PDA

View Full Version : Lyman lube die O ring

singleshotbuff
06-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Gentlemen,

I bought a used .311" Lyman sizer die cheap, but it has no rubber O ring on it.

So I went to the local Lowes store, to the plumbing department, and bought some O rings that fit the o.d. of the die snug.

Trouble is, the O rings are too thick to allow the die to go into the Lyman 45 lube/sizer.

Anyone know where I can get the proper thickness O ring?

Thanks

SSB

andremajic
06-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I know that you probably don't want to, but perhaps there is another sizing die that is in your current inventory that you don't use that much? Unless I'm mistaken, all the dies in all your lyman bullet sizers should be the same circumference, so it would be as simple as pulling one of your old ones off of a die you don't use that much and popping it on your new purchase.

Or you could order one from lymans. I'm sure the postage wouldn't be much. They might even send it to you free, like rcbs does!

Andy.

imashooter2
06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
9/16 x 11/16 x 1/16
O ring size #35

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3166

AZ-Stew
06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Take an o-ring from one of your other H&I sets to your local hydraulic parts supply house. If that doesn't produce results, take Andy's advice and call Lyman.

Regards,

Stew

singleshotbuff
06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I do have a die that i never use. Never thought to rob Peter to pay Paul.

SSB

Stove_Pipe
06-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I do have a die that i never use. Never thought to rob Peter to pay Paul.

SSB

Not "robbing", just "barrowing" from Pete for a while.

:mrgreen:

454PB
06-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Did you try using the die without the O-ring?

I make all my own Lyman type dies, and I don't even machine the O-ring groove. It's not needed if the diameter is a good fit to the ID of securing top nut.

singleshotbuff
06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Ok, I must be a dumba$$....

Went to snag the O ring off another die for use on the .311" die. I noticed that the .311" only had a large groove near the top, where the other dies in the stable all had this same groove BELOW the O ring. Apparently the O ring doesn't fit into this groove (but the set screw on my Lyman 45 does). So my .311" die has no groove for an O ring.

So, are there 2 types of Lyman lube dies? One without an O ring?? Or am I missing something?

Wow.

SSB

Calamity Jake
06-05-2008, 08:43 AM
The OOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDD style lyman H&I dies did not have an "O" ring groove just a shallow groove for the set screw, and I thiink that is what you have, If that is the case then I bet that there is no leadin bevel at the top of the die and will shave lead off of the boolet on one side or another, this is a bad thing.

The bevel on the newer dies allows for a straighter start into the die and no lead shaving of the sides of the boolet. If your die has no bevel then I would find a way to put one on it.
The bevel needs to be about 2-3° by 1/8-3/16 long.

imashooter2
06-05-2008, 11:12 AM

SSB

Taking the dies in and out destroys the o rings in short order. You're going to need replacements anyway.

cobbmtmac
06-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Call Lyman @ 800-225-9626, Then press 3. I did this and like RCBS, Lyman sent them to me free, plus they paid the postage. You can't beat these two companies customer service. :Fire:

sturf
06-05-2008, 12:11 PM
I have seen somewhere that NAPA has them.

PatMarlin
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
382 piece O ring set at Harbor Freight... $6.99

Good thing to have around the homestead:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2901

singleshotbuff
06-05-2008, 03:07 PM
The OOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDD style lyman H&I dies did not have an "O" ring groove just a shallow groove for the set screw, and I thiink that is what you have, If that is the case then I bet that there is no leadin bevel at the top of the die and will shave lead off of the boolet on one side or another, this is a bad thing.

The bevel on the newer dies allows for a straighter start into the die and no lead shaving of the sides of the boolet. If your die has no bevel then I would find a way to put one on it.
The bevel needs to be about 2-3° by 1/8-3/16 long.

Thanks for the info. This die DOES have a lead in bevel. I put it in the press last night and tried it. No problems at all, no lead shaving and no lube leakage.

Thanks for all the help gents.

SSB