PDA

View Full Version : Lee Liquid Alox question

copdills
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
when you tumble lube boolits with liquid alox do you have to shoot then right away or can they be stored away loaded and ready to shoot , and if they can be loaded and stored away what is the shelve life expected, I have heard about lubes getting hard and brittle because of age and thus causing leading in the barrel

Thanks

randyrat
06-04-2008, 06:17 PM
From my experience coat and store for a very long time. I have had no cracking or any problems. I think it protects the lead from any oxidation also.

Sprue
06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
After I tumble them I let them dry for 24 hrs or so before I load and shoot'em up. I also have loaded, tumble lubed ammo thats been stored for about 4 yrs now. I fired some recently with no issues.

I tend to think along the same lines of Mr. Randyrat above.

randyrat
06-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Actually you can stick you finger in the stuff and it will still smell like you stuck it in a place you shouldn't have for a long while. Don't ask.....Just soap won't take it off, i was dang near banned from the house once till i learned not to stick my fingers where they shouldn't be. First time i used the stuff, i had it every where on my hands. I figured soap and a good scrubin would take it off,,, NOPE.....So i know well it will stick to your bullets for a long while.

Ricochet
06-04-2008, 10:21 PM
The original purpose of Alox 606-55, which is what LLA is, is a protective anticorrosive metal coating. (As in undercoating, etc.) Copied straight off their site, it's "Hard film, high melt point, calcium soap, long-term outdoor protection." I don't think you need to worry about it flaking off of your boolits. You probably will encounter some sticking together in clumps. They pull apart easily enough.

Randyrat, Fast Orange Hand Cleaner takes LLA right off.

454PB
06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Not only that, I think it smells good!

Lead melter
06-05-2008, 08:47 AM
I'll go along with 454 in the "smells good" camp. I use it as a cologne from time to time. Can't figure out those folks from Wisconsin.:twisted:

James C. Snodgrass
06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
I,m sorry but lead melter and 454 are in need of some nose repair ! I hope they can save enough money shootin' cast to pay for the nose work. [smilie=1:

snuffy
06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Heck, I think it smells like fun! To me, shootin is fun, when lubed with LLA, the smell reminds I'm havin fun!:mrgreen:

All kidding aside, I really don't mind the smell. Besides, what could be easier? And IT WORKS.

I certainly would NOT be worried about it failing after even years of storage.

Ricochet
06-05-2008, 12:54 PM
LLA really smells good when you shoot it. Reminds me of Crayola crayons. A new box of those was a treat to open and sniff.

andremajic
06-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Actually you can stick you finger in the stuff and it will still smell like you stuck it in a place you shouldn't have for a long while. Don't ask.....Just soap won't take it off, i was dang near banned from the house once till i learned not to stick my fingers where they shouldn't be.

Must....resist...joke....urge.....giggitty giggity...

jhalcott
06-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Plus 1 for Andre!

S.R.Custom
06-05-2008, 05:43 PM
I've loaded and shot bullets I've tumble lubed and let sit around for 10 years. The older (and harder) it gets, the better it works. ;)

randyrat
06-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I'll go along with 454 in the "smells good" camp. I use it as a cologne from time to time. Can't figure out those folks from Wisconsin.:twisted: I used to think them people from North Carolina were the greatest now i'm not sure. They do have some dang good BBQs though...Mark i may end up your doorstep someday anyway.

wiljen
06-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Speaking as a guy who once inadvertently bathed in LA, while fast orange or Thinner will take it off your hands, almost nothing removes it from a concrete floor, metal posts, or clothing. I still have spots of it in the garage from the great LA Group buy that have been scraped with a putty knife, run over with a car, soaked in mineral spirits and then scraped and run over some more. Oh, and on the cologne list I rate it 3rd behinds Hoppe's #9 and Thompson's Wintergreen Muzzleloader cleaner.

Ricochet
06-05-2008, 08:48 PM
I used to think them people from North Carolina were the greatest now i'm not sure. They do have some dang good BBQs though...Mark i may end up your doorstep someday anyway.
You don't suppose LLA ever finds its way into BBQ sauce?
[smilie=1:

skeptic
06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
FWIW I think it smells good to.

When I get ready to head to the range I throw a handful in a sock and give it a shot of carb clean, roll around for a few seconds and the bullets are clean. Keeps my feedramp clean to.

DLCTEX
06-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I like the smell of Ed's Red made with turpentine, my wife can't stand it though. DALE

Fish_N_Russ
06-07-2008, 03:27 AM
you can add a little mica powder to your dried LLA bullets and they wont stick together :)

Tom W.
06-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I've got some cast 30-30 boolits that I loaded up for my wife to shoot before we knew about her Degenerative disc and joint disease. They must be at least 10 years old or older and still look ( and shoot) as well as when I first loaded them...

Wife can't stand the smell, but I seem to enjoy it... I think it has something to do about when I lived in Upstate N.Y., near Woodstock and my misspent last two years in High School.....

copdills
06-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks Pards for all the information , I believe I can Load some now and not have to worry about the lube getting old , the longest I keep bullets are about 5-6 years and I make sure I shoot them and rotate the supply

Thanks again copdills