PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman PC gun on the way.

Desertbuck
09-23-2016, 12:58 PM
Well I've been doing the shake and bake method for a while now it's time-consuming and tedious. Especially when you're trying to stand up 30 cal and 22 cal boolits and not knock any of them over in the process not to mention removing them from the airsoft BB's even if you dump them out in a pie pan to make it easier. Well I just ordered a Craftsman PC gun off of fleabay yesterday the price is going up by the way $69.95 shipped. I know the Craftsman powder coating gun has got a bad rap. But space will not allow me to buy the Harbor Freight model or any air compressor type powder coating gun.
Hopefully I got a good one. Went and found some finish washers that will hold the gas check shank perfectly on my 30 cals. Still looking for 22 sized washers that will do the job as well. I'm kind of excited :-) From what I see it will be a faster method and a little messer but I'll adapt. And if I get a good Craftsman powder coating gun I'm confident that it'll last me a while I have a habit (OCD) of taking extra care of my equipment.

I do have some questions though. I've been using Harbor Freight red but is the yellow and white any good? Also I remember reading rumors that Harbor Freight black had abrasive materials in it's makeup or was that flat black?

Thanks DB

vrh
09-24-2016, 08:43 AM
I use the Craftsman PC gun. Been using it for about 1 yr now. Never had problems with it. To possibly help you with your PC'ing rifle bullets...here is what I do. I have a 1 in thick board, I drilled holes in it to hold my Gas checked bullets upright. You might have to determine which drill bit to use to get a lightly snug fit on your bullet. I covered the board with non-stick Aluminum foil. pressed each bullet into each hole thru the tinfoil. Then spray and bake.
Heard the rumors about HB flat black also. That has not been confirmed yet. I use HB flat black with my spray gun for my 30-06 bullets. I don't see a problem with my rifle and I shoot it a lot.

Beagle333
09-24-2016, 08:50 AM
The white and yellow cover well, but don't hide the lead as easily as a dark color, so it'll "look" like a thinner coat, but it works just fine.
Try Smoke's powders. They cover better (imho) and he has a great range of colors.

I use the washer method and the board method as well. They work.
Have fun! :D

Smoke's traffic yellow:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/PowderCoating/trafficyellow005_zpsac7f09c1.jpg

claudecjs
09-26-2016, 06:48 PM
Does Smoke have a website. I plan buying some powder and would much rather buy someone here.

Clalude N9aix

bullet maker 57
09-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Go to the Vendor Sponsor section. He is a vendor here.

RP
09-26-2016, 08:59 PM
Has it got there yet ?

claudecjs
09-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks - Dumb newbe didn't know there was one.

fredj338
09-27-2016, 06:43 PM
You are still going to have to stand the bullets up, the PC gun isn't solving that. You can bake them lying down, just not touching. So really, shake & bake would be faster if you went that route.