PDA

View Full Version : I've got a riddle for y'all

mcdaniel.mac
09-17-2016, 09:52 AM
When is an M1 Carbine not an M1 Carbine? When it's a pump-action .44 Magnum!

I finally have had time to start unpacking some stuff, and had a couple good finds the last couple weeks. Snagged a Lyman turret press with a set of dies, and this little oddity.

http://imgur.com/a/xNQCQ

It cost me all of $250, uses modified carbine mags as single stack .44 Mag mags. The outside is rough, some pitting, but the bore is bright. With any luck, I'll have some 25yd groups Monday.

Anyone else familiar with the Vulcan 440?

Der Gebirgsjager
09-17-2016, 10:46 AM
That's pretty neat! I think I remember an old magazine write-up on them. I'm kind of surprised that the M1 Carbine action would work with the fat .44 Mag. round......but there it is! Give us a report on how it shoots, please. After all, never know when another one might turn up.

Mk42gunner
09-17-2016, 12:19 PM
This website has a lot of info on M1 Carbines and its variants: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

Good luck with your Vulcan, I thought pretty hard about getting one of the .45 Win Mag conversions about twenty five years ago.

Robert

mcdaniel.mac
09-17-2016, 12:30 PM
.45 Win mag would be a hoot. The range I use is right next to a decent LGS, and they usually have some cheapo Korean M1 mags. It would be nice to have a couple 8 or 10rd mags.

shredder
09-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Pump action .44 mag. Hmmm I sure would love one of those if the rifling twist was not slower than 1:20

Texas by God
09-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Be Careful with the .45 win mag M1 carbines. If I recall Finn Aagard had one kaboom on him. I remember ads for the Vulcan. Just because- I would work up loads from high .44special data.

Mk42gunner
09-17-2016, 11:31 PM
As I remember it there were some reports of the bolts cracking on the .45 Win Mag conversions, maybe the 9mm Win Mag would have been better???? Seems like they were done in Michigan??

The bad thing about any cartridge with more power than a .30 Carbine in the M1 is the little gun is so light, it wouldn't take much of a round to have some pretty significant recoil.

Robert

mcdaniel.mac
10-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Welp, finally got around to digging out my target from the last range trip. The good news, it cycled well with everything from .44 SPL JHP to .44 Mag cast mystery bullets (unknown alloy and mold, 225gr weight with a decent meplat thought) with no hiccups on that end. I experimented with using only the return spring, which mostly chambered the rounds but required a little extra bump to actually chamber and fire. Trigger is about on part with a Remington 700 of similar vintage.

Now the sights are a different monkey. The enterprising fellows at Universal decided that a barrel mounted notch and post, greatly reducing the sight radius, was preferable to using a standard M1 rear sight. There's not even a dovetail! So, it's going to be some more overtime for me, and a trip to a smith to be fitted for a scope mount. I'm thinking an XS scout mount designed for the Marlin 1894 will fit with some persuasion. It would be nice to have a ghost ring in addition to the ability to mount a scope, and while I normally prefer a more conventional mount this setup is probably best suited to a 2.5x scout scope. Thankfully, holidays pay double time!

Pics of target below. I had trouble with the irons (the higher groups) but was able to settle in after some adjustments, resulting in the four-foot clusters seen.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161018/24dac0fb3d0a51720abb716317ed5d0e.jpg

A good buy for the money, all things considered!

NoAngel
10-18-2016, 04:20 PM
I met a guy at Knob Creek years ago that built an M-1 in 10mm. I'd love to work with that one.

mcdaniel.mac
10-19-2016, 06:40 AM
I have to say a .357 Mag M1 Carbine would replace several rifles for me.