PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on dog wheelchair

bikerbeans
09-24-2016, 08:29 AM
My daughter left last month for her first year of college. This makes me the caretaker for Ziggy, her 8 year old beagle/coon hound. This is not a chore, he is a great dog, everything was great until Thursday. Not sure how, he was inside, but he damaged his spine and is virtually paralyzed in the rear. Prognosis is bad, if he lives he will need a dog wheelchair, a set of wheels to support him and allow mobility. I would like to hear from anyone who has had a dog that has used one of these devices.

BB

Blackwater
09-24-2016, 08:45 AM
I haven't and have only seen a very few on TV or somewhere, but I'd think that a good handyman could rig something up with padding, just to fit your particular dog and be as secure and comfortable as possible. I'm thinking something with a strap and harness in front, to keep from pulling out of it, but kept loose enough to give her freedom of motion, and a 2-wheel back end of the right size to keep her leveled out well, would do the job pretty good.

I really feel for your predicament and the dog's misfortune. Beagles are famous for their great attitudes, and I have at least a sense that it means more to you than it does to her. Dogs just have an amazing ability to bear disabilities, and I think it's mostly due to their outlook and attitude. They have wants and desires, and whatever exists as "problems" for us are just things to be worked around to them, often. Beagles are really one of our special breeds. It's good to see someone willing to provide for her acquired disability, and keep her happy and going. It's a real inspiration. Too many today look at a dog as a charm bracelet, and when the shine comes off, they just throw it away. We owe these furry friends SO much more than that, but we live in a very haughty world these days. Good on ya' for taking care of her!

Wise Owl
09-24-2016, 09:36 AM
We had one for our Malamute, Luka. She buzzed around in it for quite a while till she died from causes other than her back. Make sure you get a good one that is padded up and secure on him. I don't remember the name of the company but they were located in Massachusetts. Great people and sometimes they have used ones you can buy. It sure helped Luka. Wasn't that expensive either but was made for dogs by people who knew what they were doing. Lot's of pics of the dogs they helped.

Julie

HarryT
09-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Will Ziggy be able to "go to the bathroom" by himself?

Ballistics in Scotland
09-24-2016, 10:02 AM
You should get hold of the second "Babe" movie, "Babe: Pig in the City", which might make both you and your daughter feel more optimistic about the situation. In it a small dog, a Jack Russell I believe, is fitted up in just such a way, and remains bright, active and happy. I don't suppose they put a healthy dog in a device like that, so they probably found one that really wore it on a day to day basis.

Dogs have feelings much closer to ours than their intellect is, possibly closer than monkeys. They can be acutely conscious to humiliation in some ways - like my cairn terrier which my mother decided to trim, and which through evening up the sides ended up like a pumice stone, tapered from hips to nose, with my usually bullied collie obviously full of glee. It doesn't seem to work out that way with injury though. I've known a couple of dogs which didn't care about amputated forelegs, and weren't much slowed down by them. Even a dog whose days are obviously numbered doesn't know and become depressed by it as a human would. There is every chance that Ziggy will do well with the apparatus you describe.

I also knew someone with a lurcher - part greyhound and part something else, in this case something hairy - which was found unconscious and paralysed after apparently chasing something into a deep hollow. The vets had little hope of improvement, and it took a long time, but she ended up capable of running around, about up to boxer standard, which was enough to keep her happy. I'd want to know they had found pretty concrete proof before assuming a dog couldn't recover mobility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe:_Pig_in_the_City

9w1911
09-24-2016, 12:44 PM
oh no poor guy!!!
yes I have seen many happy dogs in wheel chairs.

bikerbeans
09-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Will Ziggy be able to "go to the bathroom" by himself?

He can go right now with me supporting him with a sling.

BB

HarryT
09-24-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm glad to hear that. I had a dog with a spinal injury that had to be "helped" with waste elimination. Best of luck, you are a wonderful pet owner.

salpal48
09-24-2016, 04:51 PM
I had a large Shepard . with The same Rear Problem. There is a Guy In Mass, who build custom wheelchairs for Pets. . since his front Legs were Fine It works Out well. . I was forced to Build a ramp to go Outside. . worked out well in the House as well. with help around the furniture. My guy was able to survive another 2 Years before the Front legs went. I traveled to Mass from NY to have it built
His web site: HandicappedPets.Com
Sal

Boaz
09-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Did the vet recommend seeing someone capable of operating if it was feasible ? We had a weinie Dog that did the same thing 'TWICE" ! Don't ask what it cost but took her to the university in Stillwater OK (vet school) . She recovered both times being operated on with a lot of hands on therapy from us . Lived a good life and died at 17 years old .

