PDA

View Full Version : A new revolver(or two or three)...

375supermag
09-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Hi...
Went on a little gun shop tour yesterday.
A local shop had a practically new Ruger BlackHawk in .41Mag with a 6-1/2" barrel for $350.
I really didn't need another .41Mag but I really couldn't pass up that good of a deal.
The grips have been replaced with some rubber Pachmyar or maybe Hogue grips that I will probably replace after a couple of range trips.
I just want to see how well this revolver shoots before I start looking for replacement grips.

While I was there, I had the shop owner order a pair of Cimmaron pre-war SAA clones in.44Spl with 5-1/2" barrels.
He said it might take a few weeks to get them from a distributor if they are available.
I hope they can get them...l have a pair of original Vaqueros in .45Colt but I want a pair of SAA clones in .44Spl and apparently only Cimarron offers such a chambering, but they are not readily available although they do appear in their on-line catalog.
If he can't get them, I will probably buy a pair of Ubertis in .45Colt with the case-hardened frame and brass grip frame. I have been looking at them at a couple of shops for a while but the Cimarron's in .44Spl are my first choice.

waco
09-18-2016, 12:18 PM
I have an Evil Roy SAA clone in 45Colt. I really like the fit, finish, action, and trigger on this gun. I would buy a Cimmaron again in a heart beat.

LeadHead72
09-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Great find! I so badly "NEED" a S&W model 57 or 657 in .41 Mag. Sadly, I have no idea when a local gun shop has last had one around here.

rintinglen
09-18-2016, 07:50 PM
The 41 Magnum and the 40 S&W are two calibers that I have managed to turn my back on, but right at this moment I am sternly resisting the siren call of a S&W 357 M-27-2.
must resist..... must...

375supermag
09-19-2016, 10:50 AM
The 41 Magnum and the 40 S&W are two calibers that I have managed to turn my back on, but right at this moment I am sternly resisting the siren call of a S&W 357 M-27-2.
must resist..... must...

I understand your reluctance to try new calibers.
I avoided the .40S&W for years because I didn't think I needed another caliber to load for and I have a healthy dislike of polymer handguns.
A couple years ago, I finally succumbed to an interest in trying a new caliber and bought a S&W M&P 40. I actually was impressed with the .40S&W when shooting the 180gr factory loads and the M&P has been flawless and quite accurate. My son bought me a drop-in 9mm barrel and while the accuracy has been excellent, it will require quite a bit more work until it functions flawlessly. I am now set up to reload .40S&W and am quite happy I decided to try a new caliber and platform.

Bottom line...it never hurts to try new things. You may actually learn something and have an enjoyable time doing it. I know I did.

375supermag
09-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Great find! I so badly "NEED" a S&W model 57 or 657 in .41 Mag. Sadly, I have no idea when a local gun shop has last had one around here.

Hi...My second .41Mag was a S&W M57 that I bought as part of a package deal that included a M25 in .45Colt and A M29 Classic Deluxe that an older gentleman was selling at a LGS.
I got all three for $900, so my M57 basically cost me $300. My first BlackHawk in .41Mag was bought from a friend for $125.

The .41Mag is probably my favorite caliber, although it gets a lot of competition from the .44Spl and .45Colt.

My advice is have your local gun shops find one for you...the cartridge does not get the credit or attention it deserves. I have found the cartridge to be easy to load for and accurate whether loaded with moderate or near-max loads with 215gr LSWC cast bullets or Hornady 215gr HP/XTPs. I have used Unique, 2400, Blue Dot and W296/H110 with excellent results when the proper charge was found.