PDA

View Full Version : need some help on barrel type and length

tdoyka
09-21-2016, 12:11 AM
i've been trying to find a 50 caliber that will satisfy my itch. i tried a 50-90 sharps and a 577 snider ( 50-90/100/110 sharps or the 577 snider? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?314913-50-90-100-110-sharps-or-the-577-snider) ) but for a variety of reasons, i chose not to. i did try a 50-70 govt but bullberry and ssk only have a 1 in 18" and a 1 in 11" twist. i was expecting a 1 in 28 or a 34" twist. so i scrapped that idea. since i really want one in my tc encore, i'm at a loss. i like the 500 s&w, there is a nice katahdin barrel that i could use, but the 500 s&w isn't me. its just....i don't know, i just don't "like" it.

as i was looking at MGM webpage, i had an idea. since i want something that can kill a deer(out to 125-150 yards) and matches what a 50-70 can do, the 500 linebaugh does( i know its a 51 caliber). and it does it in a handgun, why can't i use it in a tc encore rifle. i plan on using a cast boolit somewhere between 400-500gr and the velocity will only go 1300fps max. it will be open sighted(probably a peep sight) but it will be drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

what i have for you, will it be either a heavy factory barrel or a full bull barrel? what should the 500L length be? 21" - 27"? i have unique, trail boss and some win296(i really don't want to use it), what powder(low fps - medium fps) can be used? 2400 or titegroup or...?

i am sort of in the heavy factory barrel since i already have it in a fore end(high plains gun stock) and i sort of want it around 23-25". i am disabled(stroke) so weight doesn't concern me, but the polaris ranger might:lol:! the 1300fps can go either up or down considering the recoil(has a limbsaver and a past recoil shield). i should save the money by january or febuary, so i got some time. and i do have a 444 and a 45-70, i know all about recoil:-D, more than i want to know! i'll leave the recoil to both of my sons when its time for me to go.

i should go to a little caliber, i really, really should!

Blackwater
09-21-2016, 01:59 AM
I feel your pain, T. I vascillated on converting a #3 Ruger to .50/110 for much the same reasons as you seem to be hitting - just not able to make up my mind and pull the trigger on the project. And I finally met someone who wanted that rifle (I'd customized it pretty good) bad enough that I foolishly let it go. I still miss that one, and it was stolen from my friend after he moved to Chicago.

Only think I can comment on, really, is the barrel length. For a walking around type hunting rifle, I think I'd go with something smaller than a full bull barrel, and for my part at least, I think I'd leave it long. I've long marveled at how some of those old "long rifles" have that neat "hang" feel out front, and how easy they are to shoot offhand because of that. You can always cut it off if you later decide to, but adding on just ain't in the picture.

As to caliber, if it were me, I'd still go with .50/110 because at 2.225" long, IIRC, it's long enough to shot black and short enough that smokeless should work really well, too. Those 3" and longer cases are just plain cavernous, and ignition can be a problem to get consistent with them. I just estimated that the .50/110 would be as close to being "in the middle" as I was likely to get, and it'd be easily loaded for bear or whatever. I think it ought to be nicely accurate on those long range targets, too, but can't give any testimonials on it. Starline makes the brass straight from the factory, now, too. Bu that's just me, and there's really no wrong answer when it comes to the "Big 50's." The main thing is to just HAVE one, and I kind'a missed my chance with that #3. I'm still shaking my head over that one!

tdoyka
09-21-2016, 09:24 PM
blackwater,
we can share the pain till i get mine:lol::kidding:!!!

i do wish that i'm not stroke-abled, then i could still work and then i could go for an antique 50-70 gov. but since i am and i can't, i will have to go with 500L. today i shot my 444 marlin(tc encore 23" MGM barrel) with a 275gr ranch dog and it was going about 2000fps and the recoil wasn't bad at all. my 45-70 handi-rifle goes around 1400fps using a 405gr fn doesn't hurt either. i "think" that a 500L with a 400-500gr boolit that can go 1300+/- fps will be alright.

i've been "thinkin"(i really gotta quit doin that) that a heavy factory barrel that is 25" long will be enough, but i still have enough time.