PDA

View Full Version : Value of old S&W breaktop.

Tackleberry41
09-17-2016, 11:23 AM
The little shop had a breaktop in the case. Original S&W, double action in 32, says short on the tag. Has a long barrel, the push up later model latch, tag says never fired, in beautiful shape. They want $499 for it.

376Steyr
09-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Here are some guys with a problem similar to yours: http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-antiques/181948-32-s-w-top-break-5-shot-revolver-need-help.html
If you're thinking about it as an "investment", I'd be extra cautious about a 100+ year old gun that looks too good. It may have been refinished during its long life.
If you want it as a shooter, I say "yield to temptation, you may not get a second chance".

Tackleberry41
09-17-2016, 12:58 PM
I was mostly curious. It would just be another caliber to buy dies and brass for. And the barrel is a bit long for the gun, hard to call it a target gun with sights it has. I had a hard time believing it was unfired, 100yrs and nobody ever put a round thru it? Not saying the shop is yanking me around, not that kind of place, just took who ever traded it ins word. The hinge did not seem especially tight, and had a bit more cylinder play than I would want. It would be a $500 toy, I have a whole list of more important things I need to buy.

NoZombies
09-18-2016, 01:09 AM
If there's a turn ring on the cylinder, even a faint one, if any of the moving parts show even a tiny bit of finish loss, I'd be hard pressed to call something "unfired" if the hinge was loose, It would be very hard to.

I would only consider that price to be fair if it was a rare variant (6" barrel is certainly uncommon, not sure about rare) or was in perfect shape in the original box.

Tackleberry41
09-18-2016, 09:01 AM
I went and looked it over more. The edges on the cylinder pawl are still sharp, rough edges on the firing pin, no ring on the cyl. Does have the much less common long barrel. But not something I need.

johnson1942
09-18-2016, 11:08 AM
dont be the guy who years later kicks your self in the butt because you passed it up. buy it even if you have to go to the bank and get a short term loan. their are two guns i kick my self for not buying years ago, dont join this club. one is a rolling block for 275 dollars, and the other a real colt precussion army.

dtknowles
09-18-2016, 01:04 PM
I think the price is only important after you decide why you would buy it. Is the main reason you are buying it as an investment? If so will you never fire it, unfired is only valuable if it is to remain that way.

Are you buying it to fill a hole in your collection?

Can you think of any other gun you would rather have for that $500?

Could you just go buy a shooter off GunBroker or some place for less money?

Hey, I think it is a great gun but I only buy shooters and will not pay a premium for unfired, that is for collectors. I also will not shoot unfired antiques, they aren't making new ones for the collectors.

Tim

quail4jake
09-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Can you send pics? This sounds like a 3rd or 4th model Safety hammerless, which would be unusual with a 6" barrel...Value? If you already load .32 S&W it would be a great addition to fire and enjoy but if you don't it may be a PIA and disappointing performance. As far as investment value, a genuinely unfired one with S&W Ray Jinks letter and some nice trimmings like a flocked custom case or original box may appreciate gradually but otherwise they're very common and not useful as a defense weapon...probably flat value maybe losing some. I have several of these in .32 and .38, they're very well made and a pleasure to shoot and I don't think I've paid more than $350 for any of them. Let me know if you buy it, I would like to see pics and hear your impression!

Tackleberry41
09-18-2016, 02:12 PM
It has a hammer, so not that one particular model. Has a trigger guard. So makes it a DA model 2.

I do not buy guns as investments, if I cant shoot it, has little value to me. So yes if I did buy it, would lose money putting rounds thru it. Might be worth $500 to a collector to put on a shelf.

Its a neat gun, but tons of other things that need money. It would just be a toy. If it had a shorter barrel might be more useful, but a long barrel in that caliber with the rudimentary sights, just seems a bit pointless.

Maybe if I could do a longer lay away, but hard for me to come up with $500 cash with my budget. Be different if I hadnt shelled out $2k to a lawyer fighting my ex. Tho if she coughs up the money she owes and child support be another situation.

At least ammo isnt that bad, they had 50 rd box of wadcutters for $23. I would just need dies, since I have 2 90gr .311 molds.

dtknowles
09-18-2016, 06:38 PM
It has a hammer, so not that one particular model. Has a trigger guard. So makes it a DA model 2.

I do not buy guns as investments, if I cant shoot it, has little value to me. So yes if I did buy it, would lose money putting rounds thru it. Might be worth $500 to a collector to put on a shelf.

