PDA

View Full Version : The revised Remington R51

gpidaho
09-24-2016, 11:39 AM
This last week I purchased the new and hopefully improved version of the 9mm +P R51. The gun fits my hand perfectly and in that respect feels larger than it actually is. I test fired it at the LGS where purchased and have had it to the range once since. My first impression is positive. On disassembly for new gun cleaning and the taking of vital measurements here's what I found. Remington could not of made disassembly and reassembly more of a PITA if they tried (LOL) I'll get used to it. The normal plunk test isn't the same with the Pedersen design as with most pistols. Using the barrel as a cartridge gauge and the depth measuring end of calipers I took the measurement of how far a factory round protruded with the round headspaced on the mouth (.115 on mine) and the bore slugged a bit under .356. I loaded twenty rounds each of the 124 & 125gr Lee RN and twenty of the Lee 120gr.TC's. With these and a box or Magtech 124gr. HP's headed to the range. I'm glad I took the handloads on the first range trip as the pistol didn't like the Magtech HP's and I had three failure to feed stoppages in twenty rounds. Happily all sixty hand loads fed without a hitch. Regardless of the Pedersen delayed blowback design the gun has some mussel flip with +P rounds as should be expected of a pistol weighing 22oz. Mine shot well centered groups about 2 or three inches low to poit of aim. I'll move the charges around a couple of tenths and see if it helps All the rest of the 9's in the family like their boolits sized .358 but that's too snug a fit in the chamber of this R51. I'll need to carefully mark the boxes of .356 rounds and will likely use a dedicated color of powder coating for the 356's. Hopefully the little pocket pistol holds up for the long run as it's fun to shoot and easily carries in the pocket and I must have a five gallon bucket of nine brass. Best to all. Gp

gpidaho
09-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Second time out today with the new R51. Range was packed being a Sunday so I had to settle for a backroad hillside. Function test only. The R51 fed both the Lee 356-125-2R and the Lee 356-120-TC flawlessly. These were loaded over 4.3gr. WSF. I fired 2 mags. 7 shots, load and seven more as fast as I could pull the trigger and these too fed perfectly. Time to do some accuracy tests mid-week when the range clears out a bit. I'm liking this small pistol so far, it feels really good in the hand. Gp

Groo
09-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Groo here
How is the trigger?
I have hoped this gun would work out.
Now for the 45/10mm version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gpidaho
09-26-2016, 01:52 PM
Groo: Thanks for your interest in the R51. The trigger breaks clean and is much better than most small auto, not heavy at all. I almost bought one of the earlier versions and am glad I waited. It's so early in my testing that a functioning load is as far as it's gone. I've loaded up 200 rounds and will run them all next time out to the range. That should show me a couple more things about this pistol. And yes, if this one works out I hope they add the larger calibers. Gp

gpidaho
09-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Had my new R51 to the range today with over 150 rounds of my handloads fired with only one failure to feed the first round when I failed to seat the magazine to the locked position. I'm impressed with this compact pistol. I think they've got this second version sorted out. Works great for me so far. Gp

JeffG
09-29-2016, 12:13 AM
SOunding really good! I finally saw one in the flesh a couple weeks ago, it felt really nice in the hand.

gpidaho
09-29-2016, 12:38 AM
JeffG; Yes, they do fit my hand very well too. Here's some Chrono numbers from last range trip. All rounds sized .356, powder coated, seated to an over all length of 1.100 to 1.105 and over 4.3gr WSF Lee 356-125-2R AV.985 fps Sd 22. Lee 356-124-R Av 963 Sd 18 Lee 356-120-TC Av 982 Sd 11 Magtech 124gr. HP +P Av 1109 Sd 16. Looking at the Lyman 4th addition my loads are at the fps of the starting loads with powders listed. No balking or stovepiped rounds with start 9X19 loads so lots of room to work with this one. Thanks for your interest. Gp

JeffG
09-29-2016, 11:03 PM
You are welcome. Gun show in my neck of the woods soon so one might come home with me.

JeffG; Yes, they do fit my hand very well too. Here's some Chrono numbers from last range trip. All rounds sized .356, powder coated, seated to an over all length of 1.100 to 1.105 and over 4.3gr WSF Lee 356-125-2R AV.985 fps Sd 22. Lee 356-124-R Av 963 Sd 18 Lee 356-120-TC Av 982 Sd 11 Magtech 124gr. HP +P Av 1109 Sd 16. Looking at the Lyman 4th addition my loads are at the fps of the starting loads with powders listed. No balking or stovepiped rounds with start 9X19 loads so lots of room to work with this one. Thanks for your interest. Gp

Petrol & Powder
09-30-2016, 01:24 AM
I handled one a few weeks ago and gave some input here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?314921-Remington-R51-First-test/page2

I like the concept and the overall design. There are a few details I wish they had executed differently but it looks like a good pistol.

Texas by God
10-25-2016, 11:39 PM
I handled one at Academy today. I like it. I didn't get them to remove the trigger lock so I can't speak for the trigger pull. The slide racked easily. I would prefer a thumb safety if it has a single action trigger. It points very well. I'll let others test it like I did the S&W Shield(I have a 9 & a .40) Best, Thomas.