PDA

View Full Version : 3" Snubbie Choice

Lefty Red
09-18-2016, 12:51 PM
I haven't been around for awhile so I decided to stir the pot a bit. :)
i know what I will suggest, but interested in member's thoughts.

Buddy's wife has finally gave in and went shooting with us a month ago and is wanting a handgun of her own so she can practice with and call her own. Now between Russ and I, we have or have access to about any model of firearm available. But she, smartly I might add, has settled on a revolver. So we are in the hunt for a steel framed 3" revolver for her. And this snub will be feed a diet of 38s, so I don't think it wil hurt the two choices we narrowed it down to.

Ok, until yesterday, the only option we could find was a SP101. I think it's a great weapon. I wish they would produce a slimmer barrels for the 3" and 4" versions. Get rid of that full barrel lug for less weight and easier carry. But I doubt they ever will. Still it's my go to suggestion. Well, we found a S&W 60 Pro yesterday. I really like it! Slimmer barrel and adjustable sights and awesome trigger. Best thing it's within $150 of the SP101. I think it's the winner, but will see what she decides. And before anyone thinks I'm hating on Ruger, I am not! I carried the SP101 in the woods and never felt undergunned or that it would fail me. One tough gun! Same for the 3" GP I have.

One my thing that caught my attention while shopping for guns this weekend, there are allot of small pistols out there! I mean small! And pretty decent priced. Even the G43s with night sights are under $450. Hell, the LCP were on sale for under $200! The LC9-S for $330! But couldn't touch a new revolver for under $700! Well, at least one I would trust.

Also, one more thing, we were looking to trade and Russ has this SW4006 in great shape to trade. $250! That was the highest offer from eight stores! I asked about trading my Gen2 17 in good shape and was offered $375 sight unseen! In fact, I had two guys give me their numbers cause they were interested in it! WTH, when is a polymer pistol worth more than a steel gun from the same era? Yeah, I know but just doesn't seem right.

So, any other models we should be looking at? Would love to talk her into a 44Special Snub, but can't seem to find one local.

Lefty

Outpost75
09-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Agree that a 3" barrel .38 Special is probably the best compromise between portability and ballistics.

Easiest way to get one is to find an S&W 3" barrel at Numrich and have it turned onto whatever 2" J-frame you can find reasonably. A 3" barrel fitted to an older Centennial or Bodyguard is a great carry gun. The factory produced some during the Vietnam era which might still be floating around, but those MACV-SOG-CIA variations were never catalogued.

I have also gotten 3" Colt Cobra or Police Positive barrels and had them fitted onto Colt Police Positive or Detective Special frames, which makes a very satisfactory arrangement.

While not as light or compact, the older Ruger Speed Six, Service Six or Security Six revolvers were common with 2-3/4" barrels and are as sturdy as anvils.

Lefty Red
09-18-2016, 01:13 PM
I agree with the Speed and Service Sixes! Last one I saw for sale had $550 on the Speed Six and $500 on the Service Six! Went back the following week and they were sold!

I would love love to get a 3" M64/65 for myself! But just none to find around here. Or at a decent price. $550-$650 is the price for a new SP or M60. To me, doesn't make sense buying used for new price.

35remington
09-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Haven't priced 3 inch steel J frames lately so I am no help there.

Should still conceal decently as long as butt size doesn't get too big. If 38 is her upper end I would get a 38 instead of loading 38's into a 357 gun never used as a 357. The 38s usually run a little cheaper.

I am a 38 user myself and my preference are Smiths, for reasonable pricing and the smoother actions and refinement possibilities that go along with that. My less expensive 38s of other brands are serviceable and have held up well but for carry I use the more refined and shootable (within the limits of a lightweight 38) gun.

I know this is off topic a little but the Airweight 638/642's may be had for as low as 400 after looking around. At that point there is good value for the dollar. That is what I meant by reasonable pricing.

Blackwater
09-18-2016, 01:25 PM
I'd go with the S&W, but that's simply because I'm conditioned to and addicted to the S&W's trigger pull. Nothing else feels quite "right" to me. This is a factor too, for later. If she decides to move up to a bigger gun, and she's conditioned to one brand's trigger pull, it can really make more difference than it looks like it ought to at first glance, in changing between the two brands' trigger pulls. The "feel" can be quite different.

That's why I'd recommend that whichever you choose, you stick with a similar brand when and if she decides to move up to a bigger gun. And ladies DO often decide to do just that when they find out how much fun shooting can really be. Just MHO, of course, but maybe something to think about?

Paul_R
09-18-2016, 01:36 PM
First off never try and trade in or sell anything at a gun store. They almost always make used car dealers look good.

If you can find one a S7W 586 L-Comp is a fine gun. But then I have expensive taste...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765646_-1_757769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Lefty Red
09-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Haven't priced 3 inch steel J frames lately so I am no help there.

Should still conceal decently as long as butt size doesn't get too big. If 38 is her upper end I would get a 38 instead of loading 38's into a 357 gun never used as a 357. The 38s usually run a little cheaper.

I know this is off topic a little but the Airweight 638/642's may be had for as low as 400 after looking around. At that point there is good value for the dollar. That is what I meant by reasonable pricing.

i wish we could find a 3" 38! I'm a big believer in the 38 caliber and such. It's just none around. Some Gun Shops we went to, small local owners, said they would order a 38 but only carry 357s in stock. And I hate to buy a weapon unseen. And most won't trade for a weapon they have to order.

Oh, I'm big believer of the 642. I have a well used one. Love it! I just wish it had a 3" or even 2.5" barrel instead of a 1.8ish" nub! :) She just likes the heft and controllability of the steel frame. And I don't blame her. She will no doubt gravitate toward a lightweight snub down the road, but for now we are sticking to steel frames.

She he looked at the LCR with the 3" barrel and wasn't impressed, and neither was her husband and I. Maybe with a slimmer barrel, but they barrel lug needs to go!

And I'm sure she will get able to handle the 357, she seems good with it now. Just her druthers. I'm the same way. For contact distances, I just don't see the need for a magnum in a snub.

Lefty

Walkingwolf
09-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Don't rule out 4 inch revolvers~~for years I carried a model 64 4 inch(issued duty revolver) IWB. It concealed as well as any snub, plus having the extra sight radius of a duty revolver. If a gun is intended for pocket carry 2 inch is the way to go.

Mytmousemalibu
09-18-2016, 02:58 PM
I'd look really hard at a S&W M60, personally. Sounds like a perfect fit for what she wants. I Just about bought a 3" M60, Pro Series here a few months ago, kinda wished I did now, sweet gun for sure but as a Pro Series, it wasn't cheap. I just bought a S&W 360J last Sunday too. Pretty sweet little scandium J-frame but not what she is looking for.

W.R.Buchanan
09-18-2016, 03:57 PM
I'm going to submit another route for her. Get her a Glock 19, and get her trained to shoot the thing. It is the easiest pistol to learn to shoot there is, and it has adequate firepower to deal with most situations.

I'd never say anything bad about a S&W Snubby, They are very nicely made guns,,, however it is going to take a lot of practice for her to be able to hit anything with it beyond 10 feet.

Not so with the Glock. One trip to a 4 day Pistol class at Front Sight or other Front Line training facility and she'd be good to go.

The small autos are all Blow Back operated guns and have pretty serious Springs holding them in battery. They are difficult to run effectively for women and I have watched my sister in law struggle for years with hers. There isn't very much to get ahold of on either the grip or the slide on these guns which makes them difficult to rack, which is kind of a necessary function to run the gun. My wife can't even rack the slide on my CZ82's and they are relatively easy.

Once again, not so for the Glocks. They have a decent sized grip that is small enough for the vast majority of people. I have personally seen literally hundreds of women at Front Sight using these guns G17&19 and shooting effectively in a matter of a few days of training. After a couple of trips they are as good as most men and often better.

Next, they have at least 10-15 rounds on board as opposed to a 5 shot revolver.

This is my take on this subject, but no matter what she chooses getting her professionally trained is the key to success.

Randy

Lefty Red
09-18-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm going to submit another route for her. Get her a Glock 19, and get her trained to shoot the thing. It is the easiest pistol to learn to shoot there is, and it has adequate firepower to deal with most situations.

I'd never say anything bad about a S&W Snubby,,, however it is going to take a lot of practice for her to be able to hit anything with it beyond 10 feet.

