PDA

View Full Version : s & w 460 v

jetsfan-24
09-25-2016, 08:11 PM
hey I just got a s& w 460 v with a 5 inch barrel anybody got one and how do u like it ?

44man
09-27-2016, 10:25 AM
The huge long case needs a longer barrel. You have a glorified .45 Colt. Huge ball of fire out front and recoil, not much for power. You might not match a .454 with a barrel. 5" for a .460, insane.

Blackwater
09-27-2016, 02:34 PM
My son has one with, IIRC, 10" barrel. He bought it on a lark really, at a DU fund raiser, mostly because he was just curious enough to make a bid, and surprisingly, wound up with it. He found a couple of rattlesnakes mating in the field behind the old home place, and had that one with him because it was the closest one at hand. He cut the first snake's head clean off with the first shot, and then missed with the next 4 on the other snake. I believe it was the muzzle blast that got to him, because he's one of the better pistol shots I know. I do't even want to be around his longer barreled one when it goes off, and I really wouldn't want to be around your shorter barreled one! But then, I already have tinnitus and do NOT want it getting any worse, so .... I'm more sensitive to it than you probably are ..... so far.

One tip. I recently bought a new set of ear muffs from Bass Pro. They were labeled made by Walker, and were rated at 34 db of hearing protection. I can put them on and our TV is totally silent. I'm not sure if they are the same folks who make the Walker Game Ear hearing aids, but they have proven so far to be the most effective and impressive ear muffs I've ever worn. Never seen any above 31 db rating, I believe. And it's amazing how much those extra 3 db really have! I used to scoff at hearing protection. That's got me where I am today. You might save yourself some aggrevation with a set of those Walkers? Time always marches on, and the effects of noise on our ears is cumulative. Try not to "load your wagon" with that very nice and very interesting gun. I wish I could play with one, but I'm getting used to denying myself more and more stuff as the years go by, and those cumulations pile up on me. Not fun, but as the old saying goes, "Too soon old, too late wise." That pretty well describes me to a T.

Earlwb
09-29-2016, 04:32 PM
I like the .460 S&W more than the .50 S&W.I think it is more versatile than the .500. You can shoot .454's, and .45 Colts in it. I think that there are even some birdshot cartridges one can get too. But I think one needs a 7.5 inch barrel with it at the least. But since they make a snub nosed monster revolver in the .460 and .500 calibers, maybe I am missing something. Maybe they work better than one might think.

I remember someone shooting the .500 at a gun range and it shook the snow off the roof of the ramada. it caused mini avalanches.

Although they both make for excellent self defense cartridges. Heaven forbid you actually need to use it. You likely do not have time for ear protection and firing them off outside would definitely mess up one's hearing. Firing it off inside would likely rupture the eardrums. That would apply to big game or the two legged kind.

clum553946
10-05-2016, 03:58 PM
I have one with the 10" barrel. Bought it just to have it & I also agree that it's more versatile than the 500 with very little sacrifice in power. As far as shooting the beast with full power loads, I'm good for about 20 rounds, but you sure get everyone's attention on the range lol! It's a pussycat with 45 Colt loads & if you want your full house 44 Mag to feel like a 38 Special, just fire a cylinder full in the 460 first!

too many things
10-05-2016, 06:37 PM
you can load it from max 460 to less than a 45 acp. don't ever shoot without ear plugs . I have lost about 30% in rt ear from 2 shots at a deer.
45 scholfied makes a good light load . about like a 22