PDA

View Full Version : Dacron Substitute...

BCB
09-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Can a small piece of Kleenex tissue be used to hold the powder charge against the primer?...

Can't seem to locate any Dacron without driving some distance...

Thanks...BCB

Kraschenbirn
09-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Kleenex (or toilet paper) will work but may scatter burning bits of paper on the ground in front of the muzzle...definite fire hazard if grass/leaves/etc. are very dry. First discovered this many, many years back when I tried using TP wad during one of my first experiences at case forming. As I recall, others here have mentioned similar experiences.

Bill

NSB
09-26-2016, 10:29 AM
No Wal Mart stores near you? One bag will last ten lifetimes. Use an old pillow if you have one around. That's all it is, pillow stuffing.

BCB
09-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Yea, there's one a 1/2 dozen miles away, but I am reloading some 270's and I just wanted to do 5 as a test run...

As soon as I'm done reloading those, I will be heading to my range--in the opposite direction of Walmart...

Maybe I should just wait to test them at a later date, or head to the head and the TP dispenser...

Thanks...BCB

jcren
09-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Polyfil pillow or stuffed animal stuffing is about the same ( maybe is the same ) stuff.

chboats
09-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Dryer lint also works

Carl

Victor N TN
09-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Dryer lint also works

Carl

Depends about the drier lent. We get a LOT of cotton lent in ours. Cotton will carry sparks better than toilet paper. Use extreme caution. Pass a match or lighter under it. If it flames... Well, I wouldn't do it.

runfiverun
09-26-2016, 12:11 PM
I have used a lot of dryer lint as case filler.
you sometimes see it float away on the wind mostly you don't, but it does keep the barrel dryer than not using it.
and it's easier to use than loose fibers from a pillow.

farmerjim
09-26-2016, 12:26 PM
This is where I got mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-Poly-Fil-Premium-Polyester-16-Ounce/dp/B006I04VLU

quack1
09-26-2016, 01:08 PM
BCB- where in western Pa? If you are anywhere near Butler, I'd be glad to give you some dacron.

BCB
09-26-2016, 02:03 PM
BCB- where in western Pa? If you are anywhere near Butler, I'd be glad to give you some dacron.

Thanks for the offer—I’m a bit too far north of you though. At the Autumn Leaf Festival town where they are presently celebrating the Home Coming Week for my ol’ Alma Mater, small Clarion University…

But, it just dawned on me that I go to check on my mom on a daily basis as she is in her 9th decade of living and she used to do quilting. I think they put Dacron or such into those quilts…

Now then, do I put a piece about the size of a quarter in each case?...

Thanks…BCB

Hardcast416taylor
09-26-2016, 02:11 PM
An old not used stuffed kids animal is full of it, a worn out couch or bed pillow is full of it. Any JoAnn`s fabric, for instance, will have it. I`ve used both kleenex and TP in place of Dacron filler. It worked fine for my needs on my range.Robert

Hamish
09-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Dryer lint also works

Carl

I used dryer lint myself until I found a fired case that the powder had apparently burned in such a manner to shrivel the lint into a hard "turd" that if unfound, would likely have caused a pressure spike when it hit the neck with the ultra low pressure load I was using. No more lint for me thank you,,,,,.

runfiverun
09-26-2016, 03:47 PM
to use a filler properly it must hold the powder in place.
it must completely fill the air gap in the case.
it must touch both the powder and the boolit.

you do not want just a wad of stuff crammed down on top of the powder.
it must be fluffed up and lightly compressed by the boolits base.
failure to do so will result in a compressed air pressure ring transferred to your rifle.

in other words.
you'll ring your chamber.

NSB
09-26-2016, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=BCB;3790688]Thanks for the offer—I’m a bit too far north of you though. At the Autumn Leaf Festival town where they are presently celebrating the Home Coming Week for my ol’ Alma Mater, small Clarion University…

But, it just dawned on me that I go to check on my mom on a daily basis as she is in her 9th decade of living and she used to do quilting. I think they put Dacron or such into those quilts…

Thanks…BCB[/QUOTE
Use a half grain and pluck it up/loft it up as much as possible and then push it into the case without packing it in. It should fill the space between the powder and the base of the bullet. Let the bullet press it down. FYI,it's not a lot of material you're putting in there.

big bore 99
09-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Go to Goodwill and pick up a stuffed kid's toy for 25 cents. Enough for a lifetime. I quit using any fillers after reading many horror storys about ringed chambers and such.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
At least in the UK filter tips for rolling cigarettes are made of a vegetable fibre, combed into longitudinally aligned fibres the length of the tip, and enclosed in a tissue wrapper. It might be cotton, but I think it is kapok, which has even less substance, as the fibres are tiny tubes - hence its use in lifebelts. I used to insert the filter tip part way, and then slit the paper with a tiny souvenir bayonet stamped "Ypres".

I think fine and not unduly compressed cotton would burn well enough, probably not in the bore, where the gases are oxygen-starved but on hitting the atmosphere. Kapok is very inflammable, and my filter-tip fibre only a few shorter pieces fell to earth, charred but not burning.

Kapok is interesting stuff. The night of Pearl Harbor the War Council had to list all possible reasons to declare war, to put them to Congress. Among those were danger to strategic supplies, but the only one on the list was kapok, which came mostly from the Dutch East Indies. But nobody on the War Council knew what it was for.

BCB
09-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Darn, guess I should have waited for clarification on how to use the filler...

I loaded only 3 rounds but I took the dacron and pushed it lightly against the powder charge. I now have the airspace that was mentioned that I shouldn't have!!!...

Oh well, I have an inertia hammer so I will make quick work of the 3 rounds...

