PDA

View Full Version : Comments on some tumbler cleaning solutions

texasmac
09-18-2016, 09:19 PM
I’ve experimented a good bit with various cleaning methods & solutions. The methods are discussed in an article I posted some time ago (http://www.texas-mac.com/Case_Cleaning_Ultrasonic_vs_Tumbler_with_Ceramic_M edia_and_Stainless_Steel_Pins.html). More recently I’ve tried some cleaning solution with ceramic media in a Thumlers Tumbler Model B with the general results noted below.

Lemi Shine powder dishwashing detergent booster - Found at grocery stores, Walmart, Amazon.com, etc. $5 to $6 for a 12 oz bottle. I tried it with & without a squirt of Dawn detergent. When comparing the results with other solution it did not work very well with or without the Dawn. I don’t remember the Lemi Shine to water amounts but I tried a few different concentrations.

Strat-O-Sheen powder burnishing solution – 5 lbs available from https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Strat-O-Sheen-Powder-Burnishing-Compound-5-lbs/3390175 for $26.25 + 12.45 shipping. Figuring 3 oz per tumbler comes out to 27 cleanings at $1.43/cleaning.
I used 3 oz to 1 gal of water and tried it with & without a squirt of Dawn detergent. It worked OK without the Dawn, but with a squirt of Dawn it worked great. The cases were cleaned fast & they came out very clean and shinny, including the primer pockets.

Dave Maurer’s Shooter 2 liquid cleaning/polishing compound – Available from Shiloh Sharps (https://shilohrifle.com/cleaning-supplies/ceramic-media/) or directly from Dave Maurer (517-669-9801), dkittydave@aol.com. About a year ago I purchased two 1-quart bottles from Dave for $30 + $12.65 shipping. Shiloh’s price for 2 quarts is $34.00 + $17.16 shipping. Figuring 1/2 oz per tumbler comes out to a little over $0.33/cleaning
Works great using 1 teaspoon (1/2 oz) of the concentrated solution per tumbler. I’d rate it almost as effective as the Strat-O-Sheen/Dawn & is a little easier to use.

Scrubbing Bubbles liquid bathroom cleaner – Found at grocery stores, Walmart, Amazon.com, etc. $4 to $6 for a 32 oz bottle.
I have not tried it but read reports from others that it works great when using 1 oz or so in a tumbler.

I have about 4 lbs of Strat-O-Sheen remaining and almost two full bottles of Dave Maurer’s cleaner, so I probably won’t be experimenting with anything else until running out of these. Based on the per cleaning price I do not plan on buying any more Strat-O-Sheen & will most likely stick to using Dave Maurer’s solution. But I may pick up a bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles to see if it works as well as Dave’s solution. Although price is not the major decision factor, it would be the cheapest solution if it works as well.

No doubt there are other differing opinions and other solutions.

Wayne

dave roelle
09-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Wayne i use Cascade with citrus dish washing machine liquid for primary cleaning then a 15 minute tumble with blue coral with wax from Walmart---------no water spots ---no tarnish :)

Dave

John Boy
09-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Since I am the one that started this combination and can clean BP cases ID & OD to a clean shining condition in less than an hour, I'm not experimenting any more:
* Strat-O-Sheen
* Squirt of Dawn
* Squirt of Scrubbing Bubbles
with Kramer 2 or 3 mm K-Polish Triangles
With this combination, have cleaned vintage 1940's brass plus corroded BP & smokeless cases submerged in salt water from Super Storm Sandy back to original case color. Just finished 100 cases of 45LC Storm corroded BP cases. Ran them in the rotary with 2 new solution fills - Starline would be proud how shiny they are

texasmac
09-19-2016, 12:50 AM
Since I am the one that started this combination and can clean BP cases ID & OD to a clean shining condition in less than an hour, I'm not experimenting any more:
* Strat-O-Sheen
* Squirt of Dawn
* Squirt of Scrubbing Bubbles
with Kramer 2 or 3 mm K-Polish Triangles
With this combination, have cleaned vintage 1940's brass plus corroded BP & smokeless cases submerged in salt water from Super Storm Sandy back to original case color. Just finished 100 cases of 45LC Storm corroded BP cases. Ran them in the rotary with 2 new solution fills - Starline would be proud how shiny they are

John,

Have you used the Scrubbing Bubbles alone to see how it works?

