PDA

View Full Version : PP lube

bigted
09-17-2016, 08:01 PM
so been playin with paper patch off n on for awhile and have a question fer EB's here.

do you all lube the patched boolits every time prior to loading them?

if so ... what lube and how applied?

i have never been able to wring the proper accuracy out of patched boolits to suit myself ... but they are plenty for hunting i spose ... just have need to get the bragged about jacketed type accuracy i read about in places like this one.

thanks for the reply's in advance.

rfd
09-18-2016, 08:18 AM
fwiw, i'm just getting into ppb for black powder and i'm using a patched bore rider bullet. i have read and been told by those well in-the-know with ppb not to lube the patching as it could easily mitigate the paper, stick it to the bullet, and hamper its release upon leaving the muzzle. i suspect this will be true for land grooved sized ppb, too. my intial .45-2.1 bp loads are with dry paper wrapped slicks, with the ppb at not less than .0005" under bore, no grease cookie and just a .060" ldpe wad over about 73 grains of lightly compressed swiss 1-1/2f. i'd do the same with smokeless, only no wad. in both instances the bullet needs a taper crimp just to hold it in place, but no official OAL required since these are bore riders. if i was doing smokeless with an over bore sized ppb, the OAL will be very important, and either it'd have the bullet into the rifling or just before it, and taper crimped. hope this helps a bit?

Hardcast416taylor
09-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Having the correct bore diameter even with a patched boolet is still very important. I lube my patched boolet with Johnson`s Paste Wax when I do a push thru sizing step and that is all the lubing I do.Robert

bigted
09-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks to both replys.

I do have the fundamental understanding between smokeless requirements and the black powder requirements ... Whole different cat as the BP gives a large enough kick in the posterior to obturate the boolit for a rifling grabbing correctness. However with this smokeless it be a bit different requirements.

I have seen here and other places the step of lubing the patched boolit but i wonder with what and how ... As well as is this a requirement for both accuracy and keeping the paper on the trip thru the barrel.

I have heard of the Johnsons car wax before ... Do you use it rite outta the container and smeared on with fingers or do you melt it to use?

My understanding is to get a boolit of the just slightly larger then bore and wrapping to just throat size so it just snugs into a slightly flaired fired case.

country gent
09-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Again I load bore riders with black powder so this may or may not apply. I give the bullets a light wipe of JoJoba oil when hand seating them. A drop on the finger does 3-4 bullets then any excess is wiped off with a patch. A very light coat is all thats applied. The paper just picks up a shine doesnt become transparent or oily looking. I have also wet wrapped using a 4parts water to 1 part lee sizing die wax ( the water souluable lube) and when dry the remaining case lube is in the paper to lube it and help water proof it a little also. Alot depends on whether you want to do. Is this to strictly lube the bullets passage, or to water proof the patch? The JoJoBa oil can be found in the natural foods area of some supermarkets and health food stores. A little bit goes a long ways

Hardcast416taylor
09-19-2016, 04:48 PM
Right outa the can for the JPW, a light wipe on the dried wet wrapped boolet before final push thru sizing so the patched boolet won`t hang up due to being dry. This also gives some what of a lubed aspect and water proofs the patch. Remember a crimp on a PP boolet in the case is also called the cause of erratic accuracy in many cases.Robert

rfd
09-19-2016, 05:58 PM
... Remember a crimp on a PP boolet in the case is also called the cause of erratic accuracy in many cases.Robert

but a slight taper crimp is necessary for a bore rider bullet, correct?

country gent
09-19-2016, 08:50 PM
I dont "crimp" a PP bullet as I am afraid of cutting the paper. I use a bushing die and bushing to size the neck to the fit I want. When possible I size around the bullet in the case with the bushing dies. On a bore rider thats .008-.010 smaller than actual bullet dia the neck should be sized to match the new bullet dia. Same as the groove dia throat dia bullets should be sized for the light interference fit. A taper crimp is better than a roll crimp but may still leave a edge to degrade the patch at times.

Hardcast416taylor
09-19-2016, 09:23 PM
After I seat the PP boolet to desired depth I use a LEE factory crimp die to only straighten out the `bell` on the case mouth. I had used a seater die from an older die set for this job, but like the way I can restrict how much I straighten the bell out with the LEE. This suits the way I load, others do it differently to meet their needs.Robert

bigted
09-19-2016, 10:08 PM
awsome. thanks for the hints. the Ruger 375 will get a workout this coming Sat. if all goes well. my fired cases measure .3785 inch and this seems just rite to seat the .380 inch wrapped boolits. the groove diameter is .375 so i am a bit worried about the taper into the rifling as i hope my paper will get squished instead of stripping like the last bunch did.

think i wrapped them [ the previous patched boolits i tryed] a little small tho and i believe they had gas blowby and thusly burned/buggered the patch before it got into the rifling. another thing is they were completely dry with no lube whatsoever.

ones i have loaded now are seated dry and then some Lee alox smeared onto the paper that is above the case ... about 1/4 to 3/8ths inch. they are the RCBS 37-250 boolits sized .372 and wrapped wet to .380 inch when dry and snugged to the boolit. those wavy grease grooves make a great anchor for the paper. they drop from the mold at .377 inch so very little is actually sized down.

would sure like to make this run on PP boolits. be very cool to run em at above 2000 fps and no lead with the soft boolits. my load now will push em around the 2K foot mark so here is hoping they will hit the barn ... somewhere ... 8-)

rfd
09-19-2016, 10:28 PM
it's all about how you adjust the die for the "crimp" ......

09-20-2016, 12:34 PM
I've never had any problems lubing my PPB's just slightly with T/C's muzzleloader's lube. Just enough to prevent subsequent sizing from damaging the paper patch. I do several: for a .375 H&H I size the boolit to .375, add two wraps of common copy paper (#20 paper), and run it, when dry, through a .377 sizer. I should note that I size the nose to .269 before I do the paper patching. Just enough to make it a bore rider of sorts with the paper patch. That T/C lube is some slippery stuff and I seem to always have a burst of confetti at the muzzle. Works for me.

bigted
09-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the helpfull hints

bigted
09-20-2016, 03:48 PM
725 ... What kinda accuracy with your patched 375 boolits? Also what is bore/groove/throate measurements like? Do you size your cases first?<br><br>Howz that for questions? LOL