PDA

View Full Version : Sizing coated bullets

AbitNutz
09-18-2016, 02:42 AM
Sizing hard cast coated bullets doesn't sound like the easiest thing in the world. I saw one guy had an open C-type press mounted upside down and used a 7/8-14 Lee cast bullet sizer die. It was one of those Lee Reloader presses. They don't even have a name. They just call it the Lee Reloader Press. You know, the ones that literally cost $32.00 new. Now I'm not a reloading snob but my equipment is. There would be a revolution on my bench if I bolted one of them to it, even upside down.

I'm starting out using my Star but I am really concerned that sizing a very hard bullets through it may be unkind to it. I mean, we're talking linotype hard and then Hi-Tek coated.

I like the upside down press idea. I like the open C-type press idea...I like the idea of 7/8-14 bullet sizer die idea but pot metal gives me hives.

What are you folks doing to size hard, coated bullets?

farmerjim
09-18-2016, 06:58 AM
Lee push through die on a rock chucker. If they are a bit hard I spray them with a small amount of hornady one shot.

sparky45
09-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Lee push through die on a rock chucker. If they are a bit hard I spray them with a small amount of hornady one shot.

+1 for Jim's suggestion.

OS OK
09-18-2016, 10:13 AM
If you wanna know how to fix something...ask a farmer! + 1 ^

Budzilla 19
09-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Also use the Lee push through dies on a RCBS RC II! If a little tough I clean the die thoroughly, then use a little Imperial sizing die wax on my fingers every few boolits. Just my way. One day I might try that upside down method to do 38 wad cutters. Looks really easy.

BossMaverick
09-18-2016, 02:53 PM
+1 for Jim's suggestion.

+2

I thought that I was a genius but apparently I wasn't the only one. The one shot makes PC bullets extremely slick.

Ausglock
09-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Try one of these.
Use HITEK sizing lube.
http://vid193.photobucket.com/albums/z222/glock40sw/2014-08-29_17-48-09_137.mp4

AbitNutz
09-18-2016, 05:40 PM
I wanted something that I could just drop a bullet down into...like a Star or upside down mounted press. I also want something that was as open as I could get...like a C-style press. The R/C is a great press and will certainly do the job. I just want as much open space as possible around it....like the pot metal Lee press...but not pot metal.

OS OK
09-18-2016, 06:05 PM
I use one of those pot metal Lees for de-priming exclusively, it's pathetic, have to keep it lubed up as it's almost worn out around the ram. My other presses are always complaining about its presence on the bench.

AbitNutz
09-18-2016, 07:39 PM
I use one of those pot metal Lees for de-priming exclusively, it's pathetic, have to keep it lubed up as it's almost worn out around the ram. My other presses are always complaining about its presence on the bench.

See! See! This will only cause the other machines to rise up against us!

Ausglock
09-18-2016, 07:51 PM
That Lee "POT METAL" C press of mine has been used to size over 100,000 bullets and still going strong. A bit worn in the ram/body clearances, but still sizes perfectly.

OS OK
09-18-2016, 07:53 PM
I go down to the shop and find a towel thrown over it all the time..."How do they do that?"

OS OK
09-18-2016, 07:59 PM
That Lee "POT METAL" C press of mine has been used to size over 100,000 bullets and still going strong. A bit worn in the ram/body clearances, but still sizes perfectly.

Heck, that ain't no big deal...you're 'down under'...everybody knows there ain't no gravity down there! No wonder your stuff last longer!

Pumpkinheaver
09-18-2016, 08:44 PM

I do the same but without the one shot.

AbitNutz
09-19-2016, 12:37 AM
Ok, I guess I am a machine snob. I admit it...I do like the Lee carbide crimp die though. I use it in my Dillon 650. I don't like their rubber o-ring lock rings. They seem to really go hard and stiffen up after a few years...

yeah. yeah, trying to change the subject.
I do think, for the most part, Lee is given a bad rap but sometimes the stereotype is exactly right...on the other hand, Redding is waaay over rated. Some of the Redding dies I have bought recently were halfbaked.

OS OK
09-19-2016, 09:26 AM
'Uh oh' ... Here we go again, it's 'Re-do Red' against 'Halfbaked Green' ...I've seen this fight before!...:bigsmyl2:

RogerDat
09-19-2016, 12:38 PM
One can often pick up older C presses for prices comparable to the new Lee's. Post in wanted to buy thread of Swapping and Selling forum here and you should have some choices in no time. Lot of extra or spare C presses sitting around in reloading rooms. Personally I would not dismiss the Lee C press but if you are worried about it you could always by the Lee "O" press, not going to break either the press or the bank with that choice. Good hand room there too.

I use a little of the Lee sizing wax on about ever third bullet and that helps a lot. I would also note that I use the sizing lube when seating gas checks BEFORE powder coat because it is water soluble and washes off with just hot water to leave bullet clean for PC coating. I tend to inspect and line up 10 -25 at a time before running them through sizer so I just wipe a little lube on ever third one as I inspect it. Spray on sizing lube might work better. The Lee can be cut with water for spraying but that seems like a hassle.

fingers284
09-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Ok, I guess I am a machine snob. I admit it...I do like the Lee carbide crimp die though. I use it in my Dillon 650. I don't like their rubber o-ring lock rings. They seem to really go hard and stiffen up after a few years...

yeah. yeah, trying to change the subject.
I do think, for the most part, Lee is given a bad rap but sometimes the stereotype is exactly right...on the other hand, Redding is waaay over rated. Some of the Redding dies I have bought recently were halfbaked.

