PDA

View Full Version : Umbrex Octane Vs. RWS Dianna Apples to Oranges

gpidaho
09-19-2016, 07:22 PM
I've got to say that my Umbrex Octane is as picky as my RWS Diana is forgiving. I've tested fifteen different pellets in each last night and this morning ranging from 6.9 to 10.3gr. The Diana shot all but a couple rather well and five or six were outstanding. The Octane hated all but two and only one printed 1/2" at 10 yards. Most looked like shotgun patterns. I was about to try a different scope when I finally found one it liked. I've been told that heavier pellets should work better in a rifle that goes sonic but the 10.3s were one of the worst (Hard to say there were so many it hated) and it was a 7gr. that printed 1/2 for five. Okay, what are the rest of you finding that works in the Octanes? 6 or 7" groups at ten yards! A Red Rider shoots better than that! Disappointed in my $235 purchase! Gp

HollowPoint
09-19-2016, 09:05 PM
I own two red ryders and compared to my 22 caliber Octane, their accuracy sucks. My Octane will shoot tight clusters with both the 14 and 18 grain pellets. All the other pellets I've tried in it were disappointing in comparison.

I've found that when it comes to the Umarex Octane air rifle, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of that particular air rifle. Some of the factors I've had to deal with when I noticed my accuracy going south were (in no particular order)

1. The pivot screw was not sufficiently tightened so as to mitigate any side-to-side slop of the barrel at the pivot point.

2. The breech-seal was not sealing completely so it would allow intermittent air pressure fluctuations.

3. I've had the same 14 and 18 grain pellets that generally shot great out of my Octane start to shoot erratically as well. Upon closer inspection, I've found that the pellets were distorted and non concentric. Some of them had lead flashing still hanging onto the inner walls of the skirts.

Another example with the pellets themselves is the way they fit in the chamber. The ones that shoot best for me are the ones that require just the smallest amount of thumb pressure to insert into the chamber. The ones that shoot the worst are the ones that just drop in with no pressure at all. It can be a perfectly formed pellet but, if it doesn't fit in my chamber just right it won't shoot just right. The snug fitting pellets tend to self-center as they enter the chamber. The loose fitting pellets sit in the chamber in a non-aligned, not concentric with the bore kind of way so it's no wonder that my point of impact tends to shift; generally in the same direction but other times in other directions. I guess it depends on which way the pellet is leaning as it sits in the chamber.

I've shot enough pellets out of my Octane now that I more or less know where to hold my cross hairs when I load a loose fitting pellet as apposed to a snug fitting pellet.

From your description, it sounds like you're shooting the .177 caliber Octane. No matter; the factors that can affect accuracy are basically the same for the .22 and the .177.

HollowPoint

sutherpride59
10-19-2016, 07:48 PM
I have an octane in 22 and I will admit it is extremely hold sensitive. It can be extremely accurate but it has to be held just right. I bought a s&@$ ton of different pellets for it and still the 22 Crossman premier domed are the most accurate. I tried the Crossman hollow points and they did terrible. It's a good rifle but very much for hunting up to 50yards. Killed coons with it, squirrels and some crows but it's all about shot placement. If you don't have a leapers true strength scope you're screwed. The scope that comes with it wont hold a zero because of all the intense recoil. There are other scopes out there for airguns that work well but the leapers works and I like it for the price. At 50 yards I can hold a 1" group center to center from the bench. Offhand 1" groups at 30yards......its heavy. Your group will shift a bit off hand vs from the bench so zero for offhand if you want to hunt with it.

I kind ins of got off topic but it's a magnum gas ram springer. Nothing about it will ever be forgiving because it's made for power. The best thing to make it a bit forgiving is to do a trigger job. There is a video of it on YouTube somewhere. Good fun though. Also Benjamin marauder in 25 cal will turn this in to a safe queen. Talk about forgiving, accurate and hard hitting.

NyFirefighter357
10-19-2016, 08:50 PM
I scoped and sighted in my buddy's .177 cal. The big issue was it ran out of windage, I had to file the mounting clamp to center it. I only sighted it in at about 4yrds as I did it in my garage but it was accurate with Crossman Premier ultra Magnums 10.5gr. I have some H&N hollow points I'll try too. I was using a Beeman Pellet seating tool I've had for 30yrs. If you need to open your skirts you should try it. http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/12/beeman-pell-seat-does-it-work/

HollowPoint
11-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Another contributor to the accuracy issues of the Umarex Octane is the factory trigger pull. I've had new owners tell me that when they checked the trigger pull using a trigger-pull-gauge, they measured anywhere from 8 to 13 pounds.

Although it is said to be an adjustable trigger, I found that the trigger adjustment on the Octane mainly adjusted the length of pull on the first stage of the trigger pull. That's why we attempted and succeeded in developing an aftermarket trigger component for the Umarex Octane.

As luck would have it, this same upgrade component also works on the Ruger Yukon air rifle as well as the Umarex Throttle, Fuel, Octane and Umarex Force air rifles. Heck, I didn't even know that there was such and air rifle as the Umarex Force. I've since found out that the Umarex Force air rifle is sold exclusively by Cabalas. Apparently it's a clone of the Ruger Yukon minus the wooden stock. It has a synthetic stock.

HollowPoint

sutherpride59
11-10-2016, 11:44 PM
Yah I forgot about the trigger, there is a YouTube video on how to do the trigger job on it. A bit of stoneing and some moly lube got min down to 4lbs. If it's good enough for my bullseye pistol it's good enough for my air rifle. Just go slow and be careful it's an easy fix.