PDA

View Full Version : Looking thru my molds this morning

miestro_jerry
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
I got all of my molds out, I generally have the ones that I cast the most easy to get to, while the others are in an ammo can in the back of the cabinet.

I just discovered two molds that I didn't know I had. One is the RCBS 55gr 22 mold and the other one is Lyman 300 gr 44 Mag. I will have to cast some of these up and see how well they shoot.

This must be a problem after you pass 30, you forget all of the things that you bought over 30 years ago.

Jerry

Ricochet
06-04-2008, 11:26 AM
A year or two ago I found a Group Buy mould I'd forgotten I had. I was straightening up the moulds the other night and found one I recognized and remembered, but had forgotten about and haven't yet tried.

454PB
06-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Jerry, that's like finding a $100 bill hidden in your hunting jacket!

That .22 cal. RCBS boolit is a dandy, I've pushed it to 2500 fps. in my various 22's cast from straight linotype.

DLCTEX
06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I started yesterday compiling a list of my molds so that I can check to see if I own a mold already before buying, or avoid selling my only one because I forgot I had let one of my duplicates go. I let someone have a mold a while back because I thought I had two, then later found i had swapped it away. The replacement was much more than the value of the swap. DALE

scrapcan
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Jerry,

that rcbs 22 mould is junk, you better send it to me.

Really it is not a problem that you did not remember, it makes it like christmas all the time. just ignore when you find the easter eggs you hid for yourself.

Blammer
06-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I had a list of my moulds and I lost it....

HeavyMetal
06-04-2008, 04:14 PM
went throuh my mold container a few months back annd realized I had molds for guns I didn't own any more!

Placed the ad here and got enough cash to buy a second Star! Good stuff happens when you check inventory every once in a while.

Kirk Miller
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

mooman76
06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I bought a 357 & 44 FCD last month. I went to put them away and low and behold I already had them. I even keep a list of all my reload stuff so this won't happen. I must have thrown them on a order last minute so I wouldn't have to pay the extra fee for too small of an order. That's the benifit of growing old, nice little surprizes. I can watch a movie I haven't seen in awhile and it is like a new movie to me!

Tom Myers
06-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Y'all might be interested in this to help avoid some of the confusion in your mold collections.

Mold database software (http://www.tmtpages.com/MoldListBuy/)

Tom Myers
Precision Ballistics and Records (http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/)

Thin Man
06-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Several yers ago I created a "word" file so I could schedule all of the molds I have. Every mold I have is listed in order based on diameter, then weight, with both values starting with the smallest and ending with the largest. The headings I fill in for each mold are diameter, manufacturer, top punch code #, manufacturer's code (mold#), boolit weight, nose style (RN, K, RF, etc), number of cavaties in the mold, and general comments. By keeping mold information grouped this way, I can readily determine if I have the design I need for any particular interest, or if I need to go ahead and jump on another GB. At this time, this schedule covers three (3) pages with data, but it takes that much space to identify the 104 sets of mold blocks I now have ready to use. Whoever said that "too much is never enough" really knows what they are talking about....

Junior1942
06-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I have a folder on my desktop named "Guns." In it is a text file named "Molds." There's a total of 53 files and folders inside the "Guns" folder. Every once in a while I copy the "Guns" folder to the disk space on and provided by my ISP. That way it's in two places.

beanflip
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I wish I had that problem only have one mold! I guess it takes time.

JudgeBAC
06-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I counted mine the other night and discovered I had 49. I must have some sort of illness. It is treatable however. My prescription, buy more molds of course.

Junior1942
06-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I have a folder on my desktop named "Guns." In it is a text file named "Molds." There's a total of 53 files and folders inside the "Guns" folder. Every once in a while I copy the "Guns" folder to the disk space on and provided by my ISP. That way it's in two places.After posting the above message, I decided to copy the folder to my ISP free web space. My $%^&*($#@ ISP had deleted my personal web space!

beanflip
06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
happyness...... is buying one more mold isn't it ?????

mtgrs737
06-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I can't remember all the things I have forgot! Getting older is a real pain in most places! I have a list of many things that I already have so I don't buy them again, the problem now is where did I put that list! LOL because what else can you do?

Bret4207
06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Last count I had over 80 moulds. I think they breed in the dark confines of my storage freezer. I just wish the H+G's and Cramers would get together and produce more of themselves....