Wayne

rfd
09-19-2016, 06:29 AM
i know this thread is about tumbler cleaning, but i'd like to share that having been that route with both dry and wet tumblers, hand's down an ultrasonic beats both by a mile for me - faster, quieter, and arguably cleaner brass as the outcome that really shines the insides and primer pocket in one 30 minute cycle. i will never ever go back to a tumbler. ymmv.

BrentD
09-21-2016, 07:46 AM
Yes, mmdv
I used an ultrasound for several years before giving up on it and going back to steel pins in a wet tumbler. Ultrasound did not get it done for me.

Oyeboten
09-22-2016, 12:26 AM
Yes, mmdv
I used an ultrasound for several years before giving up on it and going back to steel pins in a wet tumbler. Ultrasound did not get it done for me.

What size or kind of Steel Pins do you use? And for what kinds of BP Cartridge Brass?

I am thinking of getting some, and I notice there various kinds, shapes, sizes available...usually Stainless Steel.

kokomokid
09-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Oyeboten, the ss pins I use are .045 x .250 and they are magnetic. Think I got them from Buffalo arms.
When I first started shooting bp I dropped freshly fired bp brass into vinegar cut with a little water and it fized like an alka-selzer. Wonder what the long term effect of that would have been? I no longer do that. My brass cleans up very good now with very few peened cases but after I anneal and size with Lee lubricant it looks crappy again.

BrentD
09-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Oyeboten,
I am using the Buffalo Arms pins as well. Not sure what the size is. I use them for .45-100, .45-90, .45-70, .38-55, .38-40, .30-06, and .30-40. I don't get peening at all.

I think they would work for .22 rimfire if I wanted them too.

I have always had problems with ceramics bridging either in the case (.38-55 and any bottleneck) or in the primer pockets (everything).

As an aside, I am frequently walking down range looking for wads and paper patches and what not. At Raton, where there is little grass, I have found ceramic pellets. Gives me pause.

John Boy
09-22-2016, 10:57 AM
Have you used the Scrubbing Bubbles alone to see how it works?Wayne - No. But before I started adding Bubbles, a good squirt of Dawn with the Strat-O-Sheen did a good job cleaning the cases but with Bubbles, the ID of the cases are cleaner

Oyeboten
09-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Oyeboten, the ss pins I use are .045 x .250 and they are magnetic. Think I got them from Buffalo arms.
When I first started shooting bp I dropped freshly fired bp brass into vinegar cut with a little water and it fized like an alka-selzer. Wonder what the long term effect of that would have been? I no longer do that. My brass cleans up very good now with very few peened cases but after I anneal and size with Lee lubricant it looks crappy again.

I imagine Acids will eventually dissolve out the Zink aspect of the Brass, leaving a more or less Copper Shell Casing.

Which of course, would not be a good thing.

I have to suppose the Mechanical cleaning of the little 'pins' would be the best approach for spent BP Cartridge Cases.

I am just now getting back in to Loading after a long pause, and I am starting off with BP in .38 Special, so, getting this part organized and ready is perfect timing for me now.

Oyeboten
09-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Oyeboten,
I am using the Buffalo Arms pins as well. Not sure what the size is. I use them for .45-100, .45-90, .45-70, .38-55, .38-40, .30-06, and .30-40. I don't get peening at all.

I think they would work for .22 rimfire if I wanted them too.

I am glad I happened on to this Thread...

I just sent off last night for half a pound of tiny 'pins' for use with my newly acquired 'Lortone' ( 'Rock' ) Tumbler.

I have always had problems with ceramics bridging either in the case (.38-55 and any bottleneck) or in the primer pockets (everything).

As an aside, I am frequently walking down range looking for wads and paper patches and what not. At Raton, where there is little grass, I have found ceramic pellets. Gives me pause.

