PDA

View Full Version : Spanish made .32 inline

richhodg66
09-20-2016, 11:50 PM
I picked one of these up. Seems they were sold as kits, looks like a modification of some existing bolt action rimfire???? Anyway, it's supposed to use .310 balls, I haven't looked that close, but I have some pure lead .311 balls I cast a long time ago for some other project. Could I load a naked round ball in this do you think?

I also have quite a few swaged .32 hollow base wadcutters for .32 revolvers. I was wondering is I could load these (I might have to run them through a sized to make them small enough to load).

Kind of hoping I can squirrel hunt with this in a few weeks.

mooman76
09-21-2016, 08:34 PM
.311 with a patch should work fine. That's what I use in mine. You can try the 32 HBWC. Probably won't shoot well but doesn't hurt to try. I was thinking of trying them in mine.

richhodg66
09-21-2016, 08:51 PM
I kind of wondered if the hollow base might act like a Minie ball. No idea what the twist rate is.

I also have an old, discontinued wadcutter mold that is lighter and if I recall casts a bit under size. Might cast some real soft and see if they work.

fiberoptik
09-24-2016, 02:05 AM
I kind of wondered if the hollow base might act like a Minie ball. No idea what the twist rate is.

I also have an old, discontinued wadcutter mold that is lighter and if I recall casts a bit under size. Might cast some real soft and see if they work.

PP it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Cheer
09-24-2016, 07:02 AM
That sounds like fun.
What's the rate of twist in those things?

richhodg66
09-25-2016, 12:58 AM
I need to do a check on it, no idea what twist it is.

I kind of figure I can often get Pyrodex dirt cheap right after our muzzle loader season ends and a .310 round ball ought to weigh around 50grains or so. I figure I can do a lot of shooting for cheap with this rifle, I just hope it's accurate enough for squirrel hunting.

fiberoptik
09-25-2016, 09:56 AM
At 48 grains=155 balls/lb. of lead. 7000 grains/lb. of BP. At 20 grains per shot- 350 pops. 20 should be more than enough. Sooo expensive!

bedbugbilly
09-26-2016, 01:19 PM
rich - any chance you could post some photos of your 32 inline? Any information on it as to maker, etc.?

I am "old school" and pretty "traditional" but I've been thinking of buying an inline action from Pecatonnica River and barreling it with either a 32 or 36 caliber to just play with and for fun plinking. I guess I've never seen a Spanish 32 inline unless my memory is failing me . . . which it could be! :-) It seems like a .32 would be a lot of fun and easy on the powder and lead.

Thanks.

Jim

richhodg66
09-27-2016, 08:54 PM
This is the one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/579810010

The same seller had an unfinished kit which sold for quite a bit more. This one seems neat, the scope is trash, but may hold up until I can get something better. Just got a Lyman .310 RB mold in the mail yesterday, weekends are pretty much full for a while, but as soon as I can, I'll get her in the squirrel woods.

bedbugbilly
09-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Thanks Rich! I've never seen one like that. It looks like it will be a fun little rifle to play with! When you get some range time in with it - please give us a report back on how it shoots. I have a feeling you'll have a big smile on your face!

richhodg66
09-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Would have preferred a traditional sidelock but those seem rare and are expensive when you find one. I have some small patches on the way. I would like to try some .32 wadcutters at some point.

Mk42gunner
09-28-2016, 01:10 AM
I have one of those. It came to me as a barreled action, minus the front sight.

I made a "good enough to see if it shoots" stock from a 2x6, Then I blew out my knee and threw my back out so I kind of lost interest. I will have to dig that project out and see what it will do.

If it shoots I will have to find a better piece of wood for it.

Robert

richhodg66
09-28-2016, 07:39 AM
It looks to bsome kind of bolt action .22 action for the basis of it, I bet a stock could be adapted easily enough.

Mk42gunner
09-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Funny you should mention that it looks like a .22; Marathon supposedly made a .22 that is very similar, at least from what I found on the internet.

Mine was in the white (maybe they also sold kits?) and I have never looked at the rifling, just checked that it wasn't loaded.

Robert

fiberoptik
09-29-2016, 02:14 AM
Would have preferred a traditional sidelock but those seem rare and are expensive when you find one. I have some small patches on the way. I would like to try some .32 wadcutters at some point.

I have a .32 CVA squirrel gun, side-lock. Always wanted a .32 in-line...

yeahbub
09-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Paper patching a boolit of a length which works with the twist sounds like a really good idea, for target work, anyway. I played with a .36 CVA Squirrel Rifle and after some measurements, the barrel diameter turned out to be .360 bore, .376 groove. I had a good bit of fun paper patching the Lee 158gr .358 RNFP, lubed with a smear of TC 1000 Plus. This was over a compressed load of 40gr of 3f, a card wad, the bore swabbed with Ballistol when seating the boolit. I believe the twist was 1:48, but it did 2.5-3" at 75 yards. The boolit was too long for the twist and it would have done better with a 125gr, but life got in the way. The barrel had to be swabbed clean for each shot to achieve acceptable ease of loading which ruled out rapid reloads for hunting, but I developed a loading and cleaning routine which wasn't as fast as a patched round ball, but was workable in the field. From the way it fouled, I was sure it would have benefitted from a lap job.