PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell if old cans of Black powder are safe to use?

Muskrat Mike
09-21-2016, 10:50 AM
I received a bunch of old 1 pound cans of 2,3,and 4f from a friends estate. I have limited experience with black powder and am wondering since some of this powder is probably 20+ years old if I should use it or dispose of it?

Hickory
09-21-2016, 11:10 AM
I would think the first test would be, if the powder will still burn in a manner that is consistent with "good" black powder.
the second test would be to do a light load in a gun to determent if it can produce loads and accuracy consistent with good black powder.
Black powder does not get more powerful when it deteriorates.

waksupi
09-21-2016, 11:20 AM
It will shoot just fine.

square butte
09-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Plenty of documented cases of 100+ year old powder working as good as the day it was new

10 ga
09-21-2016, 12:16 PM
I have some black powder still in the original Dupont cans, I got it in 1971 and it is just like new and goes bang every time. The artifact guys here in VA often find "dud" artillery shells from the battles of "Great War of Northern Aggression" circa 1861 to 1865. They are quite dangerous and even as recently as 2014 there was a fatality from that ordinance exploding when the guy was jacking around with a shell. Safety first then accuracy. 10

Ballistics in Scotland
09-21-2016, 12:35 PM
If it is really dry and has the original grain structure, it is likely to be good, and certain to be safe. It can't get a higher energy content from anyplace, or they would have made it that way in the first place.

The only exception would be if it has been subjected to humidity, broken down to a much finer structure, and then dried again. That might burn unduly slowly if it was compressed, or unduly quickly, producing pressure which would be dangerous in some, not all, firearms. This is a very unlikely condition, and the grains would probably be crushable to dust between your fingers. If the grains are hard and gritty, use it without a qualm.

Hanshi
09-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Black never goes bad due to age. As long as it has not been wet it is still the same granulation on the can. I, too, have 50 year old Dupont that I haven't gotten around to using up.

koehlerrk
09-21-2016, 07:32 PM
If you're concerned, send it to me. :D

bedbugbilly
09-21-2016, 10:36 PM
It will be just fine. I still have some DuPont that dates back to when I bought it in about 1964. The one can still has the price marked on it in grease pencil - 75 cents for the pound. It works just fine as if it was made yesterday.

I've shot BP that was my grandfather's that he used in his percussion rifle - and he was born in 1867. The powder dated to probably around 1900 or so. He carried his in a old glass bottle with a cork stopper that cherries cam in. It still was fairly full when I found it after his death in 1963. I only used enough to shoot twice but it went bang just fine.

Muskrat Mike
09-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Thank you everybody for your replies! I'll just have to dig out the muzzle loaders and shoot more!

lrdg
09-21-2016, 11:03 PM
I have some black powder still in the original Dupont cans, I got it in 1971 and it is just like new and goes bang every time. The artifact guys here in VA often find "dud" artillery shells from the battles of "Great War of Northern Aggression" circa 1861 to 1865. They are quite dangerous and even as recently as 2014 there was a fatality from that ordinance exploding when the guy was jacking around with a shell. Safety first then accuracy. 10

I've got a couple pounds in Remington cans. Got them from my grandfather. (I'm in my sixties and suspect he bought the powder prior to 1959.) I still shoot a bit of it from time to time with a tear in my eye. Thanks Grandpa!

BTW ~ I also got a IN Johnson pistol and a fowling piece that were his.

fiberoptik
09-22-2016, 01:50 AM
Old bp must be properly disposed of by sending off to a poor disabled vet with muzzleloaders......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
09-22-2016, 01:52 AM
Old reloading powder & ammo must also be properly disposed of by sending off to a poor disabled vet with milsurps.....

fiberoptik
09-22-2016, 01:55 AM
Old orphan safe queens must also be properly disposed of by sending them off to a poor disabled vet..... anyone noticing a pattern?

fiberoptik
09-22-2016, 01:56 AM
=8;^)

Geezer in NH
09-23-2016, 07:38 PM
When it is not in a solid block it is fine BP does not degrade by age just conditions of storage. I am shooting 50+ year old and it is as good as when made.

Good Cheer
09-23-2016, 08:20 PM
In 1975 there was a fella where I worked (as a pen and pencil draftsman) that was an antiques dealer on the side. He told me about a pistol that had come to him that had sat dormant for at least a century.
He unloaded the pistol. And when he ignited the clumped powder it went off. Phoof!

irishtoo
09-23-2016, 09:17 PM
shoot it

Lead Fred
09-23-2016, 11:10 PM
If it worries you, you can send it to me, I will dispose of it properly.
The still use civil war powder. Dixie Gun Works found 200lbs of Rev War powder.
They sold it all. I shot up all my 70's, 80s, and 90s black powder. So now my powder
is from the same century we are in. Im working on 2004 right now.

OverMax
09-24-2016, 11:21 AM
I'll just have to dig out the muzzle loaders and shoot more! <There's the answer.

Earlwb
09-25-2016, 05:38 PM
I would agree with the others, black powder will still be good for more than one hundred years, often much longer too. as long as it doesn't get wet, it is good to go. I would suggest never shaking a can of black powder to see how full it is though, static electricity could ignite it. Now if it got wet from water you can spread it out on something and dry it out good. Then you can use it again.

dondiego
09-26-2016, 09:35 AM
I would agree with the others, black powder will still be good for more than one hundred years, often much longer too. as long as it doesn't get wet, it is good to go. I would suggest never shaking a can of black powder to see how full it is though, static electricity could ignite it. Now if it got wet from water you can spread it out on something and dry it out good. Then you can use it again.

It has been proven that static electricity won't ignite black.