Live and learn...

Thanks...BCB

Walter Laich
09-26-2016, 06:43 PM
I know you are just trying a few but this is what I use
http://www.homedepot.com/s/foam%20backer%20rod?NCNI-5&gsitesearch

I cut them in pieces that are an 1/8 over the open space and push them lightly on top of the powder then seat and crimp bullet.

takes put the space fine and I've never found them after shooting

just saying...

BCB
09-26-2016, 07:35 PM
I know you are just trying a few but this is what I use
http://www.homedepot.com/s/foam%20backer%20rod?NCNI-5&gsitesearch

I cut them in pieces that are an 1/8 over the open space and push them lightly on top of the powder then seat and crimp bullet.

takes put the space fine and I've never found them after shooting

just saying...

That's interesting...

I have never heard of that, but it does seem to be a fairly simply method. Possibly easier to get the results than stuffing Dacron in the case...

Thanks...BCB

GrayTech
09-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Not sure I'd use tissue as filler in necked cases like that.
You can find dacron in almost any upholstered furniture, pillow or stuffed toy.
What bullet are you using in the 270?

BCB
09-27-2016, 07:01 AM
Not sure I'd use tissue as filler in necked cases like that.
You can find dacron in almost any upholstered furniture, pillow or stuffed toy.
What bullet are you using in the 270?

If you note post #18, I found some Dacron and immediately use it wrong!!! So, I will be pulling the boolits on the 3 I loaded...

I'm using the 280642 with 5744...

Good-luck...BCB

sharps4590
09-27-2016, 07:41 AM
I've used open cell foam filler for a couple decades now with excellent results. It's light, cut to proper length it easily slips past a bottleneck and fills the case from "powder to bullet base". Completely disintegrates upon firing and is cheap. With a case of appropriate size, sharpened at the mouth, in a battery drill you can cut a PILE of them in a few minutes. I first got onto it from Grahame Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle". Good pressure results from Kynoch, Birmingham proof house and Sheman Bell also.

bosterr
09-27-2016, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the offer—I’m a bit too far north of you though. At the Autumn Leaf Festival town where they are presently celebrating the Home Coming Week for my ol’ Alma Mater, small Clarion University…

Thanks…BCB
I happen to live in the Autumn Leaf Capital, just 3 blocks from Main Street and 4 blocks from the court house. I have some Dacron filler from an old bed comforter and I can give you some. I used it in 32-20 loads and WC 820 powder. I've since switched to AA 1680 which fills the case better and is more accurate.

cephas53
09-27-2016, 05:49 PM
In the Clarion area myself a few mile south. Use some 5744 in a 45/70. When researching a load I noticed the company advises not using any filler with 5744.
"The powder is virtually insensitive to powder position, and there is no need for “fillers”."
http://www.accuratepowder.com/faq/ Question #8.
However I do use a grain of dacron in the straight walled 45/70 case. A good read here on fillers: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers

45workhorse
09-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Have used the foam backer rod in 45-70. 10 to 16 grains of Unique (work up to higher charge), cut long enough for slight compression. Never could find a chunk bigger than a BB after firing, and no fire hazard. Minute of deer accuracy, out to hundred yards, did not work up anything past that.

mold maker
09-27-2016, 06:59 PM
I've never used a filler, but when camping, I used to save all dryer lint to start fires with. It easily took a spark and produced enough heat to start a fire.

Cowboy_Dan
09-27-2016, 11:25 PM

Thanks…BCB

If you ask your mom about it, call it quilt batting. That's probably what she always called it, or at least some variant of that.

44man
09-28-2016, 09:37 AM
I got mine at Jo-Annes fabric store. I use Garnetted polyester fiberfill. No thick strands, all are fine and even. Pull a wad the right size, no need to weigh, stuff in with a pencil eraser end. Let the boolit push it down so no air space. Just half a boolit push is enough.

AbitNutz
09-28-2016, 08:15 PM
In the Clarion area myself a few mile south. Use some 5744 in a 45/70. When researching a load I noticed the company advises not using any filler with 5744.
"The powder is virtually insensitive to powder position, and there is no need for “fillers”."
http://www.accuratepowder.com/faq/ Question #8.
However I do use a grain of dacron in the straight walled 45/70 case. A good read here on fillers: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers

I've read that too...and it says that filler is not needed...but it doesn't say you shouldn't use it. I've loaded 450 Nitro Express with 5744 and that case is so big I thought I had maracas, not cartridges. Filler was needed for my peace of mind.

When I was researching what to use as filler...I got the word from what I consider the very best source...Kynock. They sell a robe of "closed cell foam". You can find the same thing...It's called backer rod. It takes up space in a crack so you can caulk it, pour concrete or some other material over it. It's nothing exotic, just closed cell foam in a long rope form. I bought about a zillion feet for $25.00. I'll never run out of it. It has the wonderful attribute of being available in 1/2" diameter. You can cut a piece off with a pair of scissors. The 1/2" pushes right down in a case and re-expands to fill it...being closed cell, it won't absorb anything so you don't have any worries about letting a loaded round sit for a long time. Kynock was very specific about it being closed cell.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sika-3-4-in-Closed-Cell-Backer-Rod-108130/202523820

You can get much larger amounts for less online....this will give you an idea what I'm talking about. It comes in 1/4", 1/2", 3/4"...etc.

jonp
09-28-2016, 08:25 PM
Can a small piece of Kleenex tissue be used to hold the powder charge against the primer?...

Can't seem to locate any Dacron without driving some distance...

Thanks...BCB
No walmart or discount stores selling cheap pillows near you? There is a dollar general or something about everywhere