PDA

View Full Version : Light vs darkness

Boaz
09-17-2016, 06:08 AM
I usually get up around 4 in the mornings , no point to it because I don't have to be to work till 8 . I have always considered it a 'mild' form of self inflected insanity . In the by gone days of yesteryear before computers and the internet I always took the newspaper. Being not very smart and a low academic achiever my only small saving grace was the fact that I loved to read . I'd be out in the front yard in my underwear about 4;30 in the morning with a flashlight trying to find where the evil/tormenting newspaper guy threw the paper . Reading the paper was an addiction .

Now a days I just do my reading on the net , got to be pretty selective what you believe there . Most 'news' is geared to appeal to specific groups as to what they want to believe or be . Not really news but just more biased opinion presented in a dramatic or factual way to deceive . Well heck , I'm just rambling now , need to get back to my initial thought .

Got up yesterday morning and it was raining . Made a pot of coffee , fed the spoiled house dogs and clicked on the Chapel . Started to post a thank you for today prayer and was thinking , typed out about half what was on my mind and BAM ! Lightning hit not far away , power went out and I was sitting in the dark . We live a little ways from town and lose power several times a year so we keep candles , flashlights and such .
Had to feel my way around in pitch black to find the Bic lighter and a candle . As I went through the process of fumbling around working by feel trying to get enough light to be able to function it came to me .
Mention of GOD's light is repeated many times in our bible . It is promoted/sought by many . Light is crucial and necessary in our daily lives , without it we are in darkness . Living in his light seems hard for some . I suppose they think it's too restrictive or confining to conform to GOD's word and law . We have all strayed from his light and usually it doesn't work out too well but he always takes us back through his unbelievable grace and love for us . We believe and have faith in a merciful GOD , he is constant , he forgives , he is true , he is our light . When things start getting dark it's time to consider drawing closer to that light .

Yesterday morning we had light .

http://i.imgur.com/sYogz7W.jpg

Hickory
09-17-2016, 06:40 AM
This is a good analogy, God provides the light of His Word to show us the way. Anything else, and we are just stumbling through life in darkness. Truth, in its self, is a light.

"I am the way, the truth and the life." Good words.

Pine Baron
09-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Wonderful analogy, Boaz. If I might expand this a little. Even with the lights out or the sun down there is always some ambient light. We just need to be patient and allow our "night vision" to develop. Just as sometimes our lives seem to be "in darkness", God's light is always there. We just need to be patient and wait for our "night vision".

Boaz
09-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Will GOD ever abandon you in the darkness ?

Deuteronomy 31;6
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Deuteronomy 31;8

And the Lord, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

Isaiah 42;16

And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

Blackwater
09-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Amen, Boaz. It always seems surprising to most to see a man in deep trouble, and he actually seems to be enjoying it! But with the right attitude, it makes all the sense in the world. Like most things in life, it's all in how we look at it, and whether we realize that "everything works to the good for those who love the Lord." If we fall in His service, we get to Heaven a little early. If we live, we've spent our time in His service. It's always a win/win situation as long as we're following Him. What a wonderful position THAT is!

Hogtamer
09-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Not only does God provide light, John tells us 3 things about God in 1st John:

1) God IS Light.
2) God IS Spirit.
3) God IS Love.

Three simple declarative sentences, see if you can spot them. Easy to read over. So much in 5 short chapters!

Focus on His Light; it's everywhere and illuminates all of the universe.
Walk in His Spirit; it's all around and in you.
Abide in His Love; for God, your children, your wife, your neighbor.

The essence and mystery of Almighty God.

Boaz
09-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Thank you Hogtamer ! I agree .

GhostHawk
09-19-2016, 09:45 PM
I trust in the Lord, I do my best to walk in his light. And I have a 9$ 125 lumen key chain flashlight attached to my 15$ Ganzo 728 which has a similar opening system as the "speedsafe" made by Kershaw. I love it, grab the flashlight, pull, the knife clip slides off my pocket, knife slips into my hand, finger reaches and flicks and voila it is open. It really only takes 2 seconds from the time my hand touches the flashlight until the knife blade is deployed and ready.

Yes I believe in the Lord, I also believe the Lord helps best those who help themselves.
Those who are prepared and ready. I do not ever want to have to hurt anyone. Truly I do not. But never again will I be defenseless and unable and unwilling to do anything.

Blackwater
09-21-2016, 12:24 AM
That's simple good judgment, Ghost. "A strong man armed keepeth his house in good order." So we're never supposed to be pacifists. Just resort to self defense only when it's really necessary. And you're clearly not the kind of guy to ever use it without necessity. Keep your mind at ease. It has the side effect of helping you plan responses better and faster, and makes your actions and reactions quicker. Even in adversity, God's advice is always the best available for us, and often in ways we'd never anticipated. But .... that's why He gave it to us in the first place! He knew we had a tendency to miss things if we're not given good instructions to follow when in doubt. Truly, He's the most loving God possible!