PDA

View Full Version : Webley Pin Gauge Measurements - .38S&W and .455

Bigslug
09-17-2016, 01:58 PM
I had the pin gauge set out checking the family wheelgun bores for frame crush, so I figured I'd do a public service post for the collective knowledge of the Webley and .38S&W brethren without the gadgets to easily check their own.

The .455 is a clean 1917 specimen with a nice shiny bore. The bore diameter pinned out at .441". The throats are all .448", with the .449" gauge stopping about an eighth-inch shy of the cylinder face. As I recall (data not handy) the groove diameter slugged out at .450". Nice thing I've got that hollow-base mold! There might be a reaming in this thing's future, though the sense of "preserve for historical interest" runs strong in me.

The .38 is a WWII "WAR FINISH" MKIV in great shape. Glad I gauged it, as it turns out there's a slight tightening of the bore just in from the crown that I'll need to figure out how to precisely locate and carefully lap out. Running the gauges from the rear gave a good fit with the .352" pin, right up to that pre-crown obstruction. Throats are all at .360". Again, the slugging data for groove diameter isn't handy, but this one didn't have the throats-smaller-than-groove issues that the .455's are known for.

Make use of it as you will. :drinks:

Outpost75
09-17-2016, 02:58 PM
The .455, for clarification do I understand correctly that is a Webley Mk.VI made in 1917 and not an S&W .455 Hand Ejector?

Bigslug
09-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Correct - gun in question is a Webley MKVI.