Likewise on the lee locking rings with the "o" ring...simple fix for them...remove, turn up-side down, re-install, use the same as all other makes of lock rings.

fredj338
09-19-2016, 07:33 PM
I wanted something that I could just drop a bullet down into...like a Star or upside down mounted press. I also want something that was as open as I could get...like a C-style press. The R/C is a great press and will certainly do the job. I just want as much open space as possible around it....like the pot metal Lee press...but not pot metal.

I use the very same cheap Lee C press mounted to a chunk of 2x12 & then upside down on my bench with C clamps. Put a box under it & away you go. I still have my Star but figure the cheap Lee sizing dies are worth it for my bulk bullet sizing.

AbitNutz
09-24-2016, 05:42 PM
I found the perfect press....lurking in my reloading stash. It's an old Pacific Super Mag. It has an open front, three rams, linkage that attaches to the top like the Redding Ultra Mag and...wait for it...you can turn the toggle around so the press stroke can be reversed. That means if I mount the press upside down I can still push down on the handle instead of lifting up.

So each time I push the handle down, 3 bullets will drop out of three Lee sizing dies. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to mount this upside down. There's a large reinforcement fin/rib running from top to bottom. This is not going to be a straightforward bolt down. I think I'm going to use steel plate that's thick enough to not flex when a 35lb press is hanging off the bottom of it. Maybe 3/8ths...

Tackleberry41
09-29-2016, 03:58 PM
The lees do have their uses. That cheap open type they sell works fine for seating bullets or priming, I just keep a priming set up always on the one I have, its screwed to a chunk of wood, clamps to the kitchen table if need be. I size in the heavier Lee cast iron, bought it as I needed the larger 1 1/4 dies for my 577/450. And now for sizing. I just give PCd bullets a spritz of wd40 and run em thru. No need for anything fancy or over thinking.

GONRA
09-29-2016, 04:56 PM
Guess you guys are discussing the Lee Reloader Press 90045 ?
With purchased (7/8-14 threaded shell holders, priming rods)
and custom parts these can be used for
"Top Priming" with Big Fat .50 BMG, 8mm Berdan and 9mm Berdan primers.

Can be modified for Other Cool Stuff too....

PAT303
09-29-2016, 11:25 PM
Tell me more about top priming?,I've been trying to find a way to prime/deprime 303 cases modified to use 209 shotshell primers. Pat

daloper
09-30-2016, 02:10 PM
I will ask a newbe question. I want to try pc some 9mm. I have a lee mold that is .356. If I size after powder coating is it best to use a sizing die that is .356 or should I get one that is .357. I read that the powder coating doesn't add much to the bullet but I does want to take the coating off with the sizer. Is that not a problem with powder coating?

WFO2
10-01-2016, 10:23 PM
I size before and after . On my hollow points I mounted one of the above mentioned lee pot metal C presses on a 2X8 upside down clamped to my bench so I nose first size . On my SWC I use the Lee sizing red containers things on a Lee classic cast .

BILLYBOB44
10-02-2016, 11:01 AM
I will ask a newbe question. I want to try pc some 9mm. I have a lee mold that is .356. If I size after powder coating is it best to use a sizing die that is .356 or should I get one that is .357. I read that the powder coating doesn't add much to the bullet but I does want to take the coating off with the sizer. Is that not a problem with powder coating?

I do like to size to .357" after the PC.

I use my Lyman 450, and .357" die with the stem removed-I pass through the bottom of the die and out the bottom of the Lyman 450.

There are threads here on how to adapt a RCBS, or Lyman lubersizer to pass through..Works for me....Bill.

W.R.Buchanan
10-02-2016, 02:06 PM
I got one of the Perfessor's Lyman Sizing Die Adapters when he was making them. It screws into my Rockchucker and you push the boolits up thru it. Runs just as fast as you can sit the boolits on top of the pusher and work the handle. If you set the die up so that the press is camming over center as the boolit is going thru the die it gives you the maximum Mechanical Advantage and it's pretty easy. I do the same thing when De-Bulging .40S&W brass and it works the same way.

I had never used this tool before because it had no way to lube the boolits.

However it works perfectly for sizing P/C'd boolits (no lube necessary :mrgreen:) and I have ran about 200 of the ones I've done my testing on, thru it with no problems whatsoever. Uses existing Lyman Dies which I have a bunch of.

They go right thru the die and end up in a pop bottle that is screwed into the top piece. Keith had the good sense to make the bottle adapter with the Universal Soda Bottle Thread so you can use any bottle with a twist off cap you choose. I chose a fizzy water bottle so I didn't have to clean it out first.

Randy

popper
10-02-2016, 04:54 PM
I've never had a problem with PC getting scraped off during sizing unless the sizer is dirty. Clean it with chore boy/ brush or some polishing compound. No problem sizing in Lee classic cast - no lube needed - even when sizing 26+ BHN boolits. 357 or larger is normal for 9mm.