Lol...that is funny!!

You know, I did give a glance to the various Ceramic Tumbling Media offerings on the internet but instinctively I felt drawn to the little 'pins' instead.

Then I wandered on to this Thread and this cinches it I think.

BrentD
09-22-2016, 04:25 PM
The Lortone rocks!

(pun intended)

BrentD
09-22-2016, 04:26 PM
I should add, when I use the pins, I sluice them out of the cases by swishing the under water, case-mouth down. They will stick in the surface tension of the water, if you aren't careful. Takes a little bit to find a routine that works efficiently.

Brent

25ring
09-22-2016, 05:12 PM
When separating pins from cases one of the hand crank media separators works well,then get yourself some 5gal paint strainer filters to dump the pins in from the separator.The mesh is fine enough that the pins won't fall through.FWIW--Mike.

Oyeboten
09-22-2016, 06:24 PM
At least the Pins are small enough so they will be hard for anyone to find down range anyway...( Lol...)

Otherwise, should I figure to add a dab of "Cascade" in the Water when I Tumble?

Chill Wills
09-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Everyone likes what they get good at using. For me it has been the ceramic.

I have a few kinds of ceramic and the small size I won (shooter2) provided by Dave M. works well and does not bridge in anything I clean.

Dave can advise what size/shape is correct for what cases. He has worked it out well and you can't go wrong if you follow his advice. If my opinion is worth much, I say the ceramic is by far the easiest and I have tried pins too - Way too much work chasing them around at every step - but then..., I have the system down pat for ceramic so I will stick with what works.

Case cleaning is about the least of the problems in the BPCR game. If it works for you and you are happy, you are doing it right.

BrentD
09-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Case cleaning is about the least of the problems in the BPCR game. If it works for you and you are happy, you are doing it right.

Yup. Hard to improve on that.

And, BTW, congrats on winning the Utah regional!

Brent

Chill Wills
09-22-2016, 10:25 PM
Thanks Brent!

I was trying to sort out the Kansas state match you attended but I never did view a score sheet. I think you, Brad and Cody did well. Yes?

And to stay on topic, we all shot very clean cases and took home dirty ones.;-) :D

BrentD
09-22-2016, 10:31 PM
Yes, we did the same. We brought clean ones, took dirty ones home. I'm already loading them for next year...

Cody absolutely crushed us in the .22 irons game. He had us by 9 after the first day. I think Barry Miller was second place and I was thirdish more or less. And so nothing much changed after the second day.

Then we got to the big guns and while the scope guys were shooting it close, the irons matches were crazy tight. We had 3 and 4 way shoot-offs for each day's winner and then Brad, Cody and I shot off for the overall match winner as well. I got 3rd out of that. Of course, each of us has a "what if shot" that would have made the tiebreaker unnecessary. I killed a turkey out of order. Cody missed a pig, Brad missed TWO pigs. Ah, it was a crazy, fun match. Brad and Cody each shot 9 rams on the last day in horrible wind. I need only 7 to win, I got 6. So it went. Great time though.

Oyeboten
09-23-2016, 12:08 AM
Everyone likes what they get good at using. For me it has been the ceramic.

I have a few kinds of ceramic and the small size I won (shooter2) provided by Dave M. works well and does not bridge in anything I clean.

Dave can advise what size/shape is correct for what cases. He has worked it out well and you can't go wrong if you follow his advice. If my opinion is worth much, I say the ceramic is by far the easiest and I have tried pins too - Way too much work chasing them around at every step - but then..., I have the system down pat for ceramic so I will stick with what works.

Where can one read more about these particular Ceramic Tumbler media?

I would like to know more about them even if I have got some 'pins' on the way.

Is there any reason one would not combine the two?

Chill Wills
09-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Where can one read more about these particular Ceramic Tumbler media?

I would like to know more about them even if I have got some 'pins' on the way.

Is there any reason one would not combine the two?

I can not point you to much written other than do a search here and on other forums. Give shooterr2 a call, he is retired and doesn't bite, and he is a wealth of info. You can find his contact info in the SSE, BPCN, or google.

I have not combined the two so I don't really know. One thing to consider, they both can produce good, clean cases and that is the goal. Putting the two together? To solve what problem? might just make it harder than it needs to be.
I try to stick with the methods that 100% meet my needs with the least time/effort. Put the time into doing things that pay off on the target. . . . Like practice. Shoot a lot.

Michael Rix

Good luck

rfd
09-23-2016, 05:25 PM
steve rhoades (www.arizonasharpshooters.com/1794.html) offers two sizes of dave maurer's ceramic tumbling media.

Oyeboten
09-23-2016, 06:16 PM
I can not point you to much written other than do a search here and on other forums. Give shooterr2 a call, he is retired and doesn't bite, and he is a wealth of info. You can find his contact info in the SSE, BPCN, or google.

I have not combined the two so I don't really know. One thing to consider, they both can produce good, clean cases and that is the goal. Putting the two together? To solve what problem? might just make it harder than it needs to be.
I try to stick with the methods that 100% meet my needs with the least time/effort. Put the time into doing things that pay off on the target. . . . Like practice. Shoot a lot.

Michael Rix

Good luck

I was mostly wondering what shape they are, what size(s), what kind of Ceramic ( Porcelain? )...

Sounds like an excellent product...but I was not finding much for details in my couple of casual 'google' searches.

Oyeboten
09-23-2016, 06:16 PM
steve rhoades (www.arizonasharpshooters.com/1794.html (http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/1794.html)) offers two sizes of dave maurer's ceramic tumbling media.

Thanks!

Chill Wills
09-23-2016, 07:37 PM
I was mostly wondering what shape they are, what size(s), what kind of Ceramic ( Porcelain? )...

Sounds like an excellent product...but I was not finding much for details in my couple of casual 'google' searches.

YUP. That is why I suggested phoning Dave directly. There are a lot more sizes than two - Rhoades offers the two most useful for bpcr cases and I have found the old fashion telephone gets me answers I did not know I had before I called. If you are doing pistol cases or something like Hornet or 25-20 WCF Dave can offer a lot more info.

You have SS pins, sounds like you will have what you need.

Happy shooting!

Oyeboten
09-24-2016, 04:26 PM
YUP. That is why I suggested phoning Dave directly. There are a lot more sizes than two - Rhoades offers the two most useful for bpcr cases and I have found the old fashion telephone gets me answers I did not know I had before I called. If you are doing pistol cases or something like Hornet or 25-20 WCF Dave can offer a lot more info.

You have SS pins, sounds like you will have what you need.

Happy shooting!

BP wise...

I will be doing .32 20....38 Special...45 Colt...maybe .38 S & W...so...nothing unusually narrow or odd.

TXGunNut
09-24-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm probably doing it the hard way but here's what makes my brass shinier than it needs to be: prewash in dishwashing soap and hot water after depriming. After rinsing they get 30 min to an hour in a Hornady ultrasonic and the Hornady prescribed liquid cleaning solution. After another rinse & dry they spend an hour or so in the tumbler for a really nice shine.

Hiwall55
09-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Sounds like a lot of extra work to me, I depri me at the range ,put in soapy water, rinse with clean water when I get home and put in tumbler with ceramic and Dave maurers soap and turn tumbler on, leave for one hour,go down and remove media and rinse , put in drying rack in the sun. DONE

texasmac
09-25-2016, 12:34 AM
Sounds like a lot of extra work to me, I depri me at the range ,put in soapy water, rinse with clean water when I get home and put in tumbler with ceramic and Dave maurers soap and turn tumbler on, leave for one hour,go down and remove media and rinse , put in drying rack in the sun. DONE

Yup, that's also my recipe with one exception. I stand the rinsed/wet cases next to each other in an old frying pan and heat them on a stove until the remaining water inside turns to steam, then move the pan off the heat & let cool for a few minutes. It's a very fast way to dry them out, just don't walk away & forget them on the fire.

Wayne