PDA

View Full Version : Need a gunsmith advice

45fan
09-27-2016, 02:08 PM
I have a Ruger SR1911, with a standard single sided thumb safety. I am a lefty so an ambi safety is a must. Can some one tell me the advantage and/or disadvantage between safeties secured with a pin and those secured by right side grip? Which is a better option and why?

Der Gebirgsjager
09-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Probably, from a function viewpoint (does it work?) there is none. If you removed or broke your right side grip and the safety piece fell off and was lost in the tall grass, that would be a significant difference. Is it a practical consideration? Probably not.

Greg S
09-27-2016, 03:45 PM
The problem with ambi-safeties is on standard ones, there is only one contact point between the two sides on the pin that goes through the frame. On the ambi safeties, it is a semi dovetail type joint that is fine for normal use but with the advent of competitive use and thumb riders, the joint is over stressed and sometimes one of the ears fails. The Wilson Bullet Proof Safety has a fix for the problem of over stressing the weak control which acts as a lever stop and holds the frame side of the control close the the frame. It is a spendie option. I have one installed on a 9mm game gun and have had no problems with it over a short period of time (5K).

I would really only look at this option for a high use game gun or a service gun for a lefty if they are authorized (1) an ambi and (2) need it.

msinc
09-27-2016, 09:43 PM
I have a Ruger SR1911, with a standard single sided thumb safety. I am a lefty so an ambi safety is a must. Can some one tell me the advantage and/or disadvantage between safeties secured with a pin and those secured by right side grip? Which is a better option and why?

The one with the pin is my choice. I have used both and what I don't care for about the "tab under the grip" type is that you have to remove some of the inside of the grip for clearance or the tab will drag and/or not move at all. The clearance is no problem, but if you get too much then the side you use will have noticeable play which you wont like the feel of. If you don't have enough then there is the possibility that the tiniest piece of foreign debris can/will drag or lock things up. Any resistance to movement and the "drive joint" or where the two sides couple together will spread and then it gets a sloppy feel to it as well.
The pinned type has no tab sandwiched between the frame and grip and is, by and of itself, a solid no play drive couple instead of the "floating" type coupling in the one with the tab. All this may be confusing...it's one of those things where I can show you better than I can tell you. But, you wont need to have anyone show you anything if you try both...you will quickly get what I am saying.

weaselfire
09-30-2016, 02:42 PM
Installed correctly, either works well. I second the Wilson recommendation, but you really have to want it to spend the cash.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk