PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rings

Krumfola
09-22-2016, 12:53 PM
I have an 1894 45 Colt with an XS scout rail and sights. I just picked up a 4x to put on it but I don't know which height rings will clear the rear ghost ring. I'm planning to get a set of Warne quick detach.

Does anyone know which height I would need to be able to clear the rear site?

Thanks,

Keith

buckshotshoey
09-22-2016, 02:49 PM
A quick detach ghost ring would solve the problem. If such a thing is available. Can attach scope to base, and remove to put detachable ghost ring on the base. Kind of like an AR flat top set up. Then you could use shorter rings to keep the cheek on the stock where it belongs.

Is there such a thing as a flip down ghost ring for a Marlin?

pirkfan
09-22-2016, 11:33 PM
XS does make removable low backup ghost rings for a picatinny rail. Remove by loosening one screw. I've got one on each of two Rossi's and a Henry big boy steel. You can't mount a scope on the rail at the same time because the scope bell will hit the sight, but I'm not sure if that's true for the purpose built XS rail for the Marlin. It's not just about the ring height, it is also about the scope bell diameter but I'm betting since you've mounted it as a scout scope, then it's one of the IER scopes. My Leupold IER 2X cannot be mounted at the same time as the XS removable low ghost ring with Warne medium height QD rings.

Krumfola
09-23-2016, 12:55 AM
It's actually a regular M8 4x33 Leupold. I put it on the rail and slid it as far back as the sight would allow but I've got to crawl too far forward to get the right eye relief that it's uncomfortable. It needs to come farther back but in order to high enough to clear the sight, it's probably going to be too high.

I thought I might be able have the best of both worlds but it is looking like I'm gonna have to pick either scope or ghost ring.

buckshotshoey
09-23-2016, 05:54 AM
There is the option of a red dot sight. Weaver makes a rail that you can use iron sights with, using taller rings. A red dot such as the Hi-Lux is shorter, has no eye relief problems, and looks like a regular scope. And in a lever gun, being honest with yourself, how much magnification is really necessary?