Not so with the Glock. One trip to a 4 day Pistol class at Front Sight or other Front Line training facility and she'd be good to go.

The small autos are all Blow Back operated guns and have pretty serious Springs holding them in battery. They are difficult to run effectively for women and I have watched my sister in law struggle for years with hers. My wife can't ever rack the slide on my CZ82's and they are relatively easy.

Once again not so for the Glocks. I have personally seen hundreds of women at Front Sight using these guns and shooting effectively in a matter of a few days of training. After a couple of trips they are as good as most men and often better.

Next, they have at least 10-15 rounds on board as opposed to a 5 shot revolver.

This is my take on this subject, but no matter what she chooses getting her professionally trained is the key to success.

Randy

she doesn't want one. Like I said in the original post, she has shoot most of the modern firearm models out there and wants a steel frame revolver with a 2.5-3" barrel. And already know the pros of a g19 but thank you anyways.

Greg S
09-18-2016, 04:08 PM
I've been thinking of doing the same thing converting a model 10, 13, 64 or 65 4" revolver into a 3" by cut and crown to 3", front dovetail front sight, Novak style rear (or a C&S sight), smoothed rounded trigger, action job and a bead blast finish + parkerizing for a carbon style base model. Problem is all the old 64/65s have been gobbled up and the cost of a factory 3" 65 that hasn't been shot to death/rebuild is cost prohibitive.

I like the 4" M10 for plinking but a little big for EDC. I carried a 2" model 10 for about 2 years and it was easily concealable, accurate but always felt an added 1" would add some sight radius to aid rapid fire/tansition.

The advantage of a K/L frame over a J frame/SP101 is weight and recoil absortion and better aftermarket grip availability. A friend had an sp101 and it was not a pleasure to shoot, perticularly with full house rounds.

35remington
09-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Actually the small 380 autos are locked breech and only weigh about 9 ounces. As such they are much easier to rack than the full power 9s and 40s and are very popular with women due to small size and manageability.

The gauzy pants worn by most women limits their carry choices. I applaud this wife's choice of a three inch 38 as hit probability and power noticeably excel many alternatives. She knows what she wants and deserves to get it. I bet she dresses to suit as well.

I am sure LR's friend's wife knows what she wants and deserves to get it.

opos
09-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Recently picked up a S/W model 36 with a square butt and a 3" bbl....from 1964....I had one back then and found this one in an ad..they are scarce as hen's teeth and a real nice little revolver..I got big hands and the frame is tiny so I put a set of Pachmyers on it to "bulk it up"...looks terrible but makes shooting it a pleasure..not from recoil but just to fill out my big old paws..176916

Lefty Red
09-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Yes, Daley is a nurse working in an administrator role in her current job. She dresses nicely and is smart enough to want to carry on body! :). I know most ladies want to carry their weapon in their purse, but I just think it makes a safer situation to have the weapon on you when outside the home.

She shot the G26 w/ extended magazine very well, and even with the standard flush magazine. She loved my Colt Mustang as well. Really thought she would go for a Shield or XDS. But she wants a wheel gun and I can't fault her. She knows weapons, just not a gun nut. And she loves the heavier double action trigger on them. I think it stems from her working in the ER and seeing more than one child that shot themselves or was shot by their parent's semiauto that was left unsupervised. So I understand.

well I hope I find something soon. Russ just bought a LNIB Gen4 G30 and I got a new Colt Defender! We are running out of trading fodder and money! :)

opos, saw an older nickel plated 36 today. But at $550 it was out of my league for project gun. Had the box and paperwork too.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
09-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Rossi 461/462. I just got a 461 with 3" tube, see my post on it in this forum. Pretty much the same size as a 3" SP-101 but with an extra round, much lower cost, and waaayyyy better trigger pull. Rossi apparently makes the 3" barrel in runs for certain distributors, they are usually available on Gunbroker.

Lefty Red
09-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Rossi 461/462. I just got a 461 with 3" tube, see my post on it in this forum. Pretty much the same size as a 3" SP-101 but with an extra round, much lower cost, and waaayyyy better trigger pull. Rossi apparently makes the 3" barrel in runs for certain distributors, they are usually available on Gunbroker.

I did see that post and even did a search on the model. If I run across one will make sure it's considered of the reviews are good. I had an old Model 88 Rossi, 5-shot 3" a long time ago when it was all I could afford. Wouldn't shoot +P in it but still, good bedside gun.

tazman
09-18-2016, 10:52 PM
I own a S&W 60 with a 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights. As it happens, mine is rated for 38 special only. That's fine with me as I feel the 357mag's power is wasted in a short barrel. Mine shoots and handles very well. I can group very nearly as well with it as I can my 6 inch model 14. I have no problem recommending this as a carry/self defense gun.
Mine likes target wadcutters the best but will shoot accurately with anything I have put through it.

09-18-2016, 11:21 PM
3" S&W stainless, round butt Mod 10 (or whatever the model number is for the stainless) with pachmyer grips is hard to beat. Shoots great - carries easy. Wonderful with .38's and fully comfortable with +P's should the need arise.

Ithaca Gunner
09-19-2016, 01:03 AM
I carried a S&W M-13 3" round but for a while in the 80's. Not bad at all in a belt or shoulder rig, though not quite as easy to conceal as the Colt Detetive Special 2". Looks like S&W dropped the M-13, too bad.

Even better than a M-13 would be an old Ruger Speed Six 3". I'm a disciple of Murphy and his law, I note the .357 Magnum just because it's one more cartridge that you can shoot in the gun. Run out of .38's and for sure all you'll find is .357 Magnum ammo.

One thing I shy away from in a defensive handgun is adjustable sights. Just don't need em and they more often than not can and will snag on clothing. My current carry gun is a 70 Series .45 Commander with stock sights, I've taken the time and expense for beaver tail grip safety, extended thumb safety, magazine release, and slide stop, none of these present a snag possibility, the sights stay fixed, rounded and low. I don't carry it for target shooting.

FergusonTO35
09-19-2016, 08:59 AM
Another option: Taurus makes the 85 with a 3" tube periodically. My local guy sells bunches of them and rarely has any complaints.

LabGuy
09-19-2016, 09:05 AM
The short answer from me is: both my Wife and Daughter settled on the 60 Pro. It's a 357, but they only shoot 38 Special. Having the weight of steel to mitigate recoil was a huge factor.

ironhead7544
09-19-2016, 09:15 AM
I have a 4 inch blue RB M12-3 S&W. The ladies love it. Light weight and 6 shots.

The Ruger 3" LCRx with adjustable sights is about right for a house and carry revolver that is readily available. You can put the shorter grip on it for carry. It is a bit ugly but will function.

You might look for a S&W Night Guard in 38 Special. Alloy frame with 2.5 inch barrel.

FergusonTO35
09-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Those Night Guards are sweet but $$$. If they would make it with a regular aluminum frame and 2-3" barrel I would buy it like yesterday.

Mytmousemalibu
09-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Those Night Guards are sweet but $$$. If they would make it with a regular aluminum frame and 2-3" barrel I would buy it like yesterday.

Might try finding the gun I just got if you have the hots for a Night Guard. The 360J, its a J-frame snub, Scandium frame, .38+P and can be had for around 4 bills, maybe less. It's not in S&W's catalog nor do they acknowledge making them really. Apparently they are contract overruns or cancelation of such made for the Japanese police. Unique serial number location & hole for a lanyard loop in the grip frame. Same frame as the 360PD. Pretty unique gun!

Char-Gar
09-19-2016, 01:01 PM
A 3" small frame 38 Special offers much to the carrier and shooter. It offer very near 4" (service pistol) velocity, increased shootability, less weight and less bulk.

In days gone by, these were more common but folks may have to shop the used market, to buy or make one of these. I have two, a 3" S&W Chief Special and a 3" Colt Detective Special. There is not much difference between the two except the Smith is a little smaller, but it gives up one round in the cylinder as the price.

Lefty Red
09-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Man, have traveled far and away to find some Snubbies! Everything is UL, or something we just don't trust. So she picked one and here is the update.......

SW Nickeled 36 was purchased 30 minutes before we got to the shop! I do blame my best friend since school for his lack of bladder size and control! I had ever intention of buying it!

