PDA

View Full Version : Fixing an RCBS auto prime that jams

Clark
09-17-2016, 02:56 PM

My new RCBS auto primer will not feed a single primer and flings them all over the room. If I reduce the protrusion of the primer tube out of the bottom of the primer arm from ~ 0.090" to ~0.050", the auto prime always works perfectly. I can do this with just a piece tape, but I also cut a piece of tubing that I tape in place a little more permanently.

There was a video on youtube I can't find, where the guy made a damper so his auto prime would not fling primers.

VHoward
09-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Never had that problem with mine. Did you contact RCBS and give them a chance to make it right? Mine worked right straight out of the box.

Jon K
09-17-2016, 10:45 PM
RCBS Lifetime warranty ...no BS

OS OK
09-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Be more gentle in the lever actuation, when I get too much in a hurry mine will fling one out too.

Clark
09-17-2016, 11:46 PM
I did not call RCBS. I should. When I try to give a company feedback, they often just want to send me something to get rid of me.

VHoward
09-18-2016, 12:09 AM
RCBS wants to send you free replacement parts so that your equipment works like it is supposed to.

seagiant
09-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Hi,
I know what it is!

On the large and small primer holder (metal not the aluminum tube!)

You will see a small hole on the shaft. stick a paper clip there and use it to tighten down the punch in the base!

Your punch has unscrewed and is now to high! Try it!

BCB
09-18-2016, 06:59 PM
Hi,
I know what it is!

On the large and small primer holder (metal not the aluminum tube!)

You will see a small hole on the shaft. stick a paper clip there and use it to tighten down the punch in the base!

Your punch has unscrewed and is now to high! Try it!

I agree 100%...

Mine did the same thing with the small primers...

I now just tighten them each time I use them...

Good-luck...BCB

VHoward
09-18-2016, 11:04 PM
You guys could put a smidge of blue lock tight on the threads before you put them together and tighten them. Then they don't come loose.

Clark
09-18-2016, 11:30 PM

In my case the 12 primer rod assembly small is screwed together tightly.
Still small primers fly all over the room.
In the tolerance build up loop there are 7 places to make a change.
Knowing that the large primer tube feeds, and trying not to change it's tolerance loop, there are only 5 places I can adjust; 4 of those involve removing metal. One is just adding a piece of tape.

seagiant
09-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Hi,
The Primer rod Assembly (12) is what I'm talking about!

If that does not fix it, I would call the nice lady at RCBS and send it back!

The beauty of these primers is how well they work!!!!

OS OK
09-19-2016, 07:28 AM
My new RCBS auto primer will not feed a single primer...

Is there a tiny burr inside the tube where the cotter pin clip thingie goes through?
A newbie trainee put a scratch inside my large tube trying to replace the clip at the wrong angle and gouged it...the primers hung up there. I put a small shank phillips screwdriver in there and rolled it around and that fixed it.