PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1885 BPCR

Hairtrigger
10-29-2005, 10:30 AM
I have just cut a deal on a BPCR in 40-65. I have been wanting one.
This is my first BPCR. I have dabbled with front stuffers in the past.
The rifle comes with a mould but not handles, I am starting from scratch as far as casting.
Mentors NEEDED!!
I have never shot in any formal compitition xcept a few rounds of trap at NMLRA with very average results

McLintock
10-29-2005, 12:30 PM
If you're concentrating on black powder with it, there are several good reference books you might consider getting. "The Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette Handbook" by Croft Barker, the "SPG Handbook" by Steve Gerbe, and "Shooting Old West Buffalo Rifles" by Mike Venturino are three of the best. Also, going to forums like shilohrifle.com and going through the posts and comments of many of the experts in the field will help fill in the blanks; bpcr.net is also a good forum but the forum part has been down for a while, but there's other good stuff and info on it. Then this forum can fill in the blanks on actually casting your bullets once you decide on a host of other variables. But, when it gets down to it, trying different combinations on the variables (powder, amount of powder, compression, neck tension, bullet alloy, bullet diameter, primer, wad material, case, etc., etc., etc.) in your rifle is the only way to come up with a load it likes. Just for starters, what make of mould do you have, what weight and type bullet does it throw and to what diameter, particularly compared to your bore diameter?
McLintock

Hairtrigger
10-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the links to the forums!
The rifle is in the mail so I do not have answers to the diameter questions.
The gentleman I bought it from purchased it second hand and did not shoot it much so I did not get any shooting/reloading info from him

13Echo
10-29-2005, 03:00 PM
For a quick start on loading go to this site, scroll down to the bottom and load Cuhck's Guide. It's a good starter primer on loading these rifles.

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/SubFrameSet.htm

Jerry Liles

Bass Ackward
10-29-2005, 05:40 PM
I have never shot in any formal compitition xcept a few rounds of trap at NMLRA with very average results

Hairy,

If you shot very average results at trap before, I don't think you are going to improve your score with the 40/65. There are better guns for that.

But if you do, let me know please. I could use .... an edge.

McLintock
10-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Another site you might want to become familiar with is buffaloarms.com, they have just about anytbing you'll need for loading the black powder cartridge, including the books mentioned above. To load 'em right it takes a slew of stuff and they'll have most of it. Also, a subscription to Black Powder Cartridge News is a good investment for the knowledge and different vendors it can offer. As before, good luck with your new purchase, I think you'll enjoy it.
McLintock

wills
10-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Go here

http://groups.msn.com/BPCR

McLintock
11-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey Wills,
Thanks for reminding me of that site; I brought it up yesterday and learned more about the parculiarities of shooting the .38 caliber BPCR than I've been able to find out in the last 6 months. Particularly on twist rates vs bullet sizes and lengths. Use to have it set up as a favorite but didn't use it much and lost he URL once when I cleaned out my computer and didn't bother to re-up it. With the forums at BPCR.net still down I'll watch this one more. Thanks again,
McLintock

wills
11-04-2005, 12:55 AM
I shoot (or shot – havent been to a match in a year) a 40-65 rolling block at Yaupon Creek. Croft Barker shoots there, Dave Higginbothom (Lone Star Rifle ( http://www.lonestarrifle.com/images/Davechik.mpg )) is one of the club officers. A lot of good advice is available if you go to a match.