Did is see some nice older Taurus revolvers, from the early 90's. I had the 85 and 82, both 3" and fixed sights then. Good strong weapons! Kind of pricey. And wasn't due of the newer ones. Same with the Rossi we saw. Just not up to the ones from back when.

Saw and held a SW 44sp 5-shot that I didn't want to let go of! Some Pro Shop build. Kind of like the cheerleader's mom, just out of my league and spending level. :)

She found one! A NIB SP101 with the 2ishs" barrel, but it was in 38 Special! They were wanting to get rid of it! We took it and it's twin! Think it came out to $400 each! Thought that was a great deal! Owner said everyone wants a 357, and I understand in a way. But the actuality of firing a 357 in a 2" barrel is extremely low. Most guys I know shot it once or twice and put them up! Even the steel frames! So not a 3" but it was cheap enough and it really balanced well, better than the 357 SP101 Russ was carrying. So this now we got to get them shipped to IL and then wait till the weekend. :). So now I have to wait to pick up my Defender and new SP101!!!

Char-Gar, those are some beautiful weapons!

Lefty Red
09-19-2016, 04:12 PM
The short answer from me is: both my Wife and Daughter settled on the 60 Pro. It's a 357, but they only shoot 38 Special. Having the weight of steel to mitigate recoil was a huge factor.

I really though she would go with the M60, but we couldn't find one under $600! No used ones around. I think I might get one with tax return or if I ever get overtime again. The 60 is a classic and I want one bad!

Lefty Red
09-19-2016, 05:19 PM
I own a S&W 60 with a 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights. As it happens, mine is rated for 38 special only. That's fine with me as I feel the 357mag's power is wasted in a short barrel. Mine shoots and handles very well. I can group very nearly as well with it as I can my 6 inch model 14. I have no problem recommending this as a carry/self defense gun.
Mine likes target wadcutters the best but will shoot accurately with anything I have put through it.

yep! I have to get one!

Lefty Red
09-19-2016, 05:23 PM
3" S&W stainless, round butt Mod 10 (or whatever the model number is for the stainless) with pachmyer grips is hard to beat. Shoots great - carries easy. Wonderful with .38's and fully comfortable with +P's should the need arise.

I had a Taurus 82, which was a M10 and fixed sights, with a 3" barrel. Why back in the early 90's when they were still made on actual SW machinery. I agree, greet wheel gun! I wish I had one and a SW 681 back.

Mtnfolk75
09-19-2016, 06:53 PM
I have been carrying snubs for the most part lately, usually one in a pocket holster and the other in a OWB at 4 o'clock. I have three Rugers, a 2" LCR in 9mm, a 2.25" SP-101 & 2.75" Speed Six (both in .357) & a 1.87" Smith & Wesson 649-2 in .38 Special. They all carry & shoot well, I think she will be happy with her new SP-101.

With this latest round of Jihad in the USA I think I will add a Model 59 with 2 extra magazines to my truck console .....

JMax
09-19-2016, 07:36 PM
I still have a 3" S&W 13 from my LEO days. They were last made in the early 90's and that is there era that mine I'd from. A Kramer IWB holster, moon clip conversion and a properly bobbed hammer makes for a snag free well concealed rig. I will post some photos when I get home in a few days to give you hope.

jonp
09-19-2016, 08:53 PM
SP101 in 357. Load it until you can't stand the recoil or the fireball then practice with 38sp and carry the stout stuff for self defense

Lefty Red
09-19-2016, 09:04 PM
I still have a 3" S&W 13 from my LEO days. They were last made in the early 90's and that is there era that mine I'd from. A Kramer IWB holster, moon clip conversion and a properly bobbed hammer makes for a snag free well concealed rig. I will post some photos when I get home in a few days to give you hope.

please don't! I'm in a wheel gun mood and my poor bank account can't handle it. :)

Groo
09-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Groo here
Most SP 101 38's had a short cylinder , originally , a smith would re-chamber to 357 and shoot 125 or 110 JHP.
You could go to BB and get the "outdoorsman" load and shoot as is.
+P just makes them fun,or handload [ the magic Speer No 8 !!]
My personal is a 2 1/8 SP101 357 with a 4 port magnaport system .
38 WC up to 357mag 200gr "Groo Monster Maulers".
No Sweat!!

Lefty Red
09-19-2016, 09:14 PM
SP101 in 357. Load it until you can't stand the recoil or the fireball then practice with 38sp and carry the stout stuff for self defense

its a 38special SP101. And like I said before, we don't feel the need to load a 357 mag in them with that short of a barrel. When I get my 3" SP101, I will make sure it's a 357. But even then I like the standard velocity 158 LHPSWC from Buffalo Bore as my carry round. Even in my UL 642, it was the most accurate load with that type of bullet. Although some HBWC I loaded up stout for the UL Snubbies would be ok too.

The more I mess with 38 in reloading, the less I feel the need for a 357 in a pistol. In a rifle, yeah the 357 magnum is something else. But in a handgun, especially a light weight one with a nub for a barrel, it flash/bang more than a projectile. :) if I think my 38s can't do it, then I will move up to my 44s. I can load my SP101 up to +P+ levels and not flinch cause it will take it. But I don't need it as a civilian carrying, IMHO.

Finster101
09-19-2016, 09:16 PM
3" is not a snubbie.

Lefty Red
09-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Groo here
Most SP 101 38's had a short cylinder , originally , a smith would re-chamber to 357 and shoot 125 or 110 JHP.
You could go to BB and get the "outdoorsman" load and shoot as is.
+P just makes them fun,or handload [ the magic Speer No 8 !!]
My personal is a 2 1/8 SP101 357 with a 4 port magnaport system .
38 WC up to 357mag 200gr "Groo Monster Maulers".
No Sweat!!

True, Groo! And I think the frame was a tad shorter as well in the older ones.

i had forgotten how balanced the 38 only ones were until I held one again. Makes the 357 ones feel "off". And I think that is why Daley fell for this one, it felt good. Her husband has the 357 with the 2.25" barrel and it just doesn't feel the same. And a side "gripe", what's up with <2" barrels? It's like they are 5 shot derringers.

I have a decent stock stock of Buffalo Bore standard velocity 158gr LSWCHPs that I will carry in my SP. they shot "way" high in my 642! Hope they shot to aim in this steel snub.

tazman
09-19-2016, 09:58 PM
its a 38special SP101. And like I said before, we don't feel the need to load a 357 mag in them with that short of a barrel. When I get my 3" SP101, I will make sure it's a 357. But even then I like the standard velocity 158 LHPSWC from Buffalo Bore as my carry round. Even in my UL 642, it was the most accurate load with that type of bullet. Although some HBWC I loaded up stout for the UL Snubbies would be ok too.

The more I mess with 38 in reloading, the less I feel the need for a 357 in a pistol. In a rifle, yeah the 357 magnum is something else. But in a handgun, especially a light weight one with a nub for a barrel, it flash/bang more than a projectile. :) if I think my 38s can't do it, then I will move up to my 44s. I can load my SP101 up to +P+ levels and not flinch cause it will take it. But I don't need it as a civilian carrying, IMHO.

The business about 38 special and 9mm being inadequate for defense has been hashed and rehashed on this site forever and probably will continue to be. I am firmly in the group that wants to put a bullet/boolit in the best spot possible under the circumstances and let it do it's job. Control and accuracy are the key here. You need to shoot what you can consistently hit your target with. I can do that with a 38 special. Not so much with a larger cartridge.

35remington
09-19-2016, 10:34 PM
I suppose that the 1.875" barrels facilitate pocket carry and are a popular step toward minimum size. Nothing to harpoon you should you do the quick slide into the compact car sear when appendix IWB carrying.

With good load selection very suitable power is still available. Mine are generally around that length and are manageable given reasonable amounts of practice.

FergusonTO35
09-19-2016, 10:49 PM
I love my 637 with it's 1-7/8" tube. It conceals almost as easily as my LCP but is much easier to shoot and throws 150% more boolit. Now, I wouldn't have it with a longer barrel even though S&W has made runs of them with 2.5 and 3 inch barrels. That would preclude it from pocket carry, if I'm going to carry IWB or on the belt I much prefer a larger six shot revolver or a bottom feeder.

Pinsnscrews
09-19-2016, 11:23 PM

This is my Dan Wesson 14-2 that I picked up over the weekend for just over $300...
With the 2.5 inch barrel, I will most likely stock it in the house with a .38spc defense load as my wife can't ride the recoil of a .357mag load. But when it is on me, I will have it loaded with .357 loads. Now I just need to work up some handloads for it.