Mohavedog
09-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Our wonderful Jack Russell "Danny" lived to age 16 the last 3 yrs of which he was paralyzed in his back legs. He had herniated disks in his back diagnosed 3 or 4 yrs earlier and he got progressively worse as time went by. My wife and I wanted to do as much as we could for him as he was the best little trooper you would ever find. We got wheels for him from Eddies Wheels 140 State St., Shelburne, Ma. 01370. 888-211-2700. They have a website with lots of pics. Contact them and they can fix you right up and they are very nice to deal with.

Multigunner
09-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Our Bulgarian herd dog was bitten by a spider, which he immediately killed, then apparently had a stroke brought on by the venom. he lost control of his hind legs and couldn't get to his feet.

The spider was badly smashed but near as I could tell was a mock black widow, identical to the black widow except the hour glass marking is white instead of red, a south American spider sometimes hiding in bunches of bananas. Normally not deadly to humans but with a very painful venom.

I began immediately to help the dog get to his feet. he was an extremely heavy dog, well over 130 lbs at the time, possibly 150-160 lb.
I took a large beach towel and folding it long ways I ran it under his belly then rolled the ends into a handle. I pulled him up like lifting a suitcase, he had use of his front legs so it wasn't as difficult as it sounds.
I'd walk him around like this several times a day, taking him outside to do his business.

Later when he could walk by himself he still couldn't climb the back steps so I'd get behind him and raise one hind paw at a time onto each step.
It took several weeks but he regained full mobility and lived several more years.

I didn't have to build him a wheeled cart but gave it some thought. I had an old lawn mower with the large diameter rear wheels that looked perfect for the job.
The wheels shouldn't be set too far back as that would cause stress on the spine, or too far forward as that would reduce traction of the front paws.

Handloader109
09-24-2016, 06:03 PM
I had a dashound mix a long while back that had spine injury. We tried for a while, but ultimately put him down when he didn't recover bladder. I hate to say it, but I'd probably put mine down in same situation. I love my dogs but pain is pain.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-24-2016, 06:05 PM
We have heard quite a bit about accidental injuries, not to mention a spider doing it on purpose. But it is a great pity a number of breeds have become very prone to hip dysplasia, generally due to breeding for other qualities.

Wise Owl
09-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Our wonderful Jack Russell "Danny" lived to age 16 the last 3 yrs of which he was paralyzed in his back legs. He had herniated disks in his back diagnosed 3 or 4 yrs earlier and he got progressively worse as time went by. My wife and I wanted to do as much as we could for him as he was the best little trooper you would ever find. We got wheels for him from Eddies Wheels 140 State St., Shelburne, Ma. 01370. 888-211-2700. They have a website with lots of pics. Contact them and they can fix you right up and they are very nice to deal with.

Eddie's Wheels is where we got Luka her wheels.......! I nicknamed her Hot rod Hannah.........she was fast in that thing till she got really sick with the cancer. But, the wheelie sure gave her the help she needed for about 18 months.

http://eddieswheels.com/

Multigunner
09-25-2016, 12:58 AM
PS to my previous post.
I did some searching and found that the spider that bit my dog was probably a real black widow rather than a mock black widow,
I always heard that the hour glass marking on the BW was red, no mention of other colors, but now I find that the hourglass can be white or yellow rather than red.
If that's what it was its no wonder he was partly paralyzed since the BW venom is a neuro toxin and the spider bit him on the nose while he was asleep, giving him a rude awakening.
If not for his massive size the bite would most likely have been fatal.

BrassMagnet
09-25-2016, 08:16 AM
This doggie has been disabled for a long time, but the owner says this doggie doesn't know it. Just runs around with the rest!

bikerbeans
09-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Taking zig to the vet tomorrow morning then it is decision time regarding surgery or stay with the drug therapy. He is not in pain and is in very good spirits so I think he has the temperament to withstand either the surgery and/or recovery.

BB

richhodg66
09-25-2016, 10:06 AM
I don't have anything to add except that it does my heart good to see so many guys so empathetic to animals.

We have a SHihtzu now that is the longest pet we've had except for one cat who lived past 17. He has his share of problems, but still gets around OK. I doubt I'd do something like this now because of his age, but for an eight year old dog, I'd have to try it.

fiberoptik
09-26-2016, 12:55 AM
Got me a 21 year old white cat we took in. He's deaf now, but still going strong. Not looking forward to that day. Closer to him than my wife. (Don't tell her that) 19 years with him, 31 with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerbeans
09-27-2016, 06:23 AM
Zig is a little better, he can stand unsupported for a few seconds. He is in good spirits so we are going to continue the drug therapy and give him time to improve. No surgery or training wheels right now.

I appreciate all the information and good words from everyone. I was at my LGS yesterday and turns out that Bill, the owner, has had two dogs that needed wheel chairs and the fellow picking up a S&W Governor had just ordered a chair for his Golden. Small world.

BB

9w1911
09-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Great news!!