PDA

View Full Version : Good use for a dead deer

Gussy
06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Road kill special.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/jimc99328/jerky2.jpg

nighthunter
06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Its called food around these parts. Good lookin stuff you made of it. Looks like jerky to me. I hope it was a Dodge that killed it.
Nighthunter

Gussy
06-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Its called food around these parts. Good lookin stuff you made of it. Looks like jerky to me. I hope it was a Dodge that killed it.
Nighthunter

Actually it was a 25-06 last deer season!! I call it road kill to keep it from being devoured before I can get to it.

yondering
06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
You had me wondering if you scraped it from the road in strips like that! :mrgreen:

The 25-06 does make it sound more edible!

EMC45
06-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Did you use a jerky shooter? I cut mine of the bone and marinate it. It turns out awesome!

Gussy
06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Did you use a jerky shooter? I cut mine of the bone and marinate it. It turns out awesome!

Yes. I use the scraps after I get the steaks and roasts off. Everything else is ground with a little beef fat. I mix a bunch of spice in then take a small pattie and microwave it to taste the mix. When I have what I like, I shoot it on butcher paper (the poly side), dry it until it is easy to get off in one piece, flip it off the paper and onto the screens to finish drying. I've screwed up a few batches until I went to the microwave taste testing system.

On part of the batch, the one in the photo, I sprinkled fresh, course ground pepper on it then pat the strips to make sure the pepper sticks. Sure is good. I'm taking a batch with me to a black powder shoot. It'll go good with the evening BS and beer sessions.

eka
06-06-2008, 08:46 AM
I was thinking you had peeled those strips from the tire tread. :mrgreen:

Ricochet
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I hope it was a Dodge that killed it.
I used to drive an '83 Ramcharger. It came with instructions on it, for the driver and for others. On the dash inside it said "RAM." On the front, it said "DODGE."

Mumblypeg
06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm still laughing... At's aw ot etter an thun un I add.(Lipless)

Thumbcocker
06-07-2008, 11:46 AM
I am not aboove scarfing a fresh road kill in cold weather. I have worked out a method of skinning from the back down (like Summers did buff in "The Big Sky") where I can cut out the backstraps, cut off both shoulders, and the hams without having to gut the critter. Just dispose of the body with the head attached.

Makes good jerky. Better me and the family than the coyotes.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I love jerky. I bought one of those big dehydrators from Cabelas and can load around 50 lbs of meat at a time.

piwo
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I am not aboove scarfing a fresh road kill in cold weather. I have worked out a method of skinning from the back down (like Summers did buff in "The Big Sky") where I can cut out the backstraps, cut off both shoulders, and the hams without having to gut the critter. Just dispose of the body with the head attached.

There's a site on the net that shows step by step that method for taking the meat from bull elk. Site represents you're not leaving enough meat to even worry about. I've never shot one, so wouldn't know firsthand. Does look effective at removing large chunks of meat, 8-) (but leaving the loins). :(

Of course, Missouri poachers have been using that method probably forever. Saw my first carcass like that in a WashingtonCounty field back in the early '70's the morning after we heard a gunshot in the middle of the night. Fewer things more effective then a Potosi poacher.:mad: Like most things I suppose, that what can be used effectively for good, can be used for bad as well.

MT Gianni
06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
The back skinning is illegal in MT and known as the "Poachers Cut". Too much edible meat is left. Gianni

piwo
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
S'pouse the techniques best use is to salvage fresh road killed deer. Good technique for saving something otherwise un-usable..........

nighthunter
06-11-2008, 05:23 PM
One time while heading north to fish for steelhead in Lake Erie my brother hit a deer with his Dodge Aspen. The weather was pretty chilly for that time of the year. We gutted the deer and hid it along the road. We picked it up the next day on our return home. When we skinned it the only sign of being a road kill was a piece of chrome stuck in its side. Less damage than with a cast bullet. Not much damage to the vehicle either. This was 25 years ago when vehicles had some real metal in them. My rule since then has been that there is a heck of a lot of meat rotting by the side of the road. If it ain't splattered I'll stop and take a look.
Nighthunter