They are out there...The DW felt so much more balanced than either the Ruger SP101, the Charter Arms Pug or the Taurus offering that was there. The Taurus was out off the bat, the trigger felt very gritty and "loose". The Ruger and Charters were in the running because I hadn't been aware the DW was priced the way it was. I can still swap in a barrel easily thanks to the DW system, in fact, I am looking for an 8-10 inch shroud and barrel for IHMSA to use with a scope. Note: the 14, has the fixed rear sight for conceal carry, the 15 has the adjustable rear sight.

rintinglen
09-19-2016, 11:30 PM
A gun to steer clear of is the Colt DS II. This was a poor man's version of the v-spring Police Positive Special and it is extremely prone to timing problems. I finally got mine to function DA, but it was no picnic and it doesn't work single action.

winelover
09-20-2016, 07:18 AM
3" is not a snubbie.

Agree! Better have "deep pockets" for a 3" barreled revolver......and I'm not referring to your bank account.

Winelover

Walkingwolf
09-20-2016, 08:04 AM
3" is not a snubbie.

^my opinion also. If you can carry a 3 inch, you can carry a 4. Personally I feel the 3 inch is a fad, which is OK but I remember when nobody wanted a 3 inch "snubbie". I owned one once, it was a good gun for compact carry, was in no way a pocket revolver, which at the time was what I needed for a summertime backup. I found the model 36 2 inch would fit a uniform pocket perfect. That extra length barrel on the 3 inch not only made it uncomfortable, but impossible to conceal. IWB off duty carry the 4 inch duty weapon concealed well, I saw no reason for a snub. I find the 4 inch, and 5 inch barrels perfect carry length for carry not in a pocket, 2 inch in the pocket.

jonp
09-20-2016, 01:39 PM

You ever try a 170gr in it? Just wondering if it would work or not
I had the short sp101 in 357 and wish i hadnt sold it. Once in awhile ill carry a Chiefs Special and find myself liking it more and more

Lefty Red
09-20-2016, 02:19 PM
You ever try a 170gr in it? Just wondering if it would work or not
I had the short sp101 in 357 and wish i hadnt sold it. Once in awhile ill carry a Chiefs Special and find myself liking it more and more

no I haven't, but the more I lean toward standard velocity loads the more I go for a higher weigh. I know my Lee 158 FP runs around 162 with my lube and alloy and I would hate to have that hit me! Might have to do some more casting soon. :)

Lefty Red
09-20-2016, 02:26 PM
^my opinion also. If you can carry a 3 inch, you can carry a 4. Personally I feel the 3 inch is a fad, which is OK but I remember when nobody wanted a 3 inch "snubbie". I owned one once, it was a good gun for compact carry, was in no way a pocket revolver, which at the time was what I needed for a summertime backup. I found the model 36 2 inch would fit a uniform pocket perfect. That extra length barrel on the 3 inch not only made it uncomfortable, but impossible to conceal. IWB off duty carry the 4 inch duty weapon concealed well, I saw no reason for a snub. I find the 4 inch, and 5 inch barrels perfect carry length for carry not in a pocket, 2 inch in the pocket.

Its a personal preference. And I don't think you are wrong about concealing a 3" or 4" with a good IWB or pancake holster. But the extra width the sixth shot adds is more of a hendrance than the extra barrel length, IMHO.

Lefty Red
09-20-2016, 02:28 PM

This is my Dan Wesson 14-2 that I picked up over the weekend for just over $300...
With the 2.5 inch barrel, I will most likely stock it in the house with a .38spc defense load as my wife can't ride the recoil of a .357mag load. But when it is on me, I will have it loaded with .357 loads. Now I just need to work up some handloads for it.

They are out there...The DW felt so much more balanced than either the Ruger SP101, the Charter Arms Pug or the Taurus offering that was there. The Taurus was out off the bat, the trigger felt very gritty and "loose". The Ruger and Charters were in the running because I hadn't been aware the DW was priced the way it was. I can still swap in a barrel easily thanks to the DW system, in fact, I am looking for an 8-10 inch shroud and barrel for IHMSA to use with a scope. Note: the 14, has the fixed rear sight for conceal carry, the 15 has the adjustable rear sight.

i have yet seen a DW they wasn't a shooter! Beautiful weapon!

Lefty Red
09-20-2016, 02:30 PM
I love my 637 with it's 1-7/8" tube. It conceals almost as easily as my LCP but is much easier to shoot and throws 150% more boolit. Now, I wouldn't have it with a longer barrel even though S&W has made runs of them with 2.5 and 3 inch barrels. That would preclude it from pocket carry, if I'm going to carry IWB or on the belt I much prefer a larger six shot revolver or a bottom feeder.

Plum going to have to look for those! I would like one with the 2.5" barrel! But would want it in a 642/442.

Lefty Red
09-20-2016, 02:33 PM
I suppose that the 1.875" barrels facilitate pocket carry and are a popular step toward minimum size. Nothing to harpoon you should you do the quick slide into the compact car sear when appendix IWB carrying.

With good load selection very suitable power is still available. Mine are generally around that length and are manageable given reasonable amounts of practice.

eventhough I ***** about the nub of a barrel, it does make carrying the pain free for me. Wondering how the SP101 works out in the belly band. The shorter 2.25" shouldn't affect me, but the 3" will most likely go in a IWB.

Walkingwolf
09-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Its a personal preference. And I don't think you are wrong about concealing a 3" or 4" with a good IWB or pancake holster. But the extra width the sixth shot adds is more of a hendrance than the extra barrel length, IMHO.

That is why the .32 has become popular again. At one time, before my time, it was a staple of LE carry. 327 would be my only choice for a pocket gun if I carried in my pocket. For me a 5 shot is just a backup, it just gives me more comfort to know that extra round is there if needed. Now I do carry a Rossi 352 as a backup to my Ruger 32 H&R Vaquero. I always carry revolvers in pairs, even when a revolver was the duty gun I carried a small Sterling semi auto in the handcuff case.

Most semi autos of compact to duty size I do not feel I want to carry two handguns. Sorry off topic, but I see your point, I bought a Colt Cobra in 79 for a backup, and found it was too thick for pocket carry as a backup. Sold it for a model 36 which was too long, traded it for a 2 inch model which was just right.

W.R.Buchanan
09-20-2016, 02:52 PM
A guy in my Club has had a S&W 640 for sale for a long time. It is a 5 hot J frame 9MM that uses Moon Clips. It is a nice gun and I have twitched when around it everytime I see it. However He wants $950 for it and won't budge a whole lot. It hasn't been either carried or shot very much at all and is essentially almost NIB. Really nice snubby! all SS won't rust!

I paid $950 for my S&W 696 which is a .44 Special and I'd bet she could shoot that just fine, however it is a heavier gun and wouldn't carry as well on a daily basis, and really wouldn't conceal well either.

I noticed that she had shot a G26 with the grip extensions and kind of liked it. I was going to suggest that but suggested the G17/19 instead. I got a G36 a couple of months ago and with the Pearce Grip extension it makes a good carry piece that you can actually shoot, but it's a .45.

My whole point of suggesting these guns is that you stated you were on a budget. The only Snubbys worth having, that you are likely to run into used that still have decent life left in them,,, are S&W J Frames. Even then they are going to be more expensive than a new Glock unless the seller is dumb.

If she really wants a Snubby, then I would suck it up and bite the boolit and get a nice new one for her. A Birthday or Christmas present would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

I bought my wife a new VW Passat Diesel two years ago. She came unglued when VW got caught and took a real set against the car, which was a really nice car that got exceptional mileage. Then She wrecked the car, and since VW can't sell the Diesels, I couldn't replace it,,, and I tried real hard!

Now she has a new Chrysler 300C which is a really nice car and she loves it, so life is good.

Buy them whatever they want, and things smooth right out.

Randy

FergusonTO35
09-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Randy, the standard airweight J frame .38's go for around $350-400.00 here in the free world, whereas Glocks have been $500-550.00 forever. The Scandium, Airlite Ti, and Performance Center versions cost way more of course.

Lefty Red
09-20-2016, 08:14 PM
Randy,
I was just foundling a SW 640 Pro, just like what you were describing, and it was $700 new. Along with a SW 60 Pro, priced $675, I though they were well worth the price!
Regular old 642/442s can can bought for $380 right now. LCR is $410, in 38. 357/9mm are $540.

Jerry

Lefty Red
09-20-2016, 08:27 PM
A guy in my Club has had a S&W 640 for sale for a long time. It is a 5 hot J frame 9MM that uses Moon Clips. It is a nice gun and I have twitched when around it everytime I see it. However He wants $950 for it and won't budge a whole lot. It hasn't been either carried or shot very much at all and is essentially almost NIB. Really nice snubby! all SS won't rust!

I paid $950 for my S&W 696 which is a .44 Special and I'd bet she could shoot that just fine, however it is a heavier gun and wouldn't carry as well on a daily basis, and really wouldn't conceal well either.

I noticed that she had shot a G26 with the grip extensions and kind of liked it. I was going to suggest that but suggested the G17/19 instead. I got a G36 a couple of months ago and with the Pearce Grip extension it makes a good carry piece that you can actually shoot, but it's a .45.

My whole point of suggesting these guns is that you stated you were on a budget. The only Snubbys worth having, that you are likely to run into used that still have decent life left in them,,, are S&W J Frames. Even then they are going to be more expensive than a new Glock unless the seller is dumb.

If she really wants a Snubby, then I would suck it up and bite the boolit and get a nice new one for her. A Birthday or Christmas present would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

I bought my wife a new VW Passat Diesel two years ago. She came unglued when VW got caught and took a real set against the car, which was a really nice car that got exceptional mileage. Then She wrecked the car, and since VW can't sell the Diesels, I couldn't replace it,,, and I tried real hard!

Now she has a new Chrysler 300C which is a really nice car and she loves it, so life is good.

Buy them whatever they want, and things smooth right out.

Randy

Daley isn't on a budget, but she is a pretty thrifty gal. Drive a beater Kia to work during the week and cruises in her Lexus on the weekend. :)

the SP101 with the 2.25" barrel and in 38 wasn't really a compromise. It's close to the 3" she wanted, and it will handle the load she wants to shoot in it. Plus it's steel, balanced, and rugged. The more she thinks about it, she just didn't like the adjustable sights on the M60. And I have to agree, they seem fragile. I like fixed sights on my carry weapons, or at least heavy duty. She has already offered a night sight for the front and custom inserts from Chip. :) We are taking her this weekend to get a holster picked out and I'm hoping to find one myself in case the belly band doesn't work out for this 5 shot.

Daley did like the 640 Pro we saw today, and I won't be suprise that she gets it if she can have a 2.5" barrel on it. If it's as accurate as my 642, I will grab it even with the nub of a barrel on it! :)
in fact, the more I think about it the more I want to save my pennies and buy one over the SW M60.

Lefty Red
09-21-2016, 05:50 AM
That is why the .32 has become popular again. At one time, before my time, it was a staple of LE carry. 327 would be my only choice for a pocket gun if I carried in my pocket. For me a 5 shot is just a backup, it just gives me more comfort to know that extra round is there if needed. Now I do carry a Rossi 352 as a backup to my Ruger 32 H&R Vaquero. I always carry revolvers in pairs, even when a revolver was the duty gun I carried a small Sterling semi auto in the handcuff case.

Most semi autos of compact to duty size I do not feel I want to carry two handguns. Sorry off topic, but I see your point, I bought a Colt Cobra in 79 for a backup, and found it was too thick for pocket carry as a backup. Sold it for a model 36 which was too long, traded it for a 2 inch model which was just right.

Back in 2005/2006, I was an AUX officer and my COP got a six shot j framed 32H&R Mag and we reloaded for it and got a nice casted bulet from CNC (local dealer and caster) and it was about the perfect BUG or CCW. And I remember a slew of 32 revolvers about the same time.

Now to aurgue the 6/32 vs 5/38, I don't see it. I personally wouldn't want to mess with reloading for the 32 now, so the 38 makes the cut for me. Or could go the other way and say why not a 22mag with 8 shots?

Now one that I have said all of that, watch a 32 snub come up for sale cheap and I will buy it! LOL

Jerry

FergusonTO35
09-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Lefty, Charter Arms made a bunch of Undercovers in .32 S&W Long. Unlike the current magnum version they hold six shots. Given that they were designed for .38 Special they should be able to handle any .32 S&W Long ammo under the sun. You should be able to find a really nice one for $200.00 or so on Gunbroker.

If I came across a .38 Special SP-101 for a reasonable price I would certainly give it a hard look. They are outstanding guns for sure.

Lefty Red
09-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Lefty, Charter Arms made a bunch of Undercovers in .32 S&W Long. Unlike the current magnum version they hold six shots. Given that they were designed for .38 Special they should be able to handle any .32 S&W Long ammo under the sun. You should be able to find a really nice one for $200.00 or so on Gunbroker.

If I came across a .38 Special SP-101 for a reasonable price I would certainly give it a hard look. They are outstanding guns for sure.

CA always seem to have a Snubbie in just about any caliber you would want.
on a Pug in 44Special and wish I never let it go. it's on. My wish list.

FergusonTO35
09-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Charter is the snub nose specialist for sure. I had a Police Undercover for awhile, a six shot .38 built on the Bulldog frame. Great gun, ended up selling it to get out of debt. Wouldn't mind having another, although my new Rossi is pretty much the same thing. The quality of current Charters is very good, I think at least comparable to the cheaper offerings from S&W and Ruger.

W.R.Buchanan
09-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Wow I hadn't looked at the new prices for those guns and I will be grinding on him next time I see him. I'd like to have that gun!

Or maybe he is asking that much due to the rarity of the gun. I couldn't find a current 9mm model on the S&W site. Everything came up .38/.357.

Here's a pic of my 696 no dash IE: first model with firing pin on hammer. I paid $950 for it with less than 100 rounds thru it and I wouldn't even consider selling it for less. Those guns are real hens teeth and the no dash model is the most desirable, as opposed to the -1 which has the frame mounted FP, and the -2. which has the lock.

The gun I'm talking about looked like a J frame version of this. Doesn't seem like a $700 gun?

Randy

FergusonTO35
09-21-2016, 04:28 PM
The gun your friend has may well be worth that much. As far J frames in general go, the basic guns currently in production are reasonably priced.

Wayne Dobbs
09-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Agree that a 3" barrel .38 Special is probably the best compromise between portability and ballistics.

Easiest way to get one is to find an S&W 3" barrel at Numrich and have it turned onto whatever 2" J-frame you can find reasonably. A 3" barrel fitted to an older Centennial or Bodyguard is a great carry gun. The factory produced some during the Vietnam era which might still be floating around, but those MACV-SOG-CIA variations were never catalogued.

I have also gotten 3" Colt Cobra or Police Positive barrels and had them fitted onto Colt Police Positive or Detective Special frames, which makes a very satisfactory arrangement.

While not as light or compact, the older Ruger Speed Six, Service Six or Security Six revolvers were common with 2-3/4" barrels and are as sturdy as anvils.

Couldn't find any 3" K-frame .38 barrels at Numrich. If anybody knows of where I can come up with one, preferably a stainless, please advise!

Texas by God
09-21-2016, 06:01 PM
I had a 3" Taurus 85 that was perfect except my wife didn't like it. She sold it to a friend and took my 9mm Shield!

Walkingwolf
09-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Couldn't find any 3" K-frame .38 barrels at Numrich. If anybody knows of where I can come up with one, preferably a stainless, please advise!

Because in it's heyday the 3 inch was not popular. If you don't mind upsetting purists you could have a 4 inch cut down.

Walkingwolf
09-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Back in 2005/2006, I was an AUX officer and my COP got a six shot j framed 32H&R Mag and we reloaded for it and got a nice casted bulet from CNC (local dealer and caster) and it was about the perfect BUG or CCW. And I remember a slew of 32 revolvers about the same time.

Now to aurgue the 6/32 vs 5/38, I don't see it. I personally wouldn't want to mess with reloading for the 32 now, so the 38 makes the cut for me. Or could go the other way and say why not a 22mag with 8 shots?

Now one that I have said all of that, watch a 32 snub come up for sale cheap and I will buy it! LOL

Jerry

I had a HS sentinel 9 shot 22 LR that I carried with stingers for bumming around. It was a good yard gun, but the quality of 22 LR ammo is not what it used to be. All my carry ammo is handloads, I do not trust factories to turn out the quality they once did.

Lefty Red
09-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Wow I hadn't looked at the new prices for those guns and I will be grinding on him next time I see him. I'd like to have that gun!

Or maybe he is asking that much due to the rarity of the gun. I couldn't find a current 9mm model on the S&W site. Everything came up .38/.357.

Here's a pic of my 696 no dash IE: first model with firing pin on hammer. I paid $950 for it with less than 100 rounds thru it and I wouldn't even consider selling it for less. Those guns are real hens teeth and the no dash model is the most desirable, as opposed to the -1 which has the frame mounted FP, and the -2. which has the lock.

The gun I'm talking about looked like a J frame version of this. Doesn't seem like a $700 gun?

Randy

Maybe worth it in 9mm, but I don't want to mess with moon clips.

A steel framed SW revolver is around $650 new. Basic model! Now add factory night sights and trigger job, well $700 doesn't seem that much for such a solid weapon.

I can take my $400 SP101 and send it in to have night sights cut into it and a trigger job, and I'm at $350-$400 dollars! Daley already checked. :)
So $700 for factory work and warranty doesn't seem far fetched.

Beautiful handgun!

Mtnfolk75
09-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Check out XS Sights, I have put a XS Standard Night Sight on both my 9mm LCR & SP101. The SP101 required drilling the sight, the LCR was a straight up change out.

Lefty Red
09-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Check out XS Sights, I have put a XS Standard Night Sight on both my 9mm LCR & SP101. The SP101 required drilling the sight, the LCR was a straight up change out.

I have those on my G26 and G42 and Shield! Or did have it on the Shield, sold it. Big fan of the Big Dot sight system!

We looked at sights and Daley GOOGLED replacement/night sights and we decided on the Metro front sight because it was lower profile and I know the XS will not work with some holsters. And the XS sometimes makes the weapon shoot lower. In fact, I'm looking for a XS for the front sight on my Defender because it shoots high at just 15ft! XS has a winner with the Big Dot.

Mtnfolk75
09-22-2016, 01:17 AM
Standard Dot XS .... :D

fjruple
09-22-2016, 04:23 AM
I prefer a S&W Model 940 Centennial in 9mm which uses 5 round full moon clips. I also have a S&W Model 65 round butt in a 3 inch barrel. If that's too heavy a S&W Model 12 in a 2" inch barrel. Unfortunately a lot of nice older revolvers are no longer produced, Colt Diamondback, Old Model Colt Detective special and Cobra Models.

--fjruple

Lefty Red
09-22-2016, 05:31 AM
Standard Dot XS .... :D

Go big or go home! ;)
i had to check, but have the Standard Dot on my G43.

FergusonTO35
09-22-2016, 08:39 AM
In weather cool enough to wear a jacket I always carry my Glock 26 in a paddle holster. The 26 is currently on loan to my best friend who lost his carry gun in a burglary so the Rossi 461 is going to stand in. I think a six shot .38 with 2-3" barrel is the perfect wheelgun equivalent: small enough to conceal easily with a jacket, large enough to shoot well.

foxtrotter
09-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Ruger LCR with 3" barrel and a hammer either in 357 or 38....

jmort
09-22-2016, 02:47 PM
I wish Ruger made a .357 LCRx - I would have two by now.
I got my daughter the .38 special LCRx
Best factory double action trigger in my opinion.

winelover
09-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Why would anyone want a exposed hammer on a CC piece? :veryconfu

Winelover

Lefty Red
09-22-2016, 02:56 PM
In weather cool enough to wear a jacket I always carry my Glock 26 in a paddle holster. The 26 is currently on loan to my best friend who lost his carry gun in a burglary so the Rossi 461 is going to stand in. I think a six shot .38 with 2-3" barrel is the perfect wheelgun equivalent: small enough to conceal easily with a jacket, large enough to shoot well.

no aurguements here.

jmort
09-22-2016, 02:57 PM
"Why would anyone want a exposed hammer on a CC piece?"

Why do you care what others choose to carry? I just dumped all my external hammer 1911s, Sig 229s, etc. because you are "The" expert in all things not related to you.

Lefty Red
09-22-2016, 02:57 PM
I wish Ruger made a .357 LCRx - I would have two by now.
I got my daughter the .38 special LCRx
Best factory double action trigger in my opinion.

bar none, it is!
a 9mm LCR is in my future I do believe.

Walkingwolf
09-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Winelover

I prefer a hammer on a revolver, but then I do not pocket carry. A hammer allows for a very accurate shot when needed, it also is important for retention on holsters that use a snap system. Most of my carry holsters use a strip of leather, which would be impossible without a hammer. Plus my SA Ruger would be a useless boat anchor without one. To each their own, don't want a hammer, don't have one. Concerned that I want a hammer? Go pound sand.

Lefty Red
09-22-2016, 03:04 PM

Winelover.

Different flavors for different palates.

I was trained to pocket carry a j frame and the hammer was seen as a good thing. I automatically put my thumb over the hammer when drawing, just like swiping the safety on a 1911. It AIDS in keeping the Snubbie in the pocket at times.

Now I carry a 642/442 over a 637, because the 642 was $30 cheaper and looked like it was shot once. I actually would just buy the cheaper of the two. I find both have pros and cons. And to me, neither out weights the other.

Jerry

jmort
09-22-2016, 03:18 PM
"a 9mm LCR is in my future I do believe"

I have two. Do it, you will be happy. Moon Clips are handy as is the 9mm LCR. I used to have 4 J Frames. Now I have one and 4 LCRs

W.R.Buchanan
09-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Turns out that S&W 9 mm Snubby is a 940 not a 640. They are not making them anymore.

Randy

Lefty Red
09-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Turns out that S&W 9 mm Snubby is a 940 not a 640. They are not making them anymore.

Randy

l was wondering and asked a big SW collect today. He said, "where is it at?!?!" So it must not be priced too bad. LOL

Lefty Red
09-22-2016, 05:53 PM
"a 9mm LCR is in my future I do believe"

I have two. Do it, you will be happy. Moon Clips are handy as is the 9mm LCR. I used to have 4 J Frames. Now I have one and 4 LCRs

LOL, I love the j frames and Colt Detectives! But yes, the LCR has brought the Snubbie into the modern age. I will have a couple soon. Just got to get this move and divorce (going on 7 years of court!!!!!) finished up heifer the end of the year. :)

bedbugbilly
09-22-2016, 06:23 PM
I didn't read through all the posts but . . .

How big are her hands/build? My first thought would be a Smith Model 36 with a three inch. They are out there if you look. I normally carry a Model 36 snub but I also have a Model 36 3". Both are easy carry and for most women, would be a good size. My 3" is a square butt - it has Pachmyer (sp?) grips on it and is just a nice sized revolver - shoots well. If she had larger hands, then I'd probably consider a K frame and either switch out the barrel or have one bobbed.

I looked at the SP101, the Smith 60s, etc. when I was looking for a 3" but ran across the Model 36 that I now have. I'm not big on an over abundance of iron on some of the smaller revolvers today - realize they are heavier as they are usually chambered to 357 . . . but all I shoot is 38s in any of my 357s due to age & some arthritis in the hands.

I think I paid in the neighborhood of $350 for my Model 36 j frames and once I got them, I really enjoy them.

winelover
09-23-2016, 07:31 AM
An exposed hammer on a CC piece can get hung up during a draw...... with undesirable consequences.

An exposed hammer can allow pocket lint to, more readily, contaminate the revolvers action.

An exposed hammer might not allow one to fire off a round, without having to remove the firearm from a coat pocket.

An exposed hammer is a crutch for those that can't or won't become proficient with DAO.

It's your life and your choice.

I don't claim to be an expert but the first thing I do, daily, is put a pistol in my pocket and remove it when I get in bed. Try it for six months and you will know what works and what doesn't. Better yet, try it with one that weighs more than 20 ounces, unloaded. It's gets old fast.

Winelover

Lefty Red
09-23-2016, 07:48 AM
I didn't read through all the posts but . . .

How big are her hands/build? My first thought would be a Smith Model 36 with a three inch. They are out there if you look. I normally carry a Model 36 snub but I also have a Model 36 3". Both are easy carry and for most women, would be a good size. My 3" is a square butt - it has Pachmyer (sp?) grips on it and is just a nice sized revolver - shoots well. If she had larger hands, then I'd probably consider a K frame and either switch out the barrel or have one bobbed.

