PDA

View Full Version : Armor plate that Chrony

beagle
10-29-2005, 09:29 PM
For the unbeleivers here that don't think gas checks come off in flight, I submit the attached photo of my old chrony 1/8" thick lexan armor plate.

From the size of the hits, it took two .22s, two .25s and two "big somthings".

Finally, it got difficult to see the display so I replaced it.

It has miscellaneous dings before I armored it so this is all recent.

Despite all of this, last time I tested it, it was within 3 FPS of an Ohler./beagle

Trailblazer
10-30-2005, 11:23 AM
I have had three gas check strikes on my Chrony. I am getting nervous about using it again with cast bullets. It looks like the Lexan should be thicker. How did you attach the Lexan?

drinks
10-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I formed the Lexan with a heat gun into an "L" shape, then drilled for a pair of sheet metal screws and put smaller holes in the eyebrow over the display.
To give more strength, I laminated a second layer of 1/8" on the vertical part so I have 1/4" thickness now.
A small piece of Lexan is cheap at Home Depot, find them in the window section.
The smallest piece will make 3 or 4 shields.

beagle
10-30-2005, 05:23 PM
I used an aluminum L bracket to hold it in place. 1/4" Lexan would be better but you don't have much room to play with./beagle

I have had three gas check strikes on my Chrony. I am getting nervous about using it again with cast bullets. It looks like the Lexan should be thicker. How did you attach the Lexan?

Blackwater
10-30-2005, 10:28 PM
You guys aren't getting any sympathy from ME! Nosireebob! Lost the sky screens for my original Chrony several years ago, and it wouldn't read unless the bullet passed very close over the top of the "eyes." Being confident ("Why HECK! I can shoot teeny tiny groups, can't I?"), and needing to test some loads for a Contender 7 JDJ I had a the time, I set up to do just that - shoot the bullets low over the "eyes." Say "Duh!" real loud if you can't guess what happened next! Yup! a 7mm. hole right through the HEART of that nice, gentle, ennocent little Chrony. Have it burried where nobody can find the body, so don't tell anyone, O.K.? Besides, it's TERRIBLY embarassing! Thanks for any discretion you can muster up. Thanks PROFUSELY!

Lee
10-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Hit one of the sunscreen metal rods last year, with a .480 Ruger. Same theory, "I can shoot teeny groups"
It's still going, or it's buried somewhere in the back yard. Until I make an iron sled for my Chrony, I don't take ANY chances on my sharpshootin' prowess anymore!...........................Lee :wink:

Ed Barrett
10-31-2005, 12:34 AM
My Chrony has the seperate readout so you can keep it on the bench. I was checking out some IMR 5010 loads and they peppered the metal front enough at 10 feet to imbed in the metal and the tripod. I am starting to get some good groups with 5010 with a Turk powder kicker.

Fireball 57
10-31-2005, 10:05 PM
I thought I was the only one that blasted my chrony :holysheep in front of everyone on the firing line. :oops: Yessir; I put a 30 caliber 220 grain cast boo-lit right through my skyscreen sensor on the first shot. The roar from the "peanut gallery" was undeniable as my "drawers hung around my ankles". My Leo was showing the crosshairs on the hundred yard line but the barrel, as I learned instantly, was a bit SOUTH of the BOARDER. Even my wife, and the dog, were not sympathetic! :confused: