PDA

View Full Version : Reversible stroke

AbitNutz
09-24-2016, 05:03 AM
I'm in the process of mounting my Pacific Super Mag press , the one with 3-rams and linkage that mounts at the top like a Redding Ultra Mag. I'm going to mount it upside down so I can use it more easily to size hard cast, Hi-Tek coated bullets using Lee sizing dies. However, I was concerned that moving the handle up, instead of down, was going to be a real pain.

I was looking at some old manuals online about the Super Mag and It turns out this press is reversible.

According to the user's manual, you can reverse the toggle and convert the press from the handle operating it on the upstroke to operating it on the downstroke. So mounting it upside down and then reversing the toggle, I can have a downstroke operated, upside down press...it's freakin' magic! So ultimately, I'll just drop in three bullets, one in each of the three Lee dies and push down on the handle to pop out three sized bullets.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Pacific Super Mag, I encourage you to google it. It's a pretty unique piece. It's extremely strong, being made out of ductile iron and high mounted linkage.

OS OK
09-24-2016, 08:45 AM
Ok...I'll bite, thats a stout single stage press...I'm loosing you when you say (I'll just drop in three bullets, one in each of the three Lee dies and push down on the handle to pop out three sized bullets) how do you do that with a single stroke?

jmorris
09-24-2016, 09:36 AM
He did tell you to google the press...;)

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/9/8/pacific-hornady-sm-12-3-stage-super-mag-reloading-press-no-dies-reloader-e59fb0387151a391d9383f032eb5bfaf.jpg

runfiverun
09-24-2016, 10:47 AM
you could also prime on either the left or right side.
most just left the small primer arm on one end and the large on the other.
the idea was a pretty good one at the time you just screwed your 3 die set into the press and worked the case from one side to the other to make a complete round, instead of batch processing everything.

OS OK
09-24-2016, 10:58 AM

I did Google, only this is what I came up with...guess I 'Googled it up' instead! ...:bigsmyl2: ...

mdi
09-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Pacific Super Mag press is the predecessor of the CH4D model 444...

AbitNutz
09-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Pacific Super Mag press is the predecessor of the CH4D model 444...

I'm not sure I agree with that. I have a CH 444 and the Super Mag is really very different....it's more like three Redding Ultra Mags welded together....top mounted linkage with three separate rams.

mdi
09-26-2016, 11:11 AM
I guess I was trying to relate a current production press to a very similar press (H style, multi ram press). Just a comment, and although I want a 444, I don't have either presses mentioned so it's a FWIW post.

AbitNutz
09-26-2016, 03:12 PM
The 444 is a neat little press. It doesn't do rifle calibers well but it is very nicely made and very compact. It has one draw back that can drive you batchit. You need 4 shell holders...at $8 a piece (or so) multiplied by the number of different calibers you may need...uhm, er...lemme take off at least one shoe. Anyway, it can run into more money in shell holds than you can believe. However, once you amass the requisite number of shell holders, you'll have them overflowing in all kinds of places. They seem to multiply on their own but those tend not to fit anything you need.

I have too many presses. I like presses. I like unique presses. They all have some wonderful feature that as a person enamoured with mechanical devices and the shooting sport, I just can't resist.

I would sacrifice a distant relative for a Holywood Senior Turret...ok, ok, a close relative.

tstowater
09-26-2016, 04:19 PM
I saw one of these Pacific Super Mag presses last week. It was sitting on a friend's floor with a whole lot of other stuff waiting for the guy to get his loading room set up. Neat looking press that is going to take a whole lot of shell holders. Built like a tank.

AbitNutz
09-26-2016, 09:49 PM
It's a wicked strong press. When you start looking at how the linkage works, it's really cool. The linkage attaches at the top, not the bottom. This gives it stupid strong leverage...just like the Redding Ultra Mag. It also has an open front for really great access. The three rams are an effort to get away from just a single stage. It's interesting that it has enough leverage and strength that you can resize 3 rifle cases at once. I tried it with 308 cartridges and it actually works. You can decap and resize 3 rifle cases at the same time. It does speed things up..

This is the only press I've ever seen where you can flip the toggle around and change the direction for operating the press. Flip it one way and you raise the lever to run the rams up. Flip it the other way and you push down the lever to raise the rams. It's extremely cool.

I'm going to mount the press upside down so I flipped the toggle around and even though the press is upside down, I push down on the handle to raise the rams...This will let me drop Hi-Tek coated bullets into the upside down 3 Lee dies, push down on the lever and the rams will run into the dies and push out 3-sized coated bullets.

jmorris
09-27-2016, 11:01 PM
You could always get less valuable press, only buy a single die and still out produce it with less work,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

AbitNutz
09-28-2016, 08:29 PM
What are you, competing with Hornady? LOL That press may be cheaper than my Super Mag but that gizmo-ware must cost more than a farthing...Very cool setup. I wish I shot enough to justify all the automated equipment you have. Me? My legs stretch to the manual XL650 and GSI bullet feeder, Master Caster and my Pacific Super mag sizer. Although I do have an air powered Star lubrisizer with bullet feeder. However, I'm really switching completely over to Hi-Tek coated bullets so that will get limited use. Pity, it worked so well.

seagiant
09-28-2016, 08:35 PM
Hi,
I'm going to stick my neck out and say.....

Richard Lee never had that in mind when he made that press!!!

AbitNutz
09-29-2016, 12:29 AM
Let's face it, jmorris could automate a brick...and I would still be envious. Turn him loose at GM and that self driving car would be a reality.