I looked at the SP101, the Smith 60s, etc. when I was looking for a 3" but ran across the Model 36 that I now have. I'm not big on an over abundance of iron on some of the smaller revolvers today - realize they are heavier as they are usually chambered to 357 . . . but all I shoot is 38s in any of my 357s due to age & some arthritis in the hands.

I think I paid in the neighborhood of $350 for my Model 36 j frames and once I got them, I really enjoy them.

if we could find such an animal, me and her and her husband would be carrying it! :)
its about the perfect CCW, IMHO, and they are pretty much extinct around here.
But we have the SP101s to hold us over. Will keep our eyes out for a non collector to carry.

Lefty

Lefty Red
09-23-2016, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=winelover;3786819]An exposed hammer on a CC piece can get hung up during a draw...... with undesirable consequences. True, but if you draw it correctly (like with your thumb on the hammer) it doesn't. Every old timer I knew carried with a hammer exposed, they just didn't have bobbed hammers on production pieces back then. A pocket holster for a Snubbie is just a folded over piece of leather to fit the weapon and keep it long free. I doubt even my Glock Perfection Gen4 G26 will work well if it wasn't in a pocket holster. So it's more about how you carry your CCW then what it is. Any new striker fired semi will jam, just like the Snubbie, if it's not carried correctly or maintained.

An exposed hammer can allow pocket lint to, more readily, contaminate the revolvers action. Oops, answered both statements above. But way is pocket lint an issue when we want it to be and not when we don't want it to be? The newest striker fired semi will misfire when the dreaded pocket lint gets in its openings. Same with even a 642, no pistol is seamless. I suggest you clean your pants, cause you have a pocket lint phobia.

An exposed hammer might not allow one to fire off a round, without having to remove the firearm from a coat pocket. Might is a big word. I personally haven't heard of someone not being able to do such a thing. They is one "cool" thing about the Snubbie, being able to fire while in your pocket. if you are just rehashing what you said before, then it's been directed above.

An exposed hammer is a crutch for those that can't or won't become proficient with DAO shooting. ok, so it it has a hammer then you won't practice DA shooting? Wow! Thats grabbing at straws. Just because a hammer ADDS an option doesn't mean it forfeits the other options.

It's your life and your choice. yes it is. And we all have the idea of what is best for our situation. And this is a thread about snubbies and you have done nothing but tell us your thoughts on way it's a bad thing. I see threads I don't agree with, and I just ignore them and go on. Life is good that way. :)

I don't claim to be an expert but the first thing I do, daily, is put a pistol in my pocket and remove it when I get in bed. Try it for six months and you will know what works and what doesn't. Better yet, try it with one that weighs more than 20 ounces, unloaded. It's gets old fasst. That is good advice! Some of the best I have heard on this thread. To bad it wasn't your only statements.

Winelover/​Lefty Red

FergusonTO35
09-23-2016, 08:39 AM
I can shoot a double action revolver quite well at up close n' personal distance, out to 10 feet or so. All my wheelguns have exposed hammers. Why? I want the option of single action fire because there is a chance I would need to make a precise shot. I live out in the country and we have alot of critters around such as possums, raccoons, skunks, and coyotes. Most of them are smart enough to stay out in the woods, however if one was posing any kind of threat to me, my family, or pets I wouldn't hesitate to whack it. An accurate single action shot is just what you need in that case. Also, what if I found myself in the midst of a terrorist act and the bad guy is 20 or 30 yards away? I have a much greater chance of putting a slug into him firing single action. Even if it just wounds him and slows him down that is a good thing, more time for the innocents to escape.

I do fire my revolvers single action quite a bit so that I will know just where that boolit is likely to go. Snubbies can be very accurate, my 637 certainly is. I practice double action alot too. On the topic of pocket lint and debris: the hammer on my 637 is a very snug fit to the frame. After daily pocket carry for nearly a year I have yet to find any debris get past the hammer. Charter Arms and Ruger used to make hammers with a round, stubby spur that was unlikely to catch anything but could still be cocked manually. A great idea, they should bring it back. My grandfather was jailer of Floyd County, KY for 32 years. His piece of choice was an S&W Bodyguard with pearl grips carried in the back pocket without even a holster. He never had to point it at anyone much less fire it on the job so I have no idea how well he would have done with it.

jmort
09-23-2016, 08:55 AM
Ditto on the above two posts

35remington
09-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Having a hammer that is snagless yet still allows pocket carry and firing is why Smith offers the 638. Guess what I have?

The hammer comes into play when a pest or varmint must be shot at longer distance. A snubbie ain't just for people repellent. If for some reason a precision shot is needed I have more capability of pulling it off than DAO.

The lint complaint is a non starter. Even if you glance at the gun only once in a great while. A puff of air gets rid of it....it's not like pulling a transmission as a chore.

On edit.....in other words plus one on what Ferguson said better than me.

Mtnfolk75
09-24-2016, 12:49 AM
Go big or go home! ;)
i had to check, but have the Standard Dot on my G43.

I like the Standard Dot, haven't had any holster problems with either including Mika Pocket. Those Green Dots sure nice on the nightstand at O'Dark Thirty ..... :mrgreen:

EDIT to add: Regarding the Hammer/No Hammer, ALL my Snubs except the LCR have ALWAYS had shaved Hammers that allow them to be cocked to Single Action as needed ...... [smilie=s:

Another EDIT: Today I installed a Factory Spurless DAO Hammer on my Speed Six, shoots good but not sure I will like the DAO. After some more shooting I may just shave the original hammer and reinstall it.

Piedmont
09-24-2016, 02:04 AM
I used to do a lot of offhand group shooting at 25 yards with various handguns. This was usually two handed and at a commercial range with a staff so the closest range was 25 yards. Mostly this was to keep my hand in but I recorded the results over a long period of time, measuring and recording group sizes. Usually four 5-shot groups were fired.

One of the things I learned that surprised me was I could fire better average groups with a J frame double action than single action. As the guns got heavier this evened out and then switched to better groups SA on the full weight handguns. After verifying this on multiple occasions I quit firing J frames SA and fully embraced Centenial Smiths and bobbed hammer snubbies.

There must be a steadying influence of the smooth DA pull in the very light revolvers.

Some just can't hit anything DA but this is just a matter of practicing.

JMax
09-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Lefty, as promised a photo of an S&W13 that I carried when I was a LEO but has been converted for moon clips or individual rounds:-)

Mtnfolk75
09-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Everytime I hit the range I finish by shooting a 2/3 size Steel B-27 shaped hanger at 50 yards, Single action I'm usually around 100%. Double action is usually in the 60% range, although when I buckle down & spend the day on it is usually near 100% before I'm done :Fire: It is all in consistent training and good trigger control.

Walkingwolf
09-24-2016, 01:33 PM
An exposed hammer on a CC piece can get hung up during a draw...... with undesirable consequences.

An exposed hammer can allow pocket lint to, more readily, contaminate the revolvers action.

An exposed hammer might not allow one to fire off a round, without having to remove the firearm from a coat pocket.

An exposed hammer is a crutch for those that can't or won't become proficient with DAO.

It's your life and your choice.

I don't claim to be an expert but the first thing I do, daily, is put a pistol in my pocket and remove it when I get in bed. Try it for six months and you will know what works and what doesn't. Better yet, try it with one that weighs more than 20 ounces, unloaded. It's gets old fast.

Winelover

I carried a model 64, and a 1911 off duty IWB, and never, not ever, ever, ever, ever had the hammer hang up. I carried a model 36 with a hammer in my uniform pocket, and never, ever, ever had the hammer hang up. But that is me not you, you seem to have issues I don't. I suggest you do what you feel comfortable with, and not worry about others.

Lefty Red
09-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Beautiful pistol!
Great to see several folks they like a good looking wheel gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
09-24-2016, 11:12 PM
Totally agree about the double action pull having a steadying effect on some guns. Quite often I make nicer groups double action, at least at close distance. As mentioned before I actually shoot better with a heavy trigger pull so that plays into it as well.

Lefty Red
09-25-2016, 04:18 AM
Lefty, as promised a photo of an S&W13 that I carried when I was a LEO but has been converted for moon clips or individual rounds:-)

some people want world peace, I just want that! Beautiful weapon!

Lefty Red
09-25-2016, 04:20 AM
Everytime I hit the range I finish by shooting a 2/3 size Steel B-27 shaped hanger at 50 yards, Single action I'm usually around 100%. Double action is usually in the 60% range, although when I buckle down & spend the day on it is usually near 100% before I'm done :Fire: It is all in consistent training and good trigger control.

:drinks:

winelover
09-25-2016, 07:23 AM
I haven't been around for awhile so I decided to stir the pot a bit. :)
i know what I will suggest, but interested in member's thoughts.

I thought you were interested in member's thoughts, apparently not!

Nor, any constructive criticism, to stir the pot.

BTW, if anyone posts pictures of nice bright scratch free, CC pieces, I'm not that gullible to believe that they are carried 24/7

Don't like what I have to say......there is an ignore button.....

Winelover

Lefty Red
09-25-2016, 09:11 AM
I thought you were interested in member's thoughts, apparently not!

Nor, any constructive criticism, to stir the pot.

BTW, if anyone posts pictures of nice bright scratch free, CC pieces, I'm not that gullible to believe that they are carried 24/7

Don't like what I have to say......there is an ignore button.....

Winelover

its right over there. :)

JMax
09-25-2016, 10:18 AM
I think the lad missed that it was converted to use moon clips and was re-blued at that time as it was very well worn.

Petrol & Powder
09-25-2016, 10:21 AM
OK, I didn't read all of the posts but I'm going to chime in.

I have had a long love affair with 3" 38/.357 DA revolvers. They do a lot things really well.
The 3" S&W models 13 or 65 were excellent tools and the 2.75" Ruger Speed-Six was right there with them.

177420Speed-Six (blued) and a S&W model 65

Getting to the OP's search for a 3" DA 38 Special, I personally think the used market may be his best bet. There's a lot out there, you just have to be patient and have the cash in your pocket at the right time.

As much as I like the Speed-Six and 3" K-frames, they are a bit large to be considered "snubbies" in my book. They are excellent revolvers but require a holster and are not deep concealment type guns. I concur that the SP101 with the 3" tube is a bit heavier than it needs to be but it is an excellent gun. A S&W J-frame with a 3" barrel may be a bit more in line with what the OP is seeking. Someone mentioned re-barreling a J-frame and that may be a good option as well if the initial cost for the gun is low enough. The 2.25" S&W 640 is an excellent tool and might be a good option for the OP as well.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of 3" barrels on J-frames. At that point it is no longer a snubnose and I would just step up to a 3" K-frame but I understand where the OP is coming from in his particular search for his female friend.

A J-frame with a round butt and some type of "boot grip" stocks, fixed sights and a bobbed hammer would be a good compromise that was easy to conceal/carry but still have decent sight radius.

As for the issue of hammer spurs, I have strong feelings on that topic. True snub nosed revolvers (barrels less than 2 1/2" ) should NOT have hammer spurs ! There is no reason to ever shoot one of those guns in single action and the having the ability to place one of those guns in single action adds nothing to the usefulness of the gun. I've heard all of the excuses about, "what if I want to make a precise shot?" or "I might want to take a long shot" or "I put my thumb over the hammer spur when I draw the gun so it's ok". I'm not buying any of them.
Snub nosed revolvers are capable of very good accuracy but they aren't carried to be target guns; they are short range self-defense tools. A hammer spur is an impediment on a snubnose revolver. I'm not trying to start an argument, just stating personal opinion and providing some rational for that opinion.

35remington
09-25-2016, 04:10 PM
When offering one's opinion on a subject, it doesn't help one's cause to finish by saying all other possible opinions and choices suck.

Just sayin.' They might not.

Lefty Red
09-25-2016, 08:01 PM
I think we all can agree that there isn't anything, this side of beagle pup, any prettier than a short barrel revolver! :)

Walkingwolf
09-25-2016, 08:24 PM
When offering one's opinion on a subject, it doesn't help one's cause to finish by saying all other possible opinions and choices suck.

Just sayin.' They might not.

Agree, the final say is the person who is carrying. Everybody has their own preferences, I personally like blondes, and redheads.

tazman
09-25-2016, 08:43 PM
I think we all can agree that there isn't anything, this side of beagle pup, they is prettier than a short barrel revolver! :)

Unless it would be a really tight group on a target or possibly the results of a good day hunting.

Mytmousemalibu
09-27-2016, 12:50 AM
Here's my new little 360J and I just love this lightweight little pocket rocket! Hard to beat a scandium Smith for the $430 range! Plus an interesting and mysterious lineage that may make it valuable later in life.

Landy
09-27-2016, 01:05 AM
You've a very nice little wheelgun, there.

Here's my new little 360J and I just love this lightweight little pocket rocket! Hard to beat a scandium Smith for the $430 range! Plus an interesting and mysterious lineage that may make it valuable later in life.

FergusonTO35
09-27-2016, 08:17 AM
Neat piece. There was a used one at a shop here for $400.00. I was tempted but honestly my 637 is as light as I want a .38 to be. Now, if it was a six shot .32 mag I would have snapped it up quick!

Mytmousemalibu
09-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Neat piece. There was a used one at a shop here for $400.00. I was tempted but honestly my 637 is as light as I want a .38 to be. Now, if it was a six shot .32 mag I would have snapped it up quick!

The idea of 6-shot J-frame in say .327 Fed Mag makes me drool a bit! I want a .327 LCR if i can get my hands on one.

The 360J is very light. To be honest the hotter spectrum of .38 loads are pretty snappy in this gun but still manageable, especially with the grip it comes with, I can get all of my fingers on it unlike a little boot grip. This gun has the same frame as a 360 PD which is identical but in .357 and with a titanium cylinder making it even lighter. I don't think I'd even try .357 in it if I had one. Sounds painful.

FergusonTO35
09-27-2016, 04:04 PM
I played around with the .32 H&R Magnum for awhile. Neat cartridge but brass can be tough to find even in comparison to other .32's and all reload data was produced with long barrels in mind. It made more sense to put my limited time and money into .38 Special so down the road it went.

Walkingwolf
09-27-2016, 04:16 PM
I played around with the .32 H&R Magnum for awhile. Neat cartridge but brass can be tough to find even in comparison to other .32's and all reload data was produced with long barrels in mind. It made more sense to put my limited time and money into .38 Special so down the road it went.

I have found S&W long ammo for around 17 bucks for 50, for plinking/practice this is good, and lasts. Some even carry the long for SD with the right load.

I am using starline brass for H&R once past the initial investment the powder, and bullets for 32 really make it affordable. H&R takes much less powder than our 32-20, currently my wife's OC pistol. I bought the Ruger H&R for her but she does not like the thick Ruger grips, so I am carrying it.

Eventually I would like to find a Police Positive in 38spl for her, but prices have skyrocketed on the old Colts. May have to settle for a Charter Arms Police Bulldog.

tazman
09-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Here is my carry gun. Pre lock model 60 in 38 special.
Shoots better than I do.
I trust it with my life on a regular basis.

kenyerian
09-27-2016, 05:43 PM
177646 Somebody mention a Beagle Pup?

bdicki
09-27-2016, 06:20 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/bdicki/DSC00038_zpspvoeot8a.jpg
360-1 357 and Police Positive 38 Special

Lefty Red
09-27-2016, 07:47 PM
I would really seriously look into a 32H&R j frame!

I need more wheel guns and bunny busters! :)

tazman
09-27-2016, 09:28 PM
177646 Somebody mention a Beagle Pup?

Now that is cute!!!!

FergusonTO35
09-28-2016, 08:24 AM
If I get back into the .32 revolver game I would probably use new .32 S&W Long brass instead of the magnum. The faster burning powders you would use in a short barrel don't require that much extra space.

Mytmousemalibu
09-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Some nice pieces there! I like those 3" J-frames but I bet that 360 has a pretty mean demeanor with full house .357 in it!

bdicki
09-29-2016, 10:44 AM
Some nice pieces there! I like those 3" J-frames but I bet that 360 has a pretty mean demeanor with full house .357 in it!
Recoil is not as bad as I expected when I purchased it. Nothing like 300 gr full house loads in my 45 LC Blackhawk.

nockhunter
09-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Here is my carry gun. Pre lock model 60 in 38 special.
Shoots better than I do.
I trust it with my life on a regular basis.

I agree, one of my favorite "outdoors" carry gun.

Mike