PDA

View Full Version : Flint Lock Pistol Kits yes or no or?

JesterGrin_1
06-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I am new to this and wanted to build a Flint Lock Pistol and was looking at some kits like through Dixie. But I thought I would ask here first as I would like to have a quality product when done. So any help would very much be appreciated.

Thank You. :)

northmn
06-06-2008, 10:18 AM
There are other sources for kits depending upon your skill level. One good one is Track of the Wolf, another is Log Cabin (look under Log Cabin Muzzleloaders) and finally Muzzle Loaders Builders Supply. You can compare prices fo production kits, buy what you need to build your own or get precarved custom kits. A flintlock needs a good lock to give proper enjoyment.

Northmn

jackley
06-06-2008, 10:30 AM
+++++1 on the good lock for a flintlock.

Jerrry

JesterGrin_1
06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
But who would have the best lock with the precarved custom kits? Thank You for the info. :)

KCSO
06-06-2008, 11:32 AM
A good lock will run $80-$100 so if the whole kit is $79.95 you should pass. Track has several parts sets that will make up into a suitable flint pistol. The BECKY lock is especially nice for a using and target pistol, or you might try the waterproof NOCK. If you are serious about target shotinng be sure you get a 1 -20 or so twist. Most of the cheap kits have barrels with the same twist as the rifles and that doesn't work as well with light charges in a pistol.

northmn
06-07-2008, 05:15 PM
You get what you pay for. Actually I only disagree with KCSO in the fact that currently good locks, like the Becky Lock, are running about $120. There are several aspects of a flintlock that makes them more expensive. they have to be designed to be properly timed, the frizzen has to be hardened to spark properly and the springs are more critical. A lot of the bad reputation comes from cheap guns and locks that do not perform well. I could buy a lock at $120, a barrel at 60 and build the rest from from scrap parts. I doubt if you would be satisfied trying that. The more expensive kits are the better pistols. L&R, Siler and Davis make good locks.

Northmn

JesterGrin_1
06-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Northmn thank you for the info. Would you know who would be the best place to purchase such items? And I was looking for more of a kit then a piece meal if there is such a thing as a good kit?

Johnch
06-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Here is a link to http://www.trackofthewolf.com (http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(huqmr42vicvpwk55yovb123s))/categories/partList.aspx?catID=13&subID=77&styleID=300)

I built a Flint pistol a few years ago
I use a Small Queen Anne ( sp ) lock

It was a fun toy , but I just didn't use it enough
So I sold it

I had them do a few things like install breech plug

I also add a few up grades

John

northmn
06-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Track of the Wolf and another is Muzzleloaders Builders Supply. Both are easily found with a search. I do not know what you want in a pistol or your uses, but a 36 or 40 is good for small game, and a 50-54 may be used under ideal conditions for deer up close.

Northmn

kjg
06-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Here's my take on the matter , go ahead and build a kit from track of the wolf, but to be honest really is not a true kit or kit gun, if you have never built any type of muzzleloading arm, buy the cheaper one, if you do like it then buy a more expensise one, then after a few you'll be ready for your first custom from scratch, thats the why most builders start, thats the way I started and have done so for over 30 years , and have sold bunches through track of the wolf if you have any problems pm me and I'll guide ya through it .kjg:drinks:

JesterGrin_1
06-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Thank You so much everyone. I put in an order for a catalog from Track of the Wolf.