PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red + Glock + ultrasonic cleaner: recommended?

salfter
09-26-2016, 12:22 AM
A while back, my Ruger Mark II was misbehaving. It had gotten dirty enough that ammo wouldn't reliably feed or extract. I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner off of eBay, mixed up 3 quarts of Ed's Red (minus the acetone), field-stripped the gun, and gave it a half-hour in the cleaner. Afterward, I wiped it down, reassembled it, and put it away until the next trip to the range, at which it ran like a champ.

As a precaution, I removed the plastic grip panels. Without the acetone, I suspect that Ed's Red ought to be plastic-safe, but this was my first go-round with ultrasonic cleaning and I wanted to play it safe. (Protip: the fluid warms up quite a bit and throws off fumes while the cleaner runs, so do this outside.)

Now, though, I'd like to give my Glock 23 a bath. Other than the Lone Wolf barrel, it's 100% stock. Am I asking for dissolved sights or a deformed frame if I put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with Ed's Red, or should they hold up OK? I'm guessing that field-stripping would be sufficient, as you wouldn't ordinarily break it down any further for other cleaning methods.

(Why Ed's Red? It's much cheaper than the purpose-made ultrasonic gun-cleaning solutions, I can buy the ingredients anywhere, and it's a water-free formula that shouldn't promote rust. I know that acetone attacks most plastics, though, which is why I left it out; I'm using equal parts low-odor mineral spirits, kerosene, and transmission fluid. Are any of these, alone or in combination, likely to damage a polymer handgun frame?)

Boolit_Head
09-26-2016, 12:25 AM
Stock sights are plastic. I would not put the slide in the solution for any length of time.

300blk
09-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Acetone should not have any real effect on glass filled nylon of the Glock frame, I was thinking the sights are made of the same, but can't be sure. (The stock sights are always the first thing to get changed on mine!)

Ive used acetone as a degreaser multiple times before cerakoting Glocks.
Nary a problem.
I would actually be more concerned with water vs nylon.
Hope this helps.

Outpost75
09-26-2016, 06:11 PM
If you mix your Ed's Red WITHOUT the acetone, you can use it in an ultrasonic cleaner with no worries. When mixing ER for indoor shop use if you don't have forced air ventilation, you should also leave out the acetone to reduce VOC emissions.