms...

gwpercle
09-28-2016, 02:26 PM
I've been brushing with Hoppes. New bronze brushes, stainless steel brushes, chore boy.. all no dice.

I am going to try the vinegar/peroxide soak. Will use safety precautions.

In another thread... I need to figure out why the thing is leading in the first place!

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner, search the recipe , give the barrel a long soak, submerge it. Then work it over with the brush, steel wool / Chore Boy , wet with Ed's Red. That should get it.
PS...20 strokes is just a start on a stubborn lead build up , I've spent three days cleaning some old neglected military bores , 30 to 45 minutes brushing, then soaking until the next day, 30 to 45 minutes brushing and soak until next day...day three will usually get it complete. If not....new barrel time !
You can make a gallon of Ed's Red for less than $20.00 with all ingredients bought from Wally Mart
Gary

solderboy
09-28-2016, 02:58 PM
I bought some choreboy at the dollarstore, when I got home I seen they are copper coated...what do you suppose is under the copper? steel? if so, will that scratch the bore?

CHeatermk3
09-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Yes, steel. Try a magnet on it if you're not sure. The real "Chore Boy" is copper thru and thru.

Mitch
09-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you have one leading badly.Try the lewis lead remover is it your friend while you get you boolits and lube dialed in.I read and was told about copper cleaning pads to.tryed everything no go.the Lewis lead remover was one of the best tools I have bought.

dubber123
09-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Some will argue that it doesn't work, others (such as Veral Smith of LBT mold fame), will tell you to shoot a proper fitting boolit with a good lube at a slower velocity that you are currently doing. Lead sticks to lead very well. I have done this on occasion, and a half dozen rounds will remove a lot of lead. More fun than brushing too ;)

I haven't had to deal with leading in a good long time, and I prefer to keep it that way :) Good luck getting your load dialed in.

clum553946
09-28-2016, 07:32 PM
I shoot 3 magazines of fmj loads in rapid succession & that clears out the leading for me. I could never get the chore boy or the Lewis lead remover to get all of it out. They say doing this can increase pressure, but it works well for me. I do load my fmj's on the lighter side.

302w
09-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Carb dip seems promising.

I soaked my M&P barrel for two hours or so, and I was able to knock out 90% of what's left.

My dad's Shield barrel is pretty fouled. I'll give that an overnight soak tomorrow and see how it works.

Edit: if this turns out well, I want credit for this discovery!

mdi
09-29-2016, 11:49 AM
While I don't recommend it, a 50-50 mix of peroxide and vinegar will remove lead from a barrel. But if you don't watch very carefully, it'll ruin your barrel. I have a nice Dan Wesson with pits in the barrel from soaking in the mix...

MKN
09-29-2016, 01:55 PM
I have used the brass dust and curls from cutting cases down ( 223 - to 300 blk) I use an old brush, add enough patches to it so it becomes a tight fit. Drip a little ATF on it, roll it in the dust, wrap a few curls around the patched brush. Seems to work well, but I only had some leading at the muzzle of my 9 MM and 300 blk. I used more lube and seem to have corrected the leading issue in both guns, I also dropped the "10" out of the 45 - 45 -10 lube, it did not seem to need it.

Matt

Gohon
09-29-2016, 11:34 PM
If you look closely at a Chore Boy you will see it actually has a hole through the center, kind of like a donut but smaller. Put your thumbs into that hole and turn the Chore Boy inside out. Then cut a strand and start pulling it out. The strand will be from about 2 to 3 feet long. This is what you wrap around the bore brush, in the opposite direction of the barrel twist. Keep wrapping strands until you get a tight fit. the system works...just gotta put it on right. The real trick is to get to the point there is no leading of the barrel. Pay attention to what 44man said....he is spot on.