PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations - 357 Magnum

bascom32423
10-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi,

A friend of mine is looking to get a 357 Magnum for home defense (in light of the recent problems). I'm not up on 357s so if someone could recommend a good cost effective 357 revolver, I will pass it on to him.

Thanks,
Henry

Char-Gar
10-29-2005, 11:20 PM
A Smith and Wesson K,L, or N frame pistol with a 4 - 6" barrel. Lots of them out there.

Singletree
10-30-2005, 07:55 AM
The discontinued Ruger Security Six fills a niche if smaller frame revolver is desirable. It usually don't bring a fist full of dollars and along with the Smiths, it is a sturdy, reliable firearm.

Bret4207
10-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Ditto the 2 previous posts.

45nut
10-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Ditto from here ,,I have a S&W model 19,nickled 4" that is a real shooter and just picked up recently a Speed Six 357 for the grand sum of 165 bucks. That lil ruger is a dandy too,compact and capable.
I need to pick up a few bianchi speed strips for it. My last 357 is a 6 1/2" 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk I bought from a friend,been shot some but was in the box with all papers.
All very handy,I have a Lyman 358156 4 cav that feeds one and all with accuracy that exceeds my eye's capabilities. The 25 yard steel spinners in my back yard see regular action from all of these revolvers. The Speed Six is getting lot's of carry time and the S&W being equipped with laser grips is my go-to gun from the bedside.

Shepherd2
10-30-2005, 07:06 PM
I'd look for a good Ruger Security Six. Not too big or expensive, adjustable sights and you can't wear them out.

BCB
10-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Ruger Security-Six...I have a couple of 'em and they just keep on a shootin'...It's amazing how inexpensive used ones are. A good value for the money...BCB

wills
10-30-2005, 09:53 PM
I had a Security Six and SWMBO took it away, then I got a Python and SWMBO tried the trigger of the Python and took it away and gave the Security Six back.

RayinNH
10-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Henry, I have a Service Six which is the same as a Security Six but with fixed sights. It's a good choice. If you want something a little newer then Rugers SP or GP series would would be very good choices...Ray

DOUBLEJK
10-31-2005, 12:45 AM
There's a lota good .357's available fer sure...n Rugers GP100's are good guns and more affordable than most quality guns...
But the one I use most is a S&W Model 60 with adj. sights n a 3" barrel...makes a dandy CCW outfit...
It is one of the most accurate revolvers I own...sure didn't expect it to shoot as well as it does...plumb amazin' what it'll do with that little short tube its got...
My wife also likes it as it is easy for her to handle...but she notices the sharp recoil with the hotter loads so stays with loads in the .38 Special +P range n does good work with it...

BOOM BOOM
11-01-2005, 12:22 AM
HI,
I have shot the colt python & although it is a quility pistol I don't think its worth the price. I like the S&W K,L,& N frames real quality, very reliable. But still a little overpriced. The Rugers are real quality, very reliable & the best bang for the buck.
2 points you should cosider:
1) in a self defence gun use the biggest/most powerful cartrage you can shoot accuratly. If you can not hit with it it is useless.
2) use the best quality gun you can afford. How much is your life worth?
In my humble opinion the 3 makes mentioned above fill this criteria better than any other makes by a long margin.
Don't forget to try a 41 mag, 44special, 44mag, or a 45LC YOU MAY FIND YOU REALLY LIKE THEM BETTER.

versifier
11-01-2005, 04:36 AM
I don't think you can do better than a S&W model 19 or 66, or a Ruger Security 6 or GP 100. If your friend has small hands, an/or an ofspring, lady friend, etc., that may be shooting it, too, then I'd go for the Rugers with their smaller grip. For those of us with large hands, either is fine, can be had for a reasonable price used, and there are lots of different aftermarket grips available: rubber, fancy wood, laser sights, etc. :Fire:

MT Gianni
11-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Just to add to what's allready been said make sure he gets a good quality double action and if it's really for home defense get some glasser safety slugs or such to prevent over penetration in his house. Practice with good cast bullets but know where your inside loads shoot too. Gianni.

Hardcast
11-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Have mercy.
A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
A haw, haw, haw

John Lee Hooker ?

felix
11-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah, Pow, Pow, Pow, Pow; Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang! I can here him now in the beer joint on a lonely road 10 miles east of Hartford CT. Must have been 200 folks there that night. Hippy looking folks too, especially for the 1975 era. ... felix

wills
11-03-2005, 09:50 PM
John Lee Hooker ?

Z Z Top

La Grange

http://groups.msn.com/SandyWilliamsLaGrangehouse/shoebox.msnw

Hardcast
11-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Z Z Top

La Grange

OK, thanks. On the topic, I would want one of the big 8 shot revolvers, S&W being at the top of the list. But, if they are out of the price range, then a 7 shot L frame S&W would be the next best choice. Also, I would want at least a 5"bbl. The shorter the bbl, the closer the blast is to your head. I fired a shot at a ground hog standing next to a metal tractor shed several years ago, and the 4" 357 with 125 gr jhp ammo was deafening! I can't imagine what it would feel like to shoot one inside a house.