PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
09-22-2016, 06:23 AM
But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.—Matthew 5:44–45 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=66c2634809&e=3dd732485b)My mother was married and divorced seven times. I had the privilege of sharing the gospel with several of my mother's husbands, including Oscar Laurie, the man who adopted me. He came to faith in Christ, and I was very thankful for that. However, there was another husband of hers whom I will call Eddie. He was an alcoholic and almost killed my mother one night when he was drunk.

After I became a Christian, I sensed that God wanted me to share the gospel with Eddie. But I didn't really want to. I thought, He is a bad man, and I don't want to talk to him again. I don't want to see him again. But I went anyway. And I would like to say that it was a glorious experience and that he got down on his knees and accepted Christ. But I can't say that. He listened to me. He was nice. He was pleasant about it and said, "Well, you know I am glad this has happened for you, Greg." I invited him to come and hear me preach, but he again said no.

There may be someone like that in your life who has hurt you, someone who has disappointed you. And you think because of that, you don't ever want to talk to them again, much less share the gospel with them. But as believers, we are to overcome our personal prejudice and hang-ups. And instead of saying, "Never, Lord," we need to say, "Yes, Lord!" Be willing. See what God will do. They may react like Eddie. Or they may react like Oscar.

Maybe there is even someone right now whom you regard as an enemy. What can you do? You can share the gospel—and leave the results in the hands of God

Blackwater
09-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Great post, RL! I've said many times that we never know who'll respond and who won't. Sometimes, things work out as we "knew they would." But sometimes, we DO get surprised, and there's really no telling who will respond and who won't. Sometimes, people with everything going for them refuses the gift of faith, and sometimes, the last person we'd expect to respond, simply does. So we all need to cast our bread, and recognize that we never really "know" who will respond and who won't. We simply need to give ourselves a chance to be surprised. It CAN make a huge difference in many, many ways when someone we don't think will respond, actually does. It's "paid forward" many, many times, and often in ways we'd never expect it to. I think that may well be whey we were given the advice in the scripture and thoughts above. It's easier to follow good advice once we understand the reasons for it, especially when it goes against the grain of our natural inclinations. After all, it's our "natural inclinations" that lead us to sin, not righteousness! So it's always better to go with what God has advised, than our own inclinations. And just give ourselves a chance to be surprised.

buckwheatpaul
09-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Outstanding post rl69.....but this is the verse that causes me the most difficult problem. As L.E. for over 34 years we are taught to judge but we are also taught to protect those that can not protect themselves even though we do not like them....thanks for stepping on my toes! Paul

Boaz
09-22-2016, 07:28 AM
I agree with Paul . Laying aside anger , judgement , etc is hard . Forgiveness comes hard for us .
Thank you rl69 , we need the reminder .
Jesus cried out on the cross .

Luke 23;34
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

square butte
09-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Once in a while I am able to pray for those who seem to have done me and others the most harm in life. I try to do it whether I like it or not. It seems terribly inadequate on my part

Pine Baron
09-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks rl, this is a good one. Indeed the hardest thing to do. Not only forgive, but offer the greatest gift there is. I am trying.