Its a neat gun, but tons of other things that need money. It would just be a toy. If it had a shorter barrel might be more useful, but a long barrel in that caliber with the rudimentary sights, just seems a bit pointless.

Maybe if I could do a longer lay away, but hard for me to come up with $500 cash with my budget. Be different if I hadnt shelled out $2k to a lawyer fighting my ex. Tho if she coughs up the money she owes and child support be another situation.

At least ammo isnt that bad, they had 50 rd box of wadcutters for $23. I would just need dies, since I have 2 90gr .311 molds.

I could be wrong but I don't think they made .32 S&W loaded with wadcutters just LRN, you must have seen .32 S&W Long.

Tim

Tackleberry41
09-18-2016, 07:46 PM
The ammo at the shop they had 2 brands, both say '32 S&W' on the box. One was a wadcutter, the other a RN.

I dont see me buying the gun. Putting a single round thru it cuts its value. Its a toy I have little need of. But would be interesting to have.

Doc1
09-18-2016, 09:25 PM
On a related note, I have often thought that break open revolvers had a lot more potential than the designers and manufacturers ultimately decided to take the basic design. While not inherently strong designs, I believe that modern manufacturers and modern materials could do magic with the breaktops, just as Ruger did with percussion revolvers in the Old Army. With modern engineering and metallurgy I see no absolute reasons why reliable, strong and safe breaktops could not be manufactured in .357 or .44 Mag. I think the novelty and "cool" factors alone would drive sales.

Best regards
Doc

Oyeboten
09-19-2016, 01:53 AM
On a related note, I have often thought that break open revolvers had a lot more potential than the designers and manufacturers ultimately decided to take the basic design. While not inherently strong designs, I believe that modern manufacturers and modern materials could do magic with the breaktops, just as Ruger did with percussion revolvers in the Old Army. With modern engineering and metallurgy I see no absolute reasons why reliable, strong and safe breaktops could not be manufactured in .357 or .44 Mag. I think the novelty and "cool" factors alone would drive sales.

Best regards
Doc

I think you'rs right about that.

Even in .38 Special and .44 Special, they'd be a real hit with a good many people...especially if there were some fun choices for barrel length...I know I'd sure want one! Or two...or three..!

Tackleberry41
09-19-2016, 07:56 AM
The S&W design is a good one. And fast to load for sure. I have a full size Uberti copy in 45 colt, speedloaders work with it. Alot easier to load that way than where the cyl comes out the side, and ambidextrious. With some modern thought and techniques could make some really nice guns. Maybe not hand cannons, I would like one in 38 spcl, yea Uberti makes one, but its still a full size gun they just drill smaller holes in it. But gun companies know that something new or out of the box is often not well received. So they stick with what sells.

An issue I have with the one at the shop is the barrel. Its way to long for what it is. Its a 32S&W doubt it needs 6 in of barrel, it looks ungainly with the small frame and the long barrel.

Tackleberry41
09-19-2016, 12:45 PM
I guess I come back to my original question, is that gun worth the $500? Its in such nice shape, but I know it will lose value firing it. Which I would certainly do.

quail4jake
09-30-2016, 11:28 PM
Good point, Tackleberry, about the 6" bbl . I have a 6" .32 S&W and there is no MV gain over a 3" revolver on the chronograph although it does group a little better @25yds. That's not true of the .38 S&W, in which the 6" bbl gains about 60 fps over the 4" bbl using a trail boss and 145gr LRN.

The S&W design is a good one. And fast to load for sure. I have a full size Uberti copy in 45 colt, speedloaders work with it. Alot easier to load that way than where the cyl comes out the side, and ambidextrious. With some modern thought and techniques could make some really nice guns. Maybe not hand cannons, I would like one in 38 spcl, yea Uberti makes one, but its still a full size gun they just drill smaller holes in it. But gun companies know that something new or out of the box is often not well received. So they stick with what sells.

An issue I have with the one at the shop is the barrel. Its way to long for what it is. Its a 32S&W doubt it needs 6 in of barrel, it looks ungainly with the small frame and the long barrel.

bouncer50
10-01-2016, 12:09 AM
My question to you what are you planing to do with it. A safe queen or shoot it. Like this guy i know bought a brand new Harley he never drove it. It just sit in his garage and him and few friends drink beer and look at. Art works is something to put on the wall and look at. Cars, Boats, Motorcycle, Guns, are some thing to